Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are new to shooting and dont really understand the options.
Can someone explain them in layman's terms.
I.e. Lewis, Calcutta etc

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
Lewis: They line up the scores of all those that paid.
Then based on the number of shooters and the number of classes they begin to draw lines.
Top score(s) always win a share of the pot.
The scores just below the lines usually get paid a portion of the pot. They are specific rules if there are a bunch of scores where the line is drawn.
So basically it is the luck of the draw, for everyone except for the top shooter.

Calcutta: This is where the shooters that buy in are auctioned off. The shooters entrance fees plus the money from the auction creates a pot. The pot is divided among the winning scores. Shooters usually get 30% and buyer gets 70% of the place money.

How the money is divided is usually High Gun or Percentage. Simple example: Percentage 60/40, top scores get the 60% 2nd top scores get40%.
High Gun 60/40, if there are 2 or more top scores they divide the pot. 2 top score each get 50% each.

The 25 and 100 are pretty straight forward. The 50 there can be as many as 4 fifties.
You got questions on those and others ask.

Jason

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, I'm not quite there but my son probably is.
I should always bet on him the little turd always finds it in him to win.

·
Registered
6,081 Posts
Google the book "Trap Options" from the Scattergun Press and order a copy. It explains every option known to man.

Ed

·
Registered
7 Posts
Scattergun Press published a small book (56 pages) titled "Trap Options". I'm not sure if it is still in print, but you might try contacting the publisher. I have a copy of the 4th printing from 2002, so this contact information, which appears in the book, might not be valid but for what it's worth, try Scattergun Press 4919 Westview Drive, Austin TX 78731 Phone 512.419.9345

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
X2 fan,

That is true some of the time. Some of the time I get my money back.
A few times I have hit the mini jack pot. I shot an 81 at the Golden West Grand at Reno and I was talking to my self. The next morning checking the pay out sheet there was $284 by my name. I have hit over $100 at the Grand American a few times to.

Jason

·
Premium Member
3,427 Posts
I'm not sure but I read somewhere that the Lewis Option is named after one or both of the late, great comedians Jerry or Joe E. Lewis as this Option puts some much needed fun back in the otherwise tense and anxiety-ridden competitive nature of the "game"...

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
An old gentleman I shoot with always said take your lewis money from one pocket and put in another and you will be a winner every time.I only play when I feel lucky.

·
Registered
3,852 Posts
Lewis class is nothing but a gamble and has nothing to do with shooting ability.

The other options are usually kept within class. so the Oklahomas or 50's you are only competing against people in your own class. These are fun to play when you are a new shooter moving up in class, but they don't pay anything in the high classes at a big shoot.

At the World shoot, in AA and AAA classes, you typically bet $5 to maybe win $7....what's the point?

·
Premium Member
569 Posts
I don’t always play the options but will usually always play them in handicap at a large shoot. Usually just the regular Lewis and sometimes the eastern purse. If you go to RJ Stuart web site look under shoot scores and then pick payouts you’ll see why. Yes there is a bit of luck involved but if you break mid to upper 80s in handicap odds are you’ll get more than you money back

·
Registered
7 Posts
Old Goat.

The Trap Options book says this: "Lewis Purses Sometime prior to 1920, Mr. James Lewis then referred to as "the popular trade representative," invented a system that is usually the most-played option on any Program."

Perhaps someone will know more about Mr. James Lewis.

·
Premium Member
3,427 Posts
Old Goat.

The Trap Options book says this: "Lewis Purses Sometime prior to 1920, Mr. James Lewis then referred to as "the popular trade representative," invented a system that is usually the most-played option on any Program."

Perhaps someone will know more about Mr. James Lewis.
Thanks for this info. My posting is just an example of my warped sense of humor.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts