Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 90 Posts

·
Banned
1,379 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone use an Optima Titanium choke. If so how do you like it.

·
Registered
597 Posts
Which brand are you asking about, Briley Optima Ti or Extreme Optima Ti chokes?

I bought a set of used Briley INV. Plus Ti chokes for a Browning 425. I can't tell any difference in patterning performance from the
standard Briley stainless INV.Plus chokes.

Once installed the weight difference is unnoticeable between each type.

Eddie

·
Registered
21,600 Posts
It's a choke. What do you hope to gain by spending the extra money for one made of titanium? I'll guarantee you the only thing you'll notice with the titanium choke is your wallet will be lighter.

My recommendation, buy a Briley Spectrum and be done with it.

·
Administrator
8,271 Posts
Im with Titan on the titanium chokes. I have used various Titanium chokes and after spending quite a bit of time on the pattern board was not able to see where I would gain by making my wallet lighter.
I have a Beretta Unico 400 series semi auto and was able to spend some time with it and was please with the results from the factory chokes.
I know some like to trim weight here and there but for me the less weight of a titanium choke is not worth the investment as I do not notice it.
I understand you shoot in a chair, are you thinking that the slightly less weight on the muzzle might be of benefit? I know some look at that angle.

·
Banned
1,379 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Im with Titan on the titanium chokes. I have used various Titanium chokes and after spending quite a bit of time on the pattern board was not able to see where I would gain by making my wallet lighter.
I have a Beretta Unico 400 series semi auto and was able to spend some time with it and was please with the results from the factory chokes.
I know some like to trim weight here and there but for me the less weight of a titanium choke is not worth the investment as I do not notice it.
I understand you shoot in a chair, are you thinking that the slightly less weight on the muzzle might be of benefit? I know some look at that angle.
I see they are saying that plastic build up occurs slower. Basically the only reason I would spend the money for 2 of them is to save time cleaning my chokes.

·
Registered
3,116 Posts
Lord, the thought of spraying choke tubes with solvent and then giving a quick brushing and reaming?? Exhausting! And so time-consuming! Happily, I'm retired and can afford the three minutes it takes to deal with those hard-to-clean tubes.

·
Banned
1,379 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Lord, the thought of spraying choke tubes with solvent and then giving a quick brushing and reaming?? Exhausting! And so time-consuming! Happily, I'm retired and can afford the three minutes it takes to deal with those hard-to-clean tubes.
Thanks to exposure during my military service I became hypersensitive to organic solvents. So I try not to be in the same area where they exist. Skin and lungs do not respond well.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
The main advantage of Titanium chokes is lighter weight at the end of the barrel. Beyond that, the metal itself will not improve a pattern over any other metal. Design shapes and lengths may make a slight difference, but in most cases it's subtle -- IOW a Mod from 3rd party manufacturer A is going to pattern about the same as the Mod that came with your gun...

Back to weight, many folks think it's such a small amount it won't matter, while others claim they can feel the difference in swing. I am of the latter group, and happen to like Extreme Ti chokes for that reason on my O/U because it's a more noticeable double weight savings there. I don't find them noticeably advantageous on my single-barrel guns...

All offered FWIW only...

·
Banned
1,379 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The main advantage of Titanium chokes is lighter weight at the end of the barrel. Beyond that, the metal itself will not improve a pattern over any other metal. Design shapes and lengths may make a slight difference, but in most cases it's subtle -- IOW a Mod from 3rd party manufacturer A is going to pattern about the same as the Mod that came with your gun...

Back to weight, many folks think it's such a small amount it won't matter, while others claim they can feel the difference in swing. I am of the latter group, and happen to like Extreme Ti chokes for that reason on my O/U because it's a more noticeable double weight savings there. I don't find them noticeably advantageous on my single-barrel guns...

All offered FWIW only...
Thank you. I hadn't considered a weight advantage as I was more concerned with the Titanium chokes reported ability to not have plastic build up occur as quickly as it does in steel chokes. Another reason is to have a set of the chokes I use most for shooting as backups in case I accidentally damage one like dropping it on my concrete patio.

·
Banned
7,659 Posts
Take notes, look at your breaks, also note what shells you are using--if you are vaporizing targets with a certain brand of ammo & choke @ a certain yardage don't change a thing.

To quote old farmers--"if it ain't broke--don't mess with it"

Phil Berkowitz

1 - 20 of 90 Posts