Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Supporting Vendor
10,237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
A couple or summers ago I was involved in a bit of a paradox involving a shoot off with a 14 year old kid that still comes up in local conversation every now and again. Typically, I size up the situation and decide wether or not to just let the kid win or be the bad guy and give him Hell. Anyway, my pal said "no way Joe, that kid's shooting a $10,000 gun...he needs to learn that it's not always just given to him". So, I beat the little snot. His father was scowling at me as if I just whacked his Son with a stick.

Anyway, not the first time that's happened and was just wondering if anyone had any similar experiences?

·
Premium Member
11,839 Posts
You did the right thing; is it competition or not?

·
Registered
313 Posts
We all get into a money shoot to win the money. Regardless who it is if they enter they should be able to accept the fact they might get beat. I used to shoot against my own son years ago and I never let him beat me. When he started beating me I never saw him let me win. That is the only way it should be.

Ross Randall

·
Registered
478 Posts
I am the father of two son's that shoot trap, one 19 and the other is 12. I would hope and expect the rest of the competition to shoot their best possible. If they beat you, they beat you. If they lose, they lose. Anything less is cheating the kid.
I would be more upset if you gave it away. It would be right up there with one of my kid's accepting a lost target as dead.

You did the right thing.

Todd

·
Registered
769 Posts
No way should you question that decision. Everyone has to learn at some time that despite the K or P-gun it's not always sunshine and summertime.

·
Registered
6,114 Posts
You did the right thing. I've been there and it's hard, but new competitive shooters have to learn how to win AND lose. You owe it to them to give it your best.

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
As a teen, I was in a big ass handicap shootoff with Gene Sears, big time All American. It was no small potatoes event. He whipped me, 25-23. After several years of therapy, I can finally accept it.

For goodness sakes, you don't "let" someone beat you...with the possible exception of a terminally ill child with cameras rolling.

·
Registered
690 Posts
I am the father of two son's that shoot trap, one 19 and the other is 12. I would hope and expect the rest of the competition to shoot their best possible. If they beat you, they beat you. If they lose, they lose. Anything less is cheating the kid.
I would be more upset if you gave it away. It would be right up there with one of my kid's accepting a lost target as dead.

You did the right thing.

Todd
Well put Dad.
Personally I agree with you 100 percent.

·
Registered
3,644 Posts
I will always go after "little snots" with "scowling fathers". Always save at least one shell for the scowling father in case he gets out of line.

·
Registered
686 Posts
I shot a lot of trap as a youngster (11 - 15 years old) and was fairly proficient at it. I beat many an adult in a shoot off, but also got beat probably the same amount of times. I would hope looking back now that of those adults that I happened to out shoot none of them "let" me win. I would have never wanted that as a young person and I never got the impression that anyone allowed me to win because I was young. My folks would have not stood for that either. When young folks shoot with adults they need to know that they are shooting as equals.

·
Registered
225 Posts
You did the right thing in this particular instance . I really like the fact that " you typically size up the situation before you decided to let the kid win or not. I bet you have, or would, let a kid win under what you considered,to be the right reason. We all like to win, but winning is not every thing.

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
I agree with everyone above. There is a commercial on TV where the kid gets a "Participant" trophy, and Dad says "NO WAY", rips the plate off and writes in "Champion" the kids won all their games! In real life not everyone wins all the time. Couple of years ago I didn't pre squad for a State shoot and I was squaded with 4 AIM kids, trust me it looked funny, but I had a ball. I shot my best and they did too and one of the little snots really beat me! I always see the kids at local shoots and even working shoots and they are GREAT. May the better shot win! Steve

·
Administrator
8,657 Posts
You should always shoot to win, anything else would not only be cheating yourself but also giving a false sense of accomplishment to the kid. You mentioned he was shooting a 10k shotgun. I have seen a lot of that and it blows me away to a certain extent because I think back to how hard I worked for my shotguns and what I started on and when I go to some shoots and I see a lot of kid's running around with a K or P gun and Im going it took me years to save money to get one of those.I feel it is great that the kids are out there competing and it is good for the shotgun industry that they are selling some nice clay target guns but on the other hand I think to myself OK I worked my butt off for what Im stepping to the line with and here comes this 14 year old with a K-80 or a Perazzi RS and I wonder if they will ever experience having to really really work and save for that nice shotgun?

1 - 20 of 43 Posts