Trapshooters Forum banner

Let’s talk powders

4K views 29 replies 23 participants last post by  slowshooter 
No need to get anal about shotgun powders IMHO. I used Clays for a long time as I was shooting CAS and Clays made a nice light load for .38's and 12 ga. You will be fine with it. Better than "fine" IMHO.

I switched to Promo for 12 ga when I got serious about Trap as it is cheap. It is a freaking shot shell...it just does not matter. Do not listen the experts that spout one powder shoots "softer" than another. Placebos "work" too.

I buy whatever goes on sale and buy a lot of it so I do not worry about it. I have over100 lbs of powder that works in shotshells and pistol calibers. Last powder purchase was 30 lbs of CleanShot and I had never used it. Got a great deal and free shipping and HazMat. Got if for pistol loads, and if I am not happy with it in the pistols will burn it up in 12 ga loads.

Now, some powders meter better than others but the charge to charge variation in shotshells is immaterial. More of an issue loading pistols and at maximum pistol loads.

Right now, powder choices may be limited and/or higher priced. Make a list of powders that will work and go shopping.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.