Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
'07 Kolar Max TA 3bbl set, Jeff Mainland fitted
2,725 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had loaded HCP loads with American Select & Remington Primers in STS Hulls, forgetting they don't like cool, not cold, weather. It was 45F and by the the third post I got a blooper, and had bloopers for the rest of the round. I've got a couple of flats remaining, but will save 'em for summer shooting. Having migrated from Green Dot which is also temp sensitive at very cold temps ~20F and below, the thought was: this stuff costs more so must be better....NOT.

best.... mike

·
Premium Member
10,525 Posts
All powders are cold sensitive but 45f shouldn't cause your problem. I've shot Red dot and Green dot down to zero. I did, however, not store any shells, new or reloaded, in the cold. The guys that stored their shells in their car/truck had the problems.

·
Registered
3,631 Posts
I've also noticed a few odd sounding\feeling reloaded shells in cold temps when tgt shooting but never hunting (usually new shells) and I've hunted in some pretty cold weather in Iowa. (didn't say I was very smart) Think they must do\have something we reloaders don't have access to. Ross Puls

·
Registered
'07 Kolar Max TA 3bbl set, Jeff Mainland fitted
2,725 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I believe the issue here is the combination of American Select, being the most sensitive to cold of the powders I've used, and Remington primers. Those who have switched to Federal and CCI 209M primers haven't reported the problem, especially with American Select. The only reason I mentioned this, because of the shortage of components, as a reminder to avoid the combination of American Select and Remington primers.

best... mike

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
At $40-50 / 1000, it's not hard to avoid Remington primers. Can't think of a good reason not to use a Fed209A or a CCI209M year round. I've been using Green Dot with a hot primer and 1 ounce of shot forever. They ride in the truck year round and I've used them after an overnight at 10 degrees without bloopers.

Not sayin folks don't have problems, but there are dozens of good target recipes that work perfectly at any reasonable temperature. IME, they all START with a hot primer.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts