Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When fitting a new gun to a new shooter which comes 1st length of pull vs height of comb?? Some out there say the tip of the nose should match a mark on the stock 5 3/4 inches from the trigger.?? Some say 2 fingers between the nose and the thumb knuckle. Are they about the same?? I feel the comb height should be adjusted last to make the gun shooter higher or lower based on the persons point of aim and sight picture.
I would be happy to entertain any and all comments. Need to make an informed decision before I get out the saw.
Thanks for the help
Lee

·
Registered
4,006 Posts
IMHO, establish LOP first. If the stock is too long there will be a tendency to move the butt out towards the arm which will actually make the comb seem to be too low.

·
Registered
3,350 Posts
If your comb is not a parallel comb, wouldn't the drop be affected if you didn't figure out the LOP first?

Ajax

·
Registered
7,950 Posts
I'd start from LOP.

·
Registered
4,997 Posts
I'd start by buying Rollin's book and reading it twice.
Stock Fitter's Bible

·
Registered
3,446 Posts
A monte carlo stock has the comb the same all the way from front to back.. If that's the case l.o.p . should be the only consideration

·
Registered
4,006 Posts
A monte carlo stock has the comb the same all the way from front to back.. If that's the case l.o.p . should be the only consideration
Even a monte carlo stock can be too high or low. All depends on the shooters build.

Reactions: WesleyB

·
Registered
148 Posts
LOP should be your first adjustment afterwards if a non parallel comb the point of impact will depend on the clothing worn ( winter coat will affect the head position on the stock), on a parallel comb the point of impact will not be too much affected as will the swing of the gun.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts