Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hopefully this review will help anyone looking to purchase a Legacy Pointer shotgun.

In October of 2017, I bought a Legacy Pointer 1000 12ga from a Sportsman's Warehouse in Colorado Springs. The gun was for my son to use to as he was starting out shooting trap. Within the first couple of weeks of having the gun, he started having trouble closing the action. Basically, it was taking several tries to get it to stay closed. On his second practice, the breech came partially open while he was firing the gun. I called LSI and the gun was sent back for warranty repair. I paid shipping and insurance. The gun was returned a couple of weeks later saying it was fixed. The gun continued to malfunction. The gun was eventually replaced with a new Legacy Pointer 1000. A couple of months after receiving the replacement shotgun, I took it out for a test run on a skeet course. About 10 shells into the first round, the gun fired both barrels simultaneously. The unexpected recoil of both barrels firing knocked my glasses off and bruised my shoulder and cheek. I took it home and gave it a thorough cleaning. A few weeks later, I garnered the nerve to try it again. This time on sporting clays. I was still on the first station when it fired both barrels simultaneously again. Utterly disgusted, I cleaned the gun and put it back in the box. After about a year and a half, I decided to give LSI one more go at fixing this problem. I contacted LSI and talked to a very nice lady in their warranty department. She immediately addressed the problem and apologized that this had happened. However, she said that LSI would only consider replacing it with yet another one of their field guns. Being somewhat leery of their field guns, I asked if I could have it upgraded to the Legacy Pointer SCT which is their competition grade shotgun. She said I could, but would have to pay the difference. I told her I would pay the difference if necessary. I was hoping that LSI would offer it to me wholesale or at least at a discount just as an apology or a thank you for not filing a lawsuit for having a gun malfunction twice. No, LSI was content with making me pay MSRP. I went ahead and paid the MSRP difference. I received the gun on May 18, 2020. If you have read this far and are wondering how the Legacy Pointer SCT performed, then continue reading. First impressions right out of the box were that the gun feels well made and the wood is beautiful. First weekend after receiving the new gun, I took it with me to my team's practice (I coach a youth competitive clay shooting team here in Colorado Springs). I shot trap with it and shot a straight 25 with the first 25 shots. The gun definitely interested quite a few people as they asked about the brand and asked if they could handle the gun. So far, I'm excited about the Pointer SCT. It swings and shoots well. On the patterning board, it shoots roughly a 60/40 pattern which I like. This last dealing with LSI Warranty was much better than the first. Everything was done in a timely manner and they actually paid shipping this time. I'm still disappointed in having to pay MSRP, but it is what it is.

·
Registered
3,116 Posts
Let's see...now where are these guns made? Hmmm. Dang, it's right on the tip of my tongue.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes, they are made in Turkey. Where they are made is not as important as how they are made. I have guns that were made in China 6 decades ago that still shoot flawlessly. I didn't expect to get 250k rounds out of it, but I was hoping to at least get through a box. I bought my son a Citori right after the first malfunction and it has been perfect. I hope this latest Pointer holds up far at lest a little while. When it's done this time, I'll turn it into a wall decoration. Lol

·
Registered
9,376 Posts
I have owned several guns in my day and have found one common thread in my experience. If you want a dependable two hole shotgun ( either O/U or SxS ) your'e going to have to put out some cash. If you are on a tight budget ,You are better off buying a good used "Wing Master" 870 Trap, a good used Model 12, a used BT-99 , or Citori , 1100 Trap, or Beretta 391 than spending money on most "inexpensive " two shot shotguns . I know that sounds judgmental but ,I am speaking from well over half a century of experience. I was bitten a couple of times on cheap O/U shotguns . I shy away from them now. I think you made a wise choice on the Citori .

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have owned several guns in my day and have found one common thread in my experience. If you want a dependable two hole shotgun ( either O/U or SxS ) your'e going to have to put out some cash. If you are on a tight budget ,You are better off buying a good used "Wing Master" 870 Trap, a good used Model 12, a used BT-99 , or Citori , 1100 Trap, or Beretta 391 than spending money on most "inexpensive " two shot shotguns . I know that sounds judgmental but ,I am speaking from well over half a century of experience. I was bitten a couple of times on cheap O/U shotguns . I shy away from them now. I think you made a wise choice on the Citori .
Yes, I generally avoid cheap guns as well. I had bought this one to see if my son would maintain interest before dropping 2-3k on a better gun. I knew the gun would never hold up to many years of clay shooting, but it should have been able to hold up through a couple hundred rounds. I, also, have acquired many guns in my life. Some of them are cheaper; some of them are very, very expensive. When I acquire a "cheaper" gun, I generally have lower expectations.

·
Premium Member
349 Posts
I understand your frustration .I have some expensive guns but also shoot a Tristar viper sporting.It has had many rounds through it without a single problem.The young shooter s enjoy it.Your not a slow learner ! It is your money .

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I understand your frustration .I have some expensive guns but also shoot a Tristar viper sporting.It has had many rounds through it without a single problem.The young shooter s enjoy it.Your not a slow learner ! It is your money .
A lot of these "old" guys think anything less than a Perazzi, Krieghoff, or Guerini is a "cheap" gun.

·
Premium Member
349 Posts
I am an old guy and will soon be 78 yrs. young.I do not feel that way at all! I still love to shoot ,hunt and fish every chance I get.I know exactly what you are saying and I hope your pointer serves you well! Good luck and enjoy shooting.

·
Super Moderator
3,095 Posts
I asked if I could have it upgraded to the Legacy Pointer SCT which is their competition grade shotgun. She said I could, but would have to pay the difference. I told her I would pay the difference if necessary.
Good money after bad, IMHO.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts