Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a 687 and it has a right handed swell. My son is a leftie. Would there really be a problems with the difference in the stock? Because I can't find a left handed stock as of now.

·
Registered
856 Posts
One real quick way to find out. Have him go to the range and shoot it. It he likes it, leave it alone for now. If not, keep searching for a lefty or neutral stock. A friend just picked up a 682. He shoots left handed. His scores jumped significantly.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I'm second generation lefty and both of my son's are lefty too. I've never used or needed a gun with the left palm swell. All my life I've had to adapt to a right handed world, so it doesn't pose any problem for me. I'm thinking he's not going to have much of a problem either.

·
Registered
2,476 Posts
The palm swell is not the major problem. If the gun does not have a factory or Joel Etchen adjustable comb the stock will most likely have cast off. If your son has trouble getting his eye lined up with the rib don't let him shoot it yet.

If Joel Etchen or Cole's does not have a left hand 68x stock to sell, another option is to pick up a 682 stock with a factory or Joel Etchen adjustable comb. I am pretty sure that these stocks have neutral cast, ie no cast. Adjust the comb so his eye looks right down the rib.

Jason

·
Banned
1,379 Posts
Finding a left handed stock for my 682 was basically impossible. I went with a PFS and haven't looked back.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Once I shot a true left had stock, I never went back to a RH one. A lefty will more than likely need a cast on stock, (most RH stocks are cast off), plus a lot of RH stocks will have a toe out which is oposite to what a lefty needs.
I shoot a parallel, offset comb, with toe out.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I'm a lefty and I shoot trap with a right handed SV10 sporting. I know, all mixed up.
I have trouble getting proper sight alignment without really stretching my neck over the top of the stock(sounds more awkward than it looks) but it bites your cheek and I'm getting sick of coming home with bruises. Makes for an awkward dinner with the wife. But after shooting it enough you can compensate to still hit all 25.
So I'm switching to an actual left handed trap gun from Joel Etchen. Hopefully that solves my issues after I get it adjusted to me.
FYI Cole gunsmithing has a wide range of 682 stocks in left and right.

·
Registered
18,650 Posts
I'm a lefty and I shoot trap with a right handed SV10 sporting. I know, all mixed up.
I have trouble getting proper sight alignment without really stretching my neck over the top of the stock(sounds more awkward than it looks) but it bites your cheek and I'm getting sick of coming home with bruises. Makes for an awkward dinner with the wife. But after shooting it enough you can compensate to still hit all 25.
So I'm switching to an actual left handed trap gun from Joel Etchen. Hopefully that solves my issues after I get it adjusted to me.
FYI Cole gunsmithing has a wide range of 682 stocks in left and right.
It's real easy to say; "What took you so long?", but very few starting shooters know that anything other than a neutral-at-best shotgun is even available. Hope you can get your adjustments made quickly so you can learn _not_ to crane.your neck over the comb.

·
Registered
104 Posts
It's real easy to say; "What took you so long?", but very few starting shooters know that anything other than a neutral-at-best shotgun is even available. Hope you can get your adjustments made quickly so you can learn _not_ to crane.your neck over the comb.
Thank you. I'm also a really tall guy so it's always a struggle to get things to fit me properly...like a gun stock. I bought my SV10 not knowing really what left or right cast was nor did I think it would really effect how the gun feels. Little did I know. Expensive lesson learned. Now I'm trying to sell it.

·
Registered
471 Posts
It depends on how much cast off it has and to some extent his gun mount. I agree with tigger1292, let him try it and see. I shoot left handed and do not have a problem with most right hand guns. I would check his eye dominance. If he is right eye dominant, that may cause a bigger problem.

·
Registered
5,267 Posts
I got a 687 and it has a right handed swell. My son is a leftie. Would there really be a problems with the difference in the stock? Because I can't find a left handed stock as of now.
The palm swell is for the most part, irrelevant. That is unless it interferes with his grip. Then you could sand it down.

But several potential problems could arise with a leftie shooting a rightie stock unless it's neutral. But a good many Beretta stocks have offset/cast built into the stock. If the stock has cast, moving the comb alone has the tendency to beat up the face. Even if it doesn't, it could cause your son to develop a style/stance that will reduce his development and decrease his proficiency not only now bit long term

1 - 15 of 15 Posts