Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
15,893 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lee Marvin passed away in 1987. Was one of my favorite actors from The Greatest Generation. Loved his part in The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance.

Happy Birthday Lee.

Do you have a favorite Lee Marvin movie or TV appearance?

·
Molon Labe
11,990 Posts
He did a bunch of good ones, Paint Your Wagon, Kat Baloo (sp) Dirty Dozen

·
Premium Member
18,773 Posts
Donavan's Reef with the Duke, and the Dirty Dozen come to mind. Personally, I liked all of his work.

An interesting side note- On the Johnny Carson Show one time, Lee told Johnny the story of being shot in the ass at Iwo Jima. He was being carried down the hill on a stretcher, and was stopped by his CO, and was asked where he got it. Lee said in the ass. His CO laughed. His CO was Bob Keeshan, better known as 'Captain Kangaroo'.

·
Registered
8,217 Posts
Charlie, Your story about Lee Marvin and Bob Keeshan has been debunked on this site many times.

Further down the link above talks about Mr Rodgers also.

·
Premium Member
18,773 Posts
I didn't know that. I stand corrected.

·
Registered
563 Posts
Bob Keeshan was not at Iwo. He graduated from High School in 1945, enlisted in the Marines but never left the states. Lee Marvin was wounded in the butt at Saipan not Iwo and was never awarded the Navy Cross.

Just another story from Hollywood not meaning to degrade Lee Marvin's service as he did his job.. There are numerous Hollywood stories about war heroes, the funniest being that Mr. Roberts was a former Navy SEAL in RVN with 25 confirmed kills..

My favorite Lee Marvin movie, easy, Cat Ballou..

Van

·
Registered
25,277 Posts
My favorite Lee Marvin movies: Dirty Dozen, Bad Day at Black Rock, Monte Walsh and Emperor of the North, sometimes titled Emperor of the North Pole.

Emperor of the North was filmed on the Oregon, Pacific and Eastern RR out of Cottage Grove, Oregon. If any of you are steam locomotive buffs this is a movie worth finding. The railroad is gone now, but 2-8-2 number 19 is still running in Yreka.

Edit: The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance. How could I forget that one?

·
Supporting Vendor
9,952 Posts
He destroyed his image with me when I saw the film Paint Your Wagon. What a stupid movie. He managed to redeem himself a bit when he co-stared with Charles Bronson in Death Hunt though.

·
Molon Labe
11,990 Posts
I remember when he got some award for Cat Ballou he said that they should have given the award to the horse that appeared drunk with Lee sitting on it and the horse was leaning against a wall

·
Registered
25,277 Posts
Paint Your Wagon was funny. Not great, just funny.

Death Hunt was pretty cool.

·
Registered
849 Posts
Do not forget Hillary storming Bosnia, dodging sniper fire on the tarmac. Good training for the next commander in chief!

·
Registered
3,798 Posts
Try this one....lee the musician

·
Registered
6,034 Posts
I remember two Lee Marvin films and can't remember the names. One he was in with Angie Dickenson somewhere in Alaska....the other he is a soldier stranded on an Island with a Japanese soldier and he takes a leak off a small cliff on the Japanese soldiers head. Damn that was hilarious. Anybody remember the names of those two movies? ed

·
Registered
3,158 Posts
Trapperwads - that movie was "Hell in the Pacific" - starred Lee Marvin and Toshiro Mifune.

Funny this thread came up...my wife and I watched The Dirty Dozen yesterday - we both agreed that there are no actors (male) in today's movies that can compare. What happened to real men in Hollywood?

·
Registered
25,277 Posts
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/5jn-ZS7g8xs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Emperor of the North movie trailer.

My family and I have ridden that train while on vacation. Nice 35 mile trip out of Cottage Grove. The Oregon, Pacific and Eastern was mainly a logging railroad but ran steam engines and passenger cars for tourists. We stopped there one day to ride again, but missed the last train of the day. The conductor said that Number 19 was going a short ways across town to the engine house, and invited my sister and I to ride in the cab. She got to ring the bell and blow the whistle, and I got to run the throttle.

This railroad was also used for the silent 1926 Buster Keaton movie The General (see link above). In the movie, the locomotive Texas drops to its destruction through a burning bridge. This is considered one of the top silent movies ever made.

Sadly, the railroad is gone, replaced by hiking/biking trails.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oregon,_Pacific_and_Eastern_Railway

There are a couple of photos of Number 19 and Number 5 at the above link. Both were used in the Lee Marvin movie.

·
Registered
995 Posts
Of course I remember the negatives: "Palamony" law suit against him by obnoxious sweety Michelle Triolla (sp?). A landmark legal support for your live-in after you split.
dju

1 - 20 of 39 Posts