Trapshooters Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
Positives: They are inexpensive, come with all the necessary bushings and load acceptable shells.
Negatives: The loading process on the Lee Loader is a little slow, mostly plastic parts and resale may be difficult but they should sell on Ebay.

Had them in 12, 16 and 20 at one time. Loaded +or- 200 week on the 12 with no problem and the 16/20 ga loaders were great for making up a few hunting loads as needed.

·
Registered
684 Posts
Positives: They are inexpensive, come with all the necessary bushings and load acceptable shells.
Negatives: The loading process on the Lee Loader is a little slow, mostly plastic parts and resale may be difficult but they should sell on Ebay.

Had them in 12, 16 and 20 at one time. Loaded +or- 200 week on the 12 with no problem and the 16/20 ga loaders were great for making up a few hunting loads as needed.
Ditto. They are fine for starting out and for loading your hunting loads. I also have three and I use them for hunting loads and new load development.If you just shoot the odd local league and are only shooting 50 or 75 rounds per week they are all you need. They are just fine and are no faster or slower than any other single stage press. Also very good for teaching young people to reload.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
OP here...thank you for all of your input.
Biggest problem I am having so far is with the primer feed tray. Darn primers stick near the bottom and won't progress. I end of having to shake the feeder tray and that is a pain every few loads. These were not expensive so it is not a big deal.

·
Registered
5,635 Posts
Lee does fairly well with metallic reloading and making dies,

But they really did not spend anything building the shotshell loader..

DGH

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Get a lightly used MEC off eBay. They are a dime a dozen. You will be much happier.....
I have done that as the tray primer feeder is really not designed well..primers stick near the bottom and I have to take a pencil to advance them every 3-4 loads. This has been very frustrating.
Thank you

·
Registered
684 Posts
OP here...thank you for all of your input.
Biggest problem I am having so far is with the primer feed tray. Darn primers stick near the bottom and won't progress. I end of having to shake the feeder tray and that is a pain every few loads. These were not expensive so it is not a big deal.
Ditch the primer feed. Put them in by hand.

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
I bought one several years ago at a yard sale for 25.00 it came with 2 bags is wads a bag of shot and a couple of cans of 452 powder. I ended up giving it to a youth shooter who still has it. It loaded Ok put the progressives were my thing.

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
Now that's a deal. Loader, wads, shot and powder for $25. Good to hear that a youth shooter has the benefit of the loader.
Don't you just love a bargain.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I have two. One I use for 20 ga the other I have now modified to make 3-1/2" loads.
They are fine. I mean a MEC is nicer. That's the truth but they work fine. IMO the part about the Lee that would make a lot of people struggle is you can't make adjustments. You can't set depths. It is all done by feel. Making it difficult to be consistent for some people. For other it may make it seem almost impossible to make a decent load on one. We aren't all created equal. Some of us do very well doing things by feel but others don't. I think this is the biggest disadvantage with the Lee. But hey for the money you really can't lose.

·
5,396 Posts
The LLA2 was a good starter tool. Used mine for about a year until I figured out what I really wanted.

So easy to learn the process on that machine and the tool came with everything. After the year, sold it for nearly what I paid for it... then went progressive...

I've owned a Jr. and it wasn't any great shakes to me...

·
Registered
119 Posts
It was a good starter re-loader for me. I bought it because I did not know any better and also did not know if
re-loading was for me. After I got more comfortable with reloading and decided that I liked it, I went ahead and invested on a Mec Jr. which I
might add was the next level up for me. I also taught my son how to reload on the Lee load all as a starter. We eventually graduated from both Lee load all and Mec Jr. to the
Mec 9000. Been using it since. I also passed the Lee load all to my brother as a stepping stone to see if he liked re-loading. He eventually moved on to the Mec Jr. which I sold to him.
Even though I could've started with the Mec Jr. from the beginning, the Lee Load all was more readily available than the Mec Jr. at the time and Lee Load all was really cheap pricewise. At least this way
I wouldn't have lost much if I decided that I didn't like re-loading after all. Everything worked out in the end.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts