Trapshooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am pretty new to target shooting and am seriously considering starting to re-load. I have run several calculators and realize that it won't be that cost effective, and while I accept that fact it is still frustrating.

I want to re-load because I believe I will enjoy the process and the pride that comes with making my own shells. Saving money won't be my top priority - learning the ins and outs of reloading will be.

I will probably shoot between 200-400 shells a month when the weather warms up and am trying to determine what loading press I should buy. While I've read that the MEC is a better machine - and much much faster, I'm just not sure if it makes sense for someone like me to shell out four times the money to get a MEC considering the volume of shells I'll be re-loading.

I would greatly appreciate any thoughts, comments, and advice.

Thanks - Chase

·
Registered
595 Posts
I was recently in your same situation , and trust me the mec is the way to go. I absolutely love my mec 600jr.

·
Registered
791 Posts
I've owned a used both.
While the Load-all will load a good looking shell, the MEC is made to last and is worth the difference.
My Lee broke after a couple of years loading less than a 1000 hunting loads.
My MEC was in great shape when I sold it after thousands of loads.
Get the MEC and don't look back.
Look for a used one in the for sale section. Could find a deal not much more than the Lee.
Be careful though, it can become an addiction.
George

·
Premium Member
6,088 Posts
I didn't notice you post count. If no one else has done so, welcome to TS.com.

And a quick review of an eBay search for "MEC 600" shows many, many of them, likely in varying condition.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I recently started reloading myself. I purchased a MEC Sizemaster from a member on here. I love it! Got a good deal as well. Just put a post in the wanted to buy section or just ask if anybody has one they want to sell under this thread. Also I believe someone gas a 600 jr on the for sale tab for $100.00.

·
Premium Member
6,088 Posts
Best way to determine "ball park price" is to look at what they have gone for on eBay (under the advanced tab, you can get it to display competed sales). But you have to define the size of the ball park. Is it +-$10, $20, etc. $100 seems to be at the outer edge of the ball park.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Go with the 600 Jr. That's wahat I started on. It will last a lifetime. I've upgraded to a Grabber now, but still use the 600 to load up a new recipe to try out.

·
Registered
61 Posts
MEC. All day long. Used is very affordable. As an added benefit, you will be familiar with the MEC way of doing things when you upgrade

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
I own both. Go for the MEC jr. You can buy a used one also at a good price. I wouldn't recommend the Lee for much of anything unless you want to load one or two boxes of special shells.

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
I had a Lee in 20 gauge and I still have one in 16ga. I gave the 20 ga away and bought a used Mec Jr. The 16ga I still use but only rarely because it is such a pain.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts