Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I installed some LED track lighting over my bench today. Whoa...Bright. It's going to take some getting used to. So bright that it came with 3 lights and I'm only using two. They also leave some harsh shadows, so I still have one "normal" light to illuminate behind the press. It took a good part of the day run the wiring and install, so hopefully this works out.

Trail

·
Registered
831 Posts
I had twin 40W florescent shop lights in my reloading area and just this week replaced all the florescent tubes with LED tubes of the same color temperature. The increase in light intensity is definitely noticeable. Had to bypass the ballasts in all the fixtures to get the full benefit but after the first 2 it was easy. Instant on, and will never replace a tube again!

·
Registered
6,362 Posts
I hope it works out for you.

Personally, I hate the light from LED, no matter what color they claim to be. I never use them for light over my desk, the chair I like to read in or my bench. They are definitely a health concern when within a foot or so. I do use them for outside lights, and general garage lighting, just not where I am going to be doing detail work for any length of time.

Of course harsh light beats no light if you didn't have lights there before.

·
Registered
153 Posts
The 3-lamp LED track setup I installed above my reloading bench was one of the best improvements I’ve ever made. You can use stage lighting cues for angling the heads to eliminate as many shadows as possible. The hint is to aim heads across the bench from one side to the other, versus just shining it straight down like a spot.
As far as 'color' goes, as someone mentioned above..... the real technical term is "temperature". Typically expressed in most home good retailers as Soft, warm, bright, and daylight.
Depending on the particular manufacturer of lamp (bulb) chosen, I prefer 'bright'. Sometimes, 'warm' will do. Something between 3500k and 5000k temperature, or 'color' as someone said above.
The lower the 'k', the more brown/yellow glow of light.
The higher the 'k' value, the more blue-white glow.
For me, the soft, brown/yellow lamps (2700k-3000k) are just too dark for a work area. The 'daylight' balanced lamps (5000k-7500k) are just too blue and unlike any natural light. It hurts my eyes.
The warm-bright lamps (3500k-5000k) seem to be just right for me as far as eye strain and brightness to see to work.
And get 'flood' lamps, not 'spot' lamps (bulbs).

·
Registered
885 Posts
I too,converted my shop lights to the led clear version's and it made a great deference,in the way the light floods in.No more hum from the ballast's and also, they take a lot of less.power to run.

·
Registered
743 Posts
I like the LED's just because they take up less space under cabinets and shelves. It really has allowed me to put light onto surfaces that would not have been feasible for the old tube lights..

1 - 10 of 10 Posts