1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,728 Posts
That's where I kept it.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I leave it in the garage but in a cooler so that it stays relatively constant in temperature. No problems so far.

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
If you are using the jugs that the powder comes in, they seal pretty well so I wouldn't think you would have a problem. Some people have a flammables cabinet in their shop.

·
Registered
3,995 Posts
Keep it sealed, cool, and dry. Store in a wooden box with 1" walls and one weak wall, just in case. Primers kept separate.

·
Registered
6,754 Posts
I keep mine in an unheated out-building with conditions similar to a garage. The modern day plastic powder containers seal and protect the powder very well. No issues and I am using some powders that I have kept for 15 or more years under these conditions.

·
Registered
2,469 Posts
Well....... pray tell, where do you live? Miami or Houston with 99% humidity? Or, Tucson, Az, or Columbus, N. Mex.? Give us a break: How do we answer your question intelligently without knowing the humidity factor???
Mike

·
Registered
545 Posts
You can leave it my garage anytime, how safe it will be determined at a later date!

Never had no problems here, except for my Pops finding out i had a couple jugs of ClayDot, he does not have a key to my garage anymore...

Kenny U

·
Banned
996 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Your probably right Rebel the humidity is pretty high here in Portland, Or but I don't posses a gauge.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
I live in a waterfront home on the Delmarva Peninsula. 90-100% humidity is common place. I keep all my powder out in the garage. To my knowledge I have never had a powder related failure in my handloads.

·
Registered
11,024 Posts
A cool constant temperature is best. If the temp varies you can get condensation inside the container. HMB

·
Registered
905 Posts
IT seems to me you would be more likely to get condensation in your powder if you keep your powder in the cold gauge then you bring it inside to load in a warm room. ITs like this if you wear your glasses outside in the cold and you come inside where its warm your glasses fog up....... I call that condensation! so your powder will do the same thing when its cold.

Myself I keep my powder right under the reloading bench in the basement.

That's just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
14,685 Posts
Suppliers and distributers store it in warehouses that have no temp control.

Prior to the shortage, some powders were probably in storage for years till they were sold.

·
Registered
6,230 Posts
"Store in a wooden box with 1" walls and one weak wall, just in case."

I definitely want to do this. Can the weak wall be pine and the strong walls be oak? If so, can the oak be quartersawn? Which way should the weak wall face?

-Gary

·
Registered
2,469 Posts
A "cool, dry place" is generally recommended. I certainly agree with the comment about constant temperature.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts