Trapshooters Forum banner

Leaning forward while calling for the target.

4791 Views 30 Replies 20 Participants Last post by  Kickstart173
There are some notable shooters that employ this technique.
Some current shooters like Mitchell Lovelace on doubles and Harlan Campbell on handicaps.
I do it on doubles and if I don't It causes me to shoot over or behind the second target.
I am interested in the names of any past or present others that use this and how it works or why it helps .
Henry
Reactions: Paper hull
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

· Registered
554 Posts
Some current shooters like Mitchell Lovelace on doubles and Harlan Campbell on handicaps.
I do it on doubles and if I don't It causes me to shoot over or behind the second target.
I am interested in the names of any past or present others that use this and how it works or why it helps .
Henry
Henry,
Check out Darrell Farr on Team Kolar. He shoots with a pronounced lean into the shot. I believe he used to shoot more SC’s than trap and I thought it was carryover from SC’s. I asked him about the lean 3 or 4 years ago and if I remember correctly he said it helps him focus. He is on this forum once in a while and I think he still runs a shooting school called Leading Edge. Another interesting comment he made was that he went from the 16 to the 27 using nothing but Federal Value 4 packs from Walmart. One other guy is an HC disciple AAA/27 who also leans into the shot. I think he picked up the technique from Darrell and HC. Both of these guys have rock solid fundamentals.

· Premium Member
30,370 Posts
I met Darrel unless he has a twin.
He was shooting a Butler and helping to promote thier new gun design.
I was impressed with him he was a very polished shooter.
Henry
Yeah, he’s gone Butler. He will be in Colorado the week of the 21st giving lessons at GGC for Trap and Kiowa Creek for sporting clays. Demonstrating the Butlers while he’s here.

Darrell has won national awards in Trap, Skeet, and Sporting clays. Good shooter. Shot a 98 in the SW Zone Handicap a few years back with 1ounce RIO’s to tie for top score. Took 6th because during the 5th round of the shoot off a thunderstorm whacked him.

Reactions: Ram Rod

· Banned
2,714 Posts
I do it, right or wrong. I think there is a happy medium in that you don't want to lean over like the Hunchback of Notre Dame. Then again, if you're consistently rolling coal with 100s shooting like Quasimodo, then don't let me tell you different!

Virtually all of the bunker shooters do it. I've been told it helps them feel more in line or "connected" with the gun.

· Registered
6,264 Posts
Back in the 80's, probably from having read Frank Little's book, many trapshooters leaned forward more than is necessary for a solid stance against recoil. Some were great shooters, some were not. I believe in finding a stance that is comfortable and works for you. Mine is based on the combat rifle stance I learned while in the Army.

· Premium Member
6,306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
In a conversation a couple years back our current Captain Keith Ditto he was happy that he had figured out that an important part of his stance had been missing.
He stands with his legs spread apart ( wide apart) He had forgotten that when he shoots the best doubles he bends his knee.
Kieth leans so far that he shoots 14 yard singles.
Henry

· Registered
8,311 Posts
Henry
Actually Dysinger and Leo among the few premier shooters with an upright stance.

· Registered
224 Posts
Daro Handy told me:
"As the gun is going off and image is not correct, try to have enough control left to make the break with forced movement of the body / mind /muzzle / arm procedure. (Body / barrel English)"

Also: "Drive into the target" + "Reach for the target"

· Registered
477 Posts
I tend to place a good amount of weight on my forward foot and bend the forward knee.

By leaning into the gun I feel like I have better recoil control.

Also, when i lean in, it puts me in an aggressive frame of mind and helps me from making lazy moves.

One of Nora's big things at the clinic I took was to stay "tight and aggressive". Leaning in promotes this for me.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.