Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,454 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Small but dependable group of shooters. Problem is one shooter no one wants to shoot with. The group in whole have become good friends of mine. Without causing problems for the club how do you let this guy know being correct isn't as important as enjoying yourself at your first time at trap for the new shooters.
I want them to come back. They all joined the club became of friendship built during after the league shoot.
I feel successful.
Steve

·
Registered
9,473 Posts
Probably never going to convince him to change his ways. Sad.

·
Registered
10,213 Posts
We had the same problem with a group of shooters around here. They all switched clubs and started to shoot at a club about 40 miles away. It took this jerk a couple of months to find them. Then they flipped around for another couple of months before he finally got the hint. They have now been shooting at their normal club now for several years now as far as I know. As mentioned above, he will more than likely not change. break em all Jeff

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
Change the time or day you shoot and do not tell him. Or ask everyone what day is good for them and have the league when he is not available.

Mike

·
Premium Member
3,454 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
He is retried. He doesn't realize what he is doing. He wants to help but doesn't understand his methods are having an opposite effect.
Like all of us there is someone we shoot with when we see them pull up we say omg.
He loves to shoot. Has good equipment. I need the right group to shoot with him.
If I could find score keeper I would shoot with him.
I am certain to some I am a pain in the butt. Lol
This league ends next week he will probably be the only one to show up.
I want to have a two day league just before dove season.
25 at 16
25 at 21
Each Sunday

Short and simple

·
Premium Member
3,454 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I agree with you. But when he pulled up the other guys got in their trucks and left only saying next time let me know league is cancelled. Hopefully I will have the problem settled this Friday
I had luck getting this league started. Sorta walking on eggs shells for now.
I don't need bad karma with the club's board.

·
Sponsors a Reloaders for Youth Program
11,589 Posts
how do you let this guy know being correct isn't as important as enjoying yourself at your first time at trap for the new shooters.
Not sure because you're doing to him what he's doing to the others - telling someone else how to behave. Do you watch it develop and let them all be? Maybe. Do you find a way to make it happen for everybody? That would be better, more difficult, but better. Watch for an opening. The one guy may be looking for friendship through help he gives others. We're all here to learn something, each of those guys, you, me. I certainly don't know the answer, but I do know you're 100% capable of a good solution. You're very observant and you care. You're 9 tenths of the way there. Good luck.

·
Registered
5,453 Posts
Steve,

oblamo will be out of his job in January, Maybe this guys mood will change after this happens.

Fingers crossed.

DGH

·
Registered
62 Posts
Straight forward up front conversation is difficult but best solution for the group. Have had to do it a few times. One person has never talked to me again but the others got over it and now are part of the group with no problems.

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
He may get on Trapshooters.com and see the post titled " League Ending On A Sorry Note", open it up and read it and then never show up again.

·
Premium Member
3,454 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I am a teacher and a retired policeman.

Time and patience isn't always the answer.
My caution is I just convinced the board to let me start a league.
I have know this guy for 30+ years.
He means we'll . He is ok in tournament at other clubs.

I don't have a choice I need to make it work

·
11,589 Posts
"You know, those guys in league don't want help from anybody."

"Guys, I spoke to him and told him you guys are just here to have fun."

·
11,589 Posts
I've got a guy I've worked with for 20 years who I've disagreed with since day 1. Maybe I'll go in and level with him today. I've got to find the words.

Thanks for this thread.

·
Registered
868 Posts
I'm new to the place I currently shoot at, I haven't met all the old timers most of them quit because to many high school shooters. I have been the one mowing and opening up the trap range a couple times a week now.(our range is none profit) I have met a few shooters in the last few weeks they all are missing their beads on their guns. They haven't been shooting long. I guess there is some guy that was helping these people to shoot and the first thing he would do is take their beads off. Anyway these people are shooting horrible. I can't wait to meet this Character.... One of the guys I did meet freaked out because I shoot a release and my gun doesn't say release on it. He was actually mad at me about it. My gun is either in my hand or on my tailgate. It would be impossible for someone to accidently pick up my gun... I have not shot many registered targets mostly because I work 6 days a week. I don't remember seeing guns marked release at any shoots. And when I worked at a trap range when I was a kid for 4 yrs I don't remember any guns being marked etc..

·
11,589 Posts
Steve, yes that is the point of a league for new shooters, so remind the guy giving the unwelcome advice of that. He was new so long ago he probably doesn't remember what it was like.

·
Banned
5,302 Posts
One of the guys I did meet freaked out because I shoot a release and my gun doesn't say release on it.
Screw him. Ask him if he can explain a scenario where a person can shoot a release trigger WITHOUT pulling the trigger first? And then ask him why he would be pointing a loaded gun at something he didn't want to shoot and pulling the trigger?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts