Trapshooters Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

· Registered
2,756 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got an alert from NRA stating that the Iowa DNR Commission is going to try to ban lead from Iowa an fishing, hunting, target shooting both rifle and shotgun.
Hang on!

· Registered
2,756 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, we have had democratic governors for the last twelve years for one thing.
I think out last governor thought that diversity was of a higher priority than common sense when appointing people to positions, not unlike our current president I might add.
Our area is being over run with Canada geese and the people who are in charge of the closed hunting zone will not hear of reducing it's size to allow more of them to be taken.
I have seen more eagles this week alone than I saw in the first two thirds of my life.
I know that birds can and ingest lead and that if they do it can be harmful, but I think this issue has been unfairly represented and overblown in the past.
I believe it is a solution in search of a problem.

· Registered
8,427 Posts
I was just talking to a person from the DNR that works in the offices at the Wallace Building about Dove Hunting. He is a trapshooter, hunter and fisherman and didn't mention anything about a lead shot ban.

6,495 Posts
I have to ask... if anyone actually has some insight... the IOWA website explains that lead has been in use in ammunition and fishing tackle for THOUSANDS of years...

In the time of Jesus and the Romans, did they use any lead ammo in their firing arms (did they have firing weaponry?!) I'm sure they used nets for fishing, how they were weighted, I don't know, but Eagle Claw and Mepps are relatively new companies...

regards all,

Jay

· Registered
239 Posts
In the Iowa website it states that the lead shot is toxic to all animals. I cannot believe that I am still walking around after handling lead shot for the past 45 years. It hasn't effected me toooooo much! I surprised that all reloaders aren't on the wrong side of the dandilions..Odie

· Registered
14,846 Posts
The lead issue is no different then the "Alar" scare, Global Warming, Spotted Owl, Wolf reintroduction, etc, etc.

There are people in government positions that are looking for something to "DO" and love the power they have!!!!

Anyone who favors any of the above issues, should be put on the unemployment line!!

They are pushing weird and false science!!!!!

· Banned
8,498 Posts
Al they have to do is mention it now and within 5 to 10 years the younger people will be condition after hearing of this a few times through the years and then it will be passed. Its mainly caused by todays shooters and hunters and outdoorsman not speaking out with serious voice to the liberals and shutting them up permenatly. If they are not pushed out for good they will be back. Wild Bill

· Registered
590 Posts
Jim 101; Why don't you try offering something constructive instead of trying to act like a comedian. To label all Iowan's like that is just plain rude. We can only do something about thing like this when we become aware of it. How about giving us a chance before you start throwing around insults.

Ken Brandt

· Registered
2,756 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I got an email from one commissioner after I got the notice from the NRA and presented it to him. He told me he was the only one who didn't favor a lead ban and for all Iowan's to contact the Iowa DNR commission and express your views.

· Registered
3,064 Posts
Link to NRA announcement above.

Quotes from NRA announcement below.

"According to the Commission, the purpose of imposing this ban is to “begin limiting the use of lead for all hunting and fishing on all public areas”. The proposed ban would also designate three wildlife areas as completely “lead free,” including rifle ammunition and fishing tackle"

"The ban will also prohibit the use of lead shot in target shooting."

Note the link and quotes are from NRA. I haven't found anything about target shooting at the IDNR website. If somebody does, please post the link.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.