Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
CL
favorite this post Lead Ignots (55 lbs) - $50 (Bristow) hide this posting

55 - 1 pound ignots of reprocessed wheel weight lead. Each ignot is approx 1 lb. Would be great for casting fishing sinkers or other lead casting items.

Cash and carry
  • do NOT contact me with unsolicited services or offers
post id: 6344405791

posted: a day ago

·
Registered
8,994 Posts
How do you know their made of quality lead wheel weights? If so, a buck a pound is a fair deal at the going rate for shot making.

·
Premium Member
12,483 Posts
$1 per pound?

That would be decent - if it were certified as to make-up. Most of these ingots are home made from recycled scrap - and you have NO idea as to it's true make-up. 'Scrap' lead sells for much less than the spot price for 'lead.'

Don't believe me?? - Just look at copper - spot price is just over $3 per pound.

Take some old copper wires, pipes, fittings, etc. to a scrap yard and see what they offer - unless it is perfectly clean, with no insulation, no solder, brass, fittings removed, etc. they will offer maybe $0.75 per pound. Compressor coils from AC units (with aluminum fins) might get $0.15 per pound.

Caveat Emptor...

·
Premium Member
7,943 Posts
How do you know their made of quality lead wheel weights? If so, a buck a pound is a fair deal at the going rate for shot making.
As a shot maker I buy a lot of scrap wheel weights. Notice I said wheel weights.
I only smelt lead wheel weights. No other lead what so ever. Even then, as HSLDS
points out. You do not know the composition of the lead in any wheel weight.
This we do know, because home made shot is quenched instead of shot tower air cooled,
the shot is hardened. Much more so than Shot tower made shot.
Magnum shot "Higher Antimony Equivalent" uses hardening material to accomplish what I can do
with Lead Wheel Weights w/ 5% Tin added. So much that my homemade shot has a BHN of just over 15.0.
This equates to almost a 9% Antimony equivalent!
Point being, I never pay more than $.20 a pound for scrap Wheel Weights.
By introducing unknown material to the equation, In my opinion your only asking for trouble.
I would never buy ingots from anyone, you just don't know the composition.
Besides, at $1.00 a pound, I'm getting closer to 5 lbs at that price.
MG

1 - 6 of 6 Posts