Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
7,040 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
MEDICAL LAKE — A lawsuit filed in Spokane Superior Court contesting Spokane County’s removal of a no-shooting designation ahead of development of the Spokane Gun Club’s proposed shooting range north of Medical Lake and west of Fairchild Air Force Base has failed.

The Whitehead’s, an extended family with property near the proposed range, collectively filed the lawsuit alleging Spokane County incorrectly interpreted and applied a county code that allowed a no-shooting designation to be lifted in part of the Thorpe No Shooting Area.

/////

The bulk of the shooting ranges development — including a club house containing meeting rooms, an industrial kitchen and dining area, pro shop and storage facilities, a separate maintenance building, trap and skeet shooting, sporting clay ranges and, eventually, a pistol range, along with parking for 88 vehicles and 166 self-contained recreational vehicles — is planned to occur adjacent to Thorpe Road directly across from the Medical Lake Cemetery whose origins predate statehood, according to the Washington State Archives.

https://www.cheneyfreepress.com/sto...uit-against-spokane-gun-club-fails/26200.html

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Also the Club is meeting with the County next week on the Conditional Use Permit. Much work and expense has gone into the requirements and the final decisions are to be made on Feb 5th. No reason to believe it will not go well but nothing is certain. Once that hurdle is passed, bids go out and construction should start this early summer. This should be a first class facility when finished to include trap, skeet and sporting clays.

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
Conditional Use Permit.
These are BAB BAD things for anyone all it takes is a bunch of people to keep hounding the city and your either shut down or your hours are so restricted you cant pay the bills.
The company I work for started in 1856 and some how we ended up with a Conditional Use Permit for our dirt and asphalt recycling operation. Now that part of our operation is shut down and moving it to a different location witch is adding a lot of trucking expense.

·
Registered
22,771 Posts
These are BAB BAD things for anyone all it takes is a bunch of people to keep hounding the city and your either shut down or your hours are so restricted you cant pay the bills.
The company I work for started in 1856 and some how we ended up with a Conditional Use Permit for our dirt and asphalt recycling operation. Now that part of our operation is shut down and moving it to a different location witch is adding a lot of trucking expense.
https://bearingarms.com/came/2020/02/03/alaskan-gun-owners-range-restrictions

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
We had the hearing for the Conditional Use Permit today - and it took all day. The opposition had two different attorney groups and basically the first one introduced new information the day before the hearing which our side had not seen. Given that, the examiner gave our side two weeks to review the information and rebut. The opposition also got another two weeks after that to rebut our rebuttal. The examiner has not decided if he will open up the proceeding to additional testimony or not and may just review written information from attorneys. If he decides no more testimony, then he will take about three weeks for his decision which puts it to the first week of April.

The opposition testimony was about 95% emotions - this will impact my lifestyle, too noisy, too much traffic, lead will poison my well, etc. One fellow brought a printout from EPA (50+ pages) on how lead should be remediated and the examiner took that also which will be given to both sides. One of the opposition attorneys even challenged the shooting of clay targets did not fit into the definition of shooting range!

One of the big objections was a small cemetery, located a few hundred yards from our property line, that shooting would disturb the serenity of their site (?) as well as visitors. And a veterans cemetery about 3.5 miles away would suffer as well. Again, all emotions.

It will be some time before we hear back and should we lose, the Club will undoubtedly challenge the decision in Superior Court. That would be very expensive but we could afford it and not sure the opposition could live with that expense. As in all disputes, only the attorneys win.

·
Registered
116 Posts
We had the hearing for the Conditional Use Permit today - and it took all day. The opposition had two different attorney groups and basically the first one introduced new information the day before the hearing which our side had not seen. Given that, the examiner gave our side two weeks to review the information and rebut. The opposition also got another two weeks after that to rebut our rebuttal. The examiner has not decided if he will open up the proceeding to additional testimony or not and may just review written information from attorneys. If he decides no more testimony, then he will take about three weeks for his decision which puts it to the first week of April.

The opposition testimony was about 95% emotions - this will impact my lifestyle, too noisy, too much traffic, lead will poison my well, etc. One fellow brought a printout from EPA (50+ pages) on how lead should be remediated and the examiner took that also which will be given to both sides. One of the opposition attorneys even challenged the shooting of clay targets did not fit into the definition of shooting range!

One of the big objections was a small cemetery, located a few hundred yards from our property line, that shooting would disturb the serenity of their site (?) as well as visitors. And a veterans cemetery about 3.5 miles away would suffer as well. Again, all emotions.

It will be some time before we hear back and should we lose, the Club will undoubtedly challenge the decision in Superior Court. That would be very expensive but we could afford it and not sure the opposition could live with that expense. As in all disputes, only the attorneys win.
At least it is moving forward.

·
Registered
769 Posts
The longer the attorneys can stretch it out the more they will make in fees, I shoot with an attorney who once explained that he only takes on divorce cases where there are assets to fight over, he smiled and said those can take years to settle and guess who gets paid all that time. Like he said I have payments to make on my summer home, my boat, my BMW ect… family vacations ect…, it's just the way the business works.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Great, it is awesome to hear of new places going in, heck that is even a doable distance for me to shoot at, hope it goes through.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Maybe instead of paying attorneys, buy the people out and let them move. I am sure a lot of them would love to get the money and move on.

Then again, why would the club buy property with all those previous conditions. Seems like a waste of everyone's time and money.

With all the land in the area there could have been a better site to invest in.

I wish the gun club the best and hope that one day I will be a member and shoot at a great facility.

Steve

·
Premium Member
1,334 Posts
Good luck Eric! I am quite sure the folks resting peacefully in their gravesites in the nearby cemetery were your loudest opposition!

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Interm decision came down today. The Club has successfully argued against the local residents and their concerns as the local codes and laws permit our existence. We have been directed to contact the operators of the small local cemetery and determine if anything can be done about our noise bothering their operation. I anticipate the attorneys will overcome that objection as well but hopefully we are close to moving dirt soon.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts