Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All-
I have been stuck in 21/22 out of 25 now for about 2-3 weeks without really progressing, moreover, I keep missing the same bird. The slightly quartering or straight bird from position 2 and 3.

I visited the pattern board and my IM bottom barrel was shooting about 50/50 at 30 yards. I decided to raised the comb a bit and shot the pattern again. This time it seem to be more 60/40. Off we went to shoot a round and again I shot a 21, missing the same slightly or straight away birds.

The next trap field was empty and I decided to go and shoot a box from positions 2 and 3 to practice and figure out what is that I am doing wrong, however, I also decided to shoot the bird as soon as I see it. Well I shot from positions 2,3,4 and 5 but mostly from 2 and 3 and ONLY missed one bird!.

Question- what does shooting faster (call the bird, see the bird, shoot the bird) do that made me shoot better?

Thanks

jP

·
Registered
14,903 Posts
Hi All-
I have been stuck in 21/22 out of 25 now for about 2-3 weeks without really progressing, moreover, I keep missing the same bird. The slightly quartering or straight bird from position 2 and 3.

I visited the pattern board and my IM bottom barrel was shooting about 50/50 at 30 yards. I decided to raised the comb a bit and shot the pattern again. This time it seem to be more 60/40. Off we went to shoot a round and again I shot a 21, missing the same slightly or straight away birds.

The next trap field was empty and I decided to go and shoot a box from positions 2 and 3 to practice and figure out what is that I am doing wrong, however, I also decided to shoot the bird as soon as I see it. Well I shot from positions 2,3,4 and 5 but mostly from 2 and 3 and ONLY missed one bird!.

Question- what does shooting faster (call the bird, see the bird, shoot the bird) do that made me shoot better?

Thanks

jP
What else are you to do other than call, see and shoot?Anything else will be a miss.

·
Registered
5,407 Posts
Hi All-

Thanks

jP
You stopped aiming and performed the method of target acquisition the way it's meant to be in order for success.

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
As is almost always the case, not really enough information to answer correctly. Were I to guess though, without ever having seen you shoot, being as you say your shotgun shoots 50/50. What ever exactly that means, to me it means really flat. And that in turn would mean that misses are probably die to shooting where the bird is at instead of where it is going. Raise that comb up and put it on a pattern board and when you get pretty much all the shot above where you were aiming at, go shoot some targets. Shoot where the target is going, not where it is at. ymmv.

·
Registered
269 Posts
What F3 trap said.
You may also want to give some thought on where you're holding on the house. Do you know if you're behind or under, or both?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I don't think I am canting the gun, I am being very careful with my mount and making sure the beads "line up" the same each time.
I am also holding about a foot to a foot and a half above the house. Also some shooters told me that I was missing the stright birds over the top.

jP

·
Registered
127 Posts
Hard to say without seeing you shoot. Those that posted here make valid points. I would bring up the classic answers. Those being. Lifting your head (even slightly) to see the target and stopping your swing. When you don't know why you are missing, these are usually the reasons why. Go back to basics. As I write this I would also wonder if you are arm shooting and driving the barrel with the hand that supports the forearm? As to why shooting a little faster seems to work better. I think pheasantmaster hit the nail on the head. It also prevents you from having those unwanted thoughts to have enough time to mess with your mental game. Just don't be overly fast to the point of recklessness.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hi All-
Well, just came back from shooting 3 rounds using the same aproach and I shot a 25,22,24. Every time I missed it was because for some reason my focus had change from the bird to the front bead. Now that I understand the reason for my misses I can really concentrate on fixing that problem.

thank you all

jP

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hi All-
Well I am making progress( been shooting for 5 months) The last 2 trips to the range I have shot 95/100 and 96/100 (including 2 25's). I have learned the following lessons
1. Gun fit is critical. Your shotgun must fit in order to shoot well. I think it took me close to 1000 shots to get it right.
2. Focus on the bird!
3. Keep your head on the gun! if you move your head just a little bit you are going to miss. (I keep my head on the gun and follow through 1-2 seconds after I break the bird to reinforce this thought)
4. Concentrate when making your call. I keep saying "keep your head on the gun! Look at the bird! on every shot

This game is addictive! the more I shoot the more I want to shoot! I will try to compete this month in a couple of registered shoots.

jP

·
Premium Member
3,251 Posts
Well stated! Points 3. & 4. are often the main issue. You are shooting well, then whoops, miss a bird...then on the next target, you subconsciously lift your head ever so slightly to take a peek to see if it happened again. LOST! Then you really subconsciously take a peek on the next target and the slump has started. Ask me how I know... Best Regards, Ed

·
Registered
109 Posts
A lot of good comments above. My 2 cents is that once you start to think about a certain target being difficult or being a problem, the real problem manifests - the mental/thinking problem. Once you have acquired good form and a good fitting gun and where it shoots fits your style, the physical part is secondary and the mental part is primary. For some it takes a while to get that honed. I don't have any trick solutions other than working on the mental aspect just like you do the physical. Repetition of the right things. Clear the distractions, focus eyes, acquire target, move gun (but without thinking about all of those things). Like muscle memory, but in this case mental conditioning. My only advice is to come up with a mental checklist that prepares you for each shot the same way (don't think about having to chase angles on 5, etc) and then practice it until one day you realize you aren't "thinking" about the mental prep - you are just doing it.

Tom

·
Sponsors a Reloaders for Youth Program
11,593 Posts
My coach told me to keep my eyes on the target and shoot when my gun goes through what I'm looking at. I repeat that in my head all the time.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Ahh yes.. truly great points made here. When I over think I miss. When I aim I miss. When I think about anything other than, see the bird, break the bird I miss..

Keep ur eye on the bird and ur head on the stock.. burn lots of powder. You’ll do well

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Latest update:
Well I have not being shooting very well lately (last 2-3 weeks). I went from shooting 23-24 to shooting 19,20s. I had no idea what I was doing wrong or what changed. I tried shooting faster, holding lower on the house, holding higher. I really tried to concentrate on holding my head to the stock since I felt that the birds I was missing was because I was lifting my head. Nothing helped.

I looked at some videos in youtube and I realized that in my effort to keep my head in the stock I was applying alot of pressure and sometimes when I shot the normal tendency of my face was to lift up due to the pressure I applied. So I made a change on my comb and worked on getting a more normal head position and pressure. Basically rest my head on the stock instead of pressing against.

Today I shot 4 rounds and I shot 24,22,25 and 25! My first 50 straight! I felt relax and I also felt like I could see the bird much better.

Will shoot again on Saturday see if I can repeat today's performance.

jP

·
Registered
401 Posts
Excellent! If you can run 25 and especially 50 there is nothing mechanically wrong with your mount or swing--your 100 straight is close--waiting for your head to clear of all the extraneous calculations/actions you think you have to employ to catch it. Mount, call, and shoot the target--focus on the bird only and you and the gun will do the rest.
Congratulations on that 50.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts