Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As I’m sure you are aware shooting of all types has been suspended at the World Shooting and Recreational Complex effective October 1, until the Illinois legislature and Governor come to terms on a state budget.

The Event Center and Restaurant remain open, as do the year-round vendors on the grounds. In addition, shoot dates and activities are being scheduled for 2016. Throughout the budget stalemate, the state has never indicated any plan to permanently close the facility, but unfortunately state officials are unable to give us any clear indication of when the suspension of shooting will be lifted.

Planning by the ATA staff for the Grand American begins in the fall each year. Our initial focus is on the development of sponsor commitments for the coming Grand American. Sponsors typically determine their budgets for marketing and promotion in the fall and direct the funds no later than January. These commitments are vital to the financial success of the Grand American. Obviously, when we approach sponsors for their commitment we need to be able to tell the them where the tournament will be held and what we will be able to do to promote their name and products. Furthermore, camping reservations and vendor building commitments need to be made by December 31. Planning out your shooting “season”, and determination of shoots to attend by travelling vendors is usually done at this time of the year also.

The Executive Committee remains confident that the suspension of shooting at the Complex will be lifted long before the 2016 Grand American; however we believe that it is in the best interest of the Association and our Championship Tournament to have a contingency plan in place should circumstances require it to be put in motion. It is the opinion of our legal representatives that by suspending shooting with no indication of resumption, the State has defaulted on our Lease Agreement for the use of the facility for the Grand American. The lease provides that a defaulting party be given 60 days to remedy an alleged default. The party alleging default may extend this time period if desired. We will be notifying the State in the next few days of their default on the agreement and will begin exploring possible contingency options, should the need arise, for the 2016 Grand American.

We have made it abundantly clear to state officials that we feel that Sparta is our home. Moving the Championship Tournament, world headquarters, employing a local staff and most recently the privately funded construction of the Trapshooting Hall of Fame and Museum at the WSRC reflect the tremendous commitment and economic impact that our sport has made to this region. It would be tragic to have to move the Tournament; however we feel that we must take whatever steps necessary to protect our National Championship tournament, our members, our supporters and the history and traditions of this great American sport.

Lynn Gipson Executive Director

·
Premium Member
10,551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
If you care for the ATA, please flood the Illinois Governor's office and both sides of the Illinois congress with your support for the WSRC. I will supply you with those phone numbers and addresses here as I gather them up. Thank you.

Barry

·
Registered
557 Posts
I hope your contingency plan is not a telephonic shoot !!!!!!!! If they do not reopen it why not have a eastern grand american change the name of the cardinal classic in august and the spring grand to the western grand american two shoots different times of the year lots will be able to make both , both facilities are capable of handling these shoots no need to build or spent any money . Just as prestigious to win a eastern ring or a western one .

·
Registered
10,382 Posts
I certainly hope it ends well. In the meantime it is really sad that the kids in the collegiate Championships had to take the hit. It was moved to Cardinal at the "last minute" and they are expecting a lot of the kids, parents, and supporters will be forced to drop out due to several issues (distance,time, money etc.) To make matters even WORSE they had to split up the skeet teams and send them several miles away for the skeet competition! They got a RAW DEAL!

·
Registered
10,382 Posts
hmmm...."distance, time, money", yet the Ohians have been hammered for not going to Sparta?
The Grand has been the SAME TIME and in the SAME PLACE for as long as I can remember even hearing about it ! Even when it moved to Sparta people had TWO YEARS to make their plans!!!! These people had already made their plans, time off from school, work, arranged finances to cover the trip etc. This crap got dumped on them at the last freakin minute ! Many didn't have TIME to rearrange everything.

·
Registered
3,718 Posts
The lack of a clear commitment to a date has impacts not just on ATA Grand shooters but on local clubs also. Right now I am working to put together a schedule for our League for the 2016 season. I have the originally published dates for the Grand included in our schedule but I also have to consider if either the date and/or location gets changed. If the Grand, or at least a part of what was the Grand, gets moved to the Cardinal Center, that would have a double impact on us do to the Cardinal being a lot closer. People who did not go to the Grand because of time and distance issues would be more able to go to the Cardinal, or Elysburg. This would have a double impact on our league's schedule.

In that sense I am in a position similar to some of the Grand's sponsors in trying to figure out where our shooters may (or may not) go, and when, to attend a different Grand. My plan to get a schedule completed by November for submission to the teams is now in jeopardy. I sure do hope that those politicians put their egos aside and actually do the work to finalize a budget for Illinois. It is too damn bad that politicians anymore are in far too many cases nothing but egotistical cry babies and spoiled brats!

·
Vendor
2,171 Posts
I think if the Grand is telephonic, it makes sense to let some clubs who have hosted a Satellite Grand have first refusal in hosting part of the grand. Those clubs have the demonstrated capability and infrastructure to successfully hold a very large shoot.

One important part of a telephonic shoot would be all clubs using a compatible version of software so shoot offs and trophies would be known to all sites at the same time. It would be very time consuming for some clubs to be entering all the scores to see who was involved in shoot offs. Also remember there is a three hour time difference between the east and west coasts. Three hours at the end of a shooting day is a long time to wait and decide who is in a shoot off.

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
I think plan B should be what ever club that has the most traps available. 2 trap banks, 10 shots per post. 1 event/day or 100 targets per day. Less events or stretch it out over 2 weeks.

Jason

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
I hope Mr. Gipson's statement is inaccurate. This has been the most telegraphed punch in history. If anything, work on contingency plans should've started as soon as there was a hint this might be possible...weeks, possibly months ago. The notice of default should've been filed on 2 October at the latest.
I hope I'm wrong, but it appears ATA is acting reactively, rather than taking a proactive position on the issue.

·
Registered
Beretta TR1
563 Posts
I shoot weekly league at the Cardinal Center that started three weeks ago. I knew the first day that the collegiate championship was coming to Ohio. I'm not sure how that is "last minute" when they don't happen until Halloween weekend. Since there is nothing big going on in central Ohio this month should be plenty of hotels, not to mention the campground for shooters. I think that it's actually a good thing that they stepped up to hold it instead of the whole thing being cancelled. Which would suck worse?

·
Premium Member
6,025 Posts
hmmm...."distance, time, money", yet the Ohians have been hammered for not going to Sparta?
I shoot weekly league at the Cardinal Center that started three weeks ago. I knew the first day that the collegiate championship was coming to Ohio. I'm not sure how that is "last minute" when they don't happen until Halloween weekend. Since there is nothing big going on in central Ohio this month should be plenty of hotels, not to mention the campground for shooters. I think that it's actually a good thing that they stepped up to hold it instead of the whole thing being cancelled. Which would suck worse?
Quite a bit of difference between having a few weeks to plan verses several months or even years.

Quite a bit of difference between recent change in plans for one verses a coach and several kids.

Quite a bit of difference when increased monetary expenditure is for one verses 6 or more.

·
Registered
14,893 Posts
just saying..."time, distance, money" affects decisions to go to a shoot or not.

Many of us working stiffs have to juggle travel dates based on meetings, appointments, etc, etc.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts