Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,721 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are online wills adequate, valid and or legal for a straightforward estate? Thanks, Tom Rhoads

·
Ljutic Nut
2,907 Posts
Get an attorney if your estate is worth more than the price of a good trap gun

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Get an attorney unless you don't have anything, then it doesn't matter. Don't leave your family with an expensive mess to clean up. I'm in the Real Estate industry you can't believe the messes I have seen. Find an attorney that specializes in estates get it done right. You wouldn't operate on a family member by reading the internet.

Buster

·
Banned
7,659 Posts
If you are retired military & your estate is under a certain limit, you can get a will done free at any JAG office. Also some states require self proving wills that are registered with the state.

Phil Berkowitz

·
Premium Member
18,864 Posts
Hire an attorney the does estate work. You will save your family alot of grief, if you love them.

·
Banned
7,659 Posts
Very important of you have an IRA, make sure your heirs have the smarts on how to handle it, otherwise they will pay penalties, thru the nose--

Phil Berkowitz

·
Registered
7,400 Posts
As Phil said...get an attorney

Your different IRAs and 401s each have different characteristic and if your family does not know how to handle they will face penalties.

Then get a financial planner who can give you advice to pass on the most money. DO NOT find a financial advisor. There is a difference. Need help, pm me and I will tell you where to find qualified people.

·
Premium Member
12,319 Posts
I am going to disagree - LegalZoom or a good on-line will can be fine.

The trick is to be very specific as to your wishes and desires. Do not leave anything to a hand shake or a spoken word - it all needs to be written down; the more specific the better.

Nothing wrong with having a lawyer go over it when you are done, but you can do a perfectly acceptable job on your own.

·
Registered
303 Posts
If you have a very simple estate, uslegalforms.com has documents that will help. Very important to make sure you're using a state specific form as estate laws vary state to state and the laws of the state you reside in will apply to your estate. If your estate is significant, then it would be wise to hire a good estate planning attorney. It's very wise to sit down with everyone affected by your will afterwards to explain what the will says. That way you can settle any disagreements while you are alive and take that pressure off of your executor. Lay out the plan to everyone so there is no surprises and no one is confused about what is going to take place. It's also an act of love to your family to have all of your important documents all in one place and include an instruction sheet with instructions on what you want done and also describing all of your accounts and assets to make it as easy as possible for your family to carry out your final wishes.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
HSLDS who defends it if there are mistakes made. You can have attorney review it. Problems arise his answer will be I didn't write it I won't defend it. If you have a decent estate and love your family don't put them in a place where they don't know what to do. If it is wrong you won't be around to help.

Believe me I don't like to spend money on attorneys, but sometimes it pays.

Buster

·
Premium Member
12,319 Posts
buster45,

I have a simple estate - my son will get all. I did my will via an on-line program and had one of my best friends review it - he is a lawyer and the executer of my estate.

He was stunned at how good a job the program did.

I agree that review by a lawyer is not bad, but his comment was the more specific you can be, the better - write it down, explain it in the will and all the wiggle room goes away (he also suggested putting in what you do NOT want to happen...).

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
If It is simple, no problem. But as I said earlier if your estate is large or complicated, get professional help.

Buster

·
Registered
30,578 Posts
Anybody see the real problem here? You cannot as a citizen pass on your estate, simply, without risk of it being taken away from whoever you meant to have it. You need a lawyer to write instruments to protect your estate from lawyers who want to take it and those instruments are not a guarantee that will not happen. Greed is a diasese that effects all.

·
Banned
7,659 Posts
Do what you can do to avoid probate, set up a trust & or residence in a state with no inheritance tax- if you want your heirs to get max benefit from your estate

Phil Berkowitz

1 - 16 of 16 Posts