Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I was responding to a post from a new shotgunner on one of the local forums in regards to his observation that:

I apologize for my ignorance here, and I certainly think it's most likely due to my lack of exposure to the wider shotgun market, but why is the standard for a "good" trap or skeet shotgun something starting at $2K and just goes up from there

I said:

“I think when it comes to quality, factors such as actual build quality, reliability, shootability, fit, finish, reputation and the like serve as more meaningful indicators over cost.

While in general terms, the higher cost of a product is an indicator of quality (especially with regards to the doubles guns), a direct use of ‘quality begins at one or two price points’’ on sporting shotguns isn’t the best scale.”

I mentioned guns like the Valmet 412, 870 trap and skeet versions, the Super X1, Beretta 302/303/390/391, and Model 12 were all quality guns that were largely under that 2k cost.

Another member chimed in and agreed, citing his 870tb as his competition gun.

Another responded back, saying:

And no serious competitor has used a pump for competition in decades

Since I’m curious and I figure some of you would know:

When was the last time someone used a pump competitively on a major/serious level?

(Since ‘serious’ can be subjective - let’s say state shoot winners to anyone close to an Etchen?)

:)

·
Registered
14,103 Posts
A better question is when's the last time a serious competitor used or a major win was achieved using a pump for skeet/trap/sporting when 2 shots were required?

A pump for singles or handicap trap is no different than using a SBT.

I love pump guns as much as anyone, and on a good day can shoot mine quite nearly as well as my o/u (which flabbergasts me since my pump guns weigh about 65% of my o/u), but they definitely represent a disadvantage for two shot games.

·
Registered
945 Posts
Leo shot a 1100 for years

Reactions: fast gun

·
Banned
2,711 Posts
A better question is when's the last time a serious competitor used or a major win was achieved using a pump for skeet/trap/sporting when 2 shots were required?

A pump for singles or handicap trap is no different than using a SBT.

I love pump guns as much as anyone, and on a good day can shoot mine quite nearly as well as my o/u (which flabbergasts me since my pump guns weigh about 65% of my o/u), but they definitely represent a disadvantage for two shot games.
Bill Mayer (or Meyer?) in OH is tough to beat with a pump gun, even in sporting main events. He is the only current competitor that I read uses a pump regularly.

For 2 shot games, while it can be done, I would not dream of it.

·
Banned
789 Posts
Bill Mayer, 9 time Ohio State Sporting Clays champion and hall of fame member shot an 870 with a 30" full choke barrel.
STILL shoots it I believe, and I as well shoot registered Sporting with an 870.......and so does TRON but he'll probably file a lawsuit against me......actually I believe Mayer has a 34" Hastings barrel on that 870......saw it in Clay Target Nation last summer I think...

1 - 20 of 78 Posts