Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
missing targets on last post,anybody have a fix I could try,your little secret to finish with a good score.
Thanks

·
Registered
880 Posts
If its only the last post, it's either mental or you are tired. Physical is easy to beat. Just practice or work out more. Mental is tougher. You need to stop thinking about your score. Concentrate on your process. This is a game of 25/100/200 individual challenges.

·
Registered
6,208 Posts
What do you mean by last post ? Post 5 ? Stop thinking about it and focus on the target and follow through. Do NOT stop your swing.

·
What squad am I on?
Lots of different guns...
7,766 Posts
Dump your shells into your pocket and wait for the score keeper to yell "change". Dump like 30 shells so you're not thinking..."5 more and I'll run the trap". Your mental game will thank you.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Think of it this way - each individual target is a challenge. It is the same challenge presented whether it is this first target out or the last target of the day. Are you going to let that target beat you?

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
Recent studies found that this problem is much more common with married shooters, especially ones with short, overweight wives.

·
Registered
387 Posts
One way to keep your mind in check is to break each round up into individual 5 target challenge. This is a way to manage the task of breaking 5 targets instead of 25! This is taught by Leo Harrison in his videos! It helps make the task and mental alertness more manageable.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
First of all wife is great,but I see what you mean.
Wadhopper I like you idea, I'm going to try not counting the shells,I've seem to have reached
A level of shooting where I walk into last traps a lot with good scores and drop 2 or 3 in the last
10 shots.
I know I think to much when I'm shooting but I can't help it,I've tried music and it didn't seem to work.
I had a good shooter tell me he thinks I'm probably shooting a dead stick,not moving the gun to the target.
Thanks again guys

·
Registered
491 Posts
missing targets on last post,anybody have a fix I could try,your little secret to finish with a good score.
Thanks
It is common for right handers to have a problem with post 5, left handers have a problem with post 1. Check to see if you are stopping your swing, or as Tron said your feet position is not right. Just shot 15 or 20 targets from post 5 until you solve the problem.

·
What squad am I on?
Lots of different guns...
7,766 Posts
First of all wife is great,but I see what you mean.
Wadhopper I like you idea, I'm going to try not counting the shells,I've seem to have reached
A level of shooting where I walk into last traps a lot with good scores and drop 2 or 3 in the last
10 shots.
I know I think to much when I'm shooting but I can't help it,I've tried music and it didn't seem to work.
I had a good shooter tell me he thinks I'm probably shooting a dead stick,not moving the gun to the target.
Thanks again guys
Im pretty sure it doesn't matter what post he's on, I'm thinking its the last ten birds period, regardless of post....
I ran 24 out of 25 on my handicaps Friday night. I was screaming at myself not to count and not to think, just shoot one bird one at a time for at least the last 10 targets. When I called my last bird I could have placed a 2X4 between my head and the stock. God...I was pissed! Stupid mistake and one I've made many times before. I think I was so pumped to get that last bird that I was overcompensating and totally rushed the shot, lifting my head when I didnt see it where I thought it should be. That one bird cost me a win and a good shot at some money. Oh well...at least I know what went wrong. If I'm going to miss a target, I'd rather it be a loss like that than to have everything look "perfect" and still not break the target!

·
Registered
668 Posts
There's no getting around it...you WILL know your score and whether you're shooting a good round. Some are good at turning off their mind and some aren't....I'm not! I think its about pre-shot routine and trigger-talk. If you have a specific routine it gives your mind somewhere to go. If you engage in "trigger talk", it gives you something else to concentrate on. My trigger talk is "tight hands" and "freeze", as in "don't move until you see the bird clearly".

The other thing is...the more you're in that good position of being clean (or close) at the end, the more you'll get used to it!

Trail

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I was thinking about shooting more singles instead of caps for practice, easier chance to run 25.
I have heard of shooters drinking day quill to keep them calm.

·
Premium Member
11,721 Posts
It happens.

You tell yourself, "I've hammered the first 20 targets, these last 5 should be a piece of cake."

It's conditioning your mind to believe the round is over and you can relax now.

And it's an easy trap to fall into (no pun intended.)

You just have to remind yourself when you set your feet on that last stand that the round isn't over until the last person on the squad has shot their last target.

Gotta keep that focus all the way to the end.

Reactions: WadHopper

·
Banned
1,598 Posts
I know if I had a gauge on "concentration" my gauge reads max on the first post I shoot than levels off and I finish with max concentration on the last post. I know you should be fluent all the way through but I had to start doing this to prevent those stupid first target misses and the last target misses.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts