Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How many on here have had lasik surgery? I was supposed to have mine in April but it was pushed back till July due to the Covid-19. I am honestly legally blind without my glasses on with 20/900 vision and 20/25 with my glasses. My biggest excitement with getting this surgery is being about to get a true pair of shooting glasses and trying a shooters Dot on the left lens and trying to learn to shoot with both eyes open. I am left eye dominant and a right handed shooter.
Let’s here everyone’s feedback on the lasik, any regrets?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
31,712 Posts
Been 20 years now since I had mine done. Had both eyes fixed for distance, no of that mono vision crap. Only problem it does not prevent far sightedness and cataracts. Has something to do with old age I think.

Reactions: Lazy_H

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
I was discussing the procedure with my eye doctor, and the topic of astigmatism came up. The short answer is I would have to use reading glasses, as opposed to the progressive lenses I wear now. I decided to forego the whole thing. YMMV.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I’m 29 now, my eye doctor told me that this is a good age to have it. He said I would maybe have 10 years before I would most likely need reading glasses.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I had it done in 2013. Went from 20/700 to 20/25. I don't use glasses for daily use but do have superscription shooting glasses. Nice to get rid of the old thick lenses.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Most people have great results with Lasik. Double check to see if you have a tendency for dry eyes. I had Lasik done 20 years ago and it was a mixed bag. My vision was better BUT it triggered dry eye syndrone and for weeks on end it is sometimes just plain misery. Especially during the allergy season. Eyes out of focus because they are dry and just plain hurt sometimes. I have to keep a bottle of eye drops in my pocket all the time. Several years ago a drop was good for two or three hours. As I have gotten older my eyes must be getting dryer as I have to put drops in every few minutes. Remember, all you hear about from the Lasik doctors are the successes. They never tell you about the problems.

·
Registered
2,441 Posts
I had it done when I was in my late 40s. Had the laser cut the flap which was more money but my regular eye doctor said they healed up better than the cigar cutter method. Had to have a touch up on the right eye a year later. Just be aware when you eventually get cataracts the lenses they put in there can change the results you had from the lasik. After cataract surgery you could possibly need a touch up. From what I was told that could be a possible problem depending on cornea thickness. Hopefully entropy can weigh in on this. I may not be understanding all I think I know on this. All things said I don't regret having it done, just wish I'd asked way more questions about how it would affect things down the road. I'd worn glasses since I was 9 or 10 and really didn't want to wear glasses anymore. I'm like you, my glasses were so thick when I wanted sunglasses all they needed for lens blanks were 2 old seven up bottles! Lol

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
I had it done about 35 years ago, gave me back my closeup vision , got rid of my astigmatism and kept my distance vision. Got rid of my glasses all together, (tri-focals).
I'm now 75, need cheater reading glasses (150's) and my eye doctor cannot find any sign of cataracts .
My shooting glasses have a very slight prescription for distance, see the bird much better during handicap, but don't need it for every day use.
For me it was fantastic.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I had the surgery about 10 years ago now. They did the flap type surgery and haven't had any issues at all. I was wearing contacts before that and love the fact I don't have to worry about the contacts getting dirty or getting things under them.

·
Premium Member
3,389 Posts
Most people have great results with Lasik. Double check to see if you have a tendency for dry eyes. I had Lasik done 20 years ago and it was a mixed bag. My vision was better BUT it triggered dry eye syndrone and for weeks on end it is sometimes just plain misery. Especially during the allergy season. Eyes out of focus because they are dry and just plain hurt sometimes. I have to keep a bottle of eye drops in my pocket all the time. Several years ago a drop was good for two or three hours. As I have gotten older my eyes must be getting dryer as I have to put drops in every few minutes. Remember, all you hear about from the Lasik doctors are the successes. They never tell you about the problems.
Yes, my opthalmologist said "you hear about the 80% that turn out pretty well, not the 20%+ that don't." He also said he never recommended cutting on a healthy eye due to risk of infection. He fitted me with great contacts. Great doctor advice and outcome. Risky procedure.

·
Registered
8,385 Posts
The younger, the better. All too soon your multi-thousand dollar procedure ends in you buying "readers glasses". My son had excellent luck with his lasik. He wanted me to get it done, but I told him I was too old to get my money's-worth out of it. (sorta like all of my life-memberships). :1augen71:

Bob Falfa

·
Registered
717 Posts
I got about five good years until the effects faded. I have recently needed cataracts removed anyway so if I were to do it again I would skip the Laser and just wait for the lens replacements. I would at least discuss this with the surgeon before you decide. YMMV

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
How many on here have had lasik surgery? I was supposed to have mine in April but it was pushed back till July due to the Covid-19. I am honestly legally blind without my glasses on with 20/900 vision and 20/25 with my glasses. My biggest excitement with getting this surgery is being about to get a true pair of shooting glasses and trying a shooters Dot on the left lens and trying to learn to shoot with both eyes open. I am left eye dominant and a right handed shooter.
Let’s here everyone’s feedback on the lasik, any regrets?
would think you a subject for transplants. I had both done,lasik and transplants. Highly recommend the transplants. I have same dominance problem. Neither procedure changed my cross dominance problem. Not think can be done. been trying to change for 60 years. Am sure lasik much better than was in the 90's when mine was done. No regrets but would suggest you go for transplants. Both mine for distance. Read a newspaper at 1/2 mile but nothing within 2 feet of my nose. Gud luk

·
Registered
641 Posts
Had coke bottom lenses since grade school. Contacts for 30 years - where a grain of sand in your eye feels like a boulder. LASIK 25 years ago, last checkup 20-20 right eye, 20-25 left eye at age 80.
Go for the surgery, you’ll love it, no sore ears or nose or looking for lost glasses. You make have to use the cheap cheaters to read.

·
Registered
5,499 Posts
I had Lasik surgery on both eyes for distance. I ended up getting Lasik surgery 3 times on my right shooting eye trying to correct it. Finally the surgeon did PRK surgery on that eye and I could see much better. 3 years later I need glasses for both eyes along with a bifocal to read or see up close. My eyesight is worse now than before the first surgery. I had the same surgeon that did John Elway’s eyes in Denver. Never again, as it was a total waste of time along with going through the recovery process 4 times. The surgeon said I can’t have Lasik again because they won’t do it more than 3 times on anyone’s eye. WTF!!!

·
Registered
164 Posts
I had it done 2 years ago. Woke up the morning after the surgery with 20/15 vision in both eyes, and holding steady there. I wore contacts before. Totally worth it in my opinion, I would do it again in a heartbeat. I can see better now than I ever could with contacts. Money well spent. I went for the upgrade to get the lifetime warranty and to have the flaps cut by a laser instead of a knife.

Reactions: Lazy_H

·
Registered
32 Posts
Just echoing that my surgery was 100% worth it. My prescription was about -4.00 and I was seeing 20/10 the morning after the surgery. I’ve since “regressed” to 20/15 in the two-plus years since my surgery. It made a world of difference in everything, especially shooting. It took about a thousand targets to adjust but I have no complaints.

I would absolutely recommend it and do it over again, given the choice.

·
Registered
214 Posts
I had it done about 16 years ago. I Am one of the ones with issues. I was 20/680 in both eyes. Blind as bat without glasses or contacts. Ended up 20/15 in left eye and 20/35 in the right. Right eye got worse about 10 years ago. Ended up being a bulge in my cornea that was giving me an astigmatism so bad it was getting hard to focus. Ended up switching to left hand at age 40. Been 4 years and I am finally shooting the scores I was before. Right eye has such a bad astigmatism that it cannot be corrected. Left eye has some astigmatism but I live without glasses or contacts. I am still happy I can wake up and see the clock but it has been a huge challenge to relearn how to shoot with the other hand. I am gliding toward having to use readers in the not too distant future but that is part of being the wrong side of forty.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts