Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The thread about fatigue and sight brought up a topic that's been bouncing around my tinker toy factory for awhile...

What are the thoughts on things like Lasik eye surgery to improve vision and how well has it worked out for shooters?

I was 20/15 both eyes my whole life until 50, then my right (shooting) eye degraded. I'm not really sure if I'm an ideal candidate for eye surgery, but before I broach the subject with my doc, I'm very interested in hearing opinions.

Regards,

Chip

·
Banned
7,659 Posts
I had Lasik about 5 years ago, my current doc, said the guy who did Lasik on a person over 60 years of age, should have never done it. At 60+ you're a prime target for cataracts and Lasik makes the procedure more complicated.

Phil Berkowitz

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Phil,

Good stuff, I'm 55. How did the Lasik work out for you in regards to shooting and visual acuity?

Chip

·
Registered
213 Posts
I had lasik about 8 years ago. Best thing I ever did. Have been 20/15 and nothing has changed. I think one of the keys is is to go with the best you can find, dont settle for the bargain basement ones.

·
Registered
628 Posts
Had mine done over 15 years ago by a man that was about to do his 10,000th eye.
It is very important to have an experienced person do the job. You may pay a little more but he's not learning on your eyes. Results are great, wore glasses since the 2nd grade, contacts for 35 years, lasiks is the greatest. Now at 74+ cataracts are creeping in. We'll see. Good luck.
Jim

·
Premium Member
2,001 Posts
I had the surgery 16 years ago when I was 43. It has held up well on one eye for distance, but my right eye has deteriorated and now need reading glasses. I buy the 1.25 prescription $5 off the shelf readers from Wal-Mart and they work fine. Bu shooting is great. Glad I did it and will never want glasses or contacts on my eyes ever again...

·
Registered
4,295 Posts
Myself, I had just the right eye done, as my work requires lots of close up stuff and I didn't want to have to wear the cheaters. (mono vision)

That said, at this time, I still have to wear them for small print. Most stuff I can get by without.

I am pleased in my shooting, altho at times the eyes don't work for crap, LOL

Do as the others have suggested. find the best.

Rick in MT

·
Registered
217 Posts
I had my Lasik surgery shortly after I began shooting, about a year and a half ago. I was 51. I opted for a monovision procedure which corrected my left eye for reading and my right eye for distance. My doctor advised me that the procedure was not for everyone, but it most definitely was one of my better decisions. I am a one-eyed shooter.

·
Banned
2,562 Posts
Had both done. For distance. Still read newspaper with nothing. 56 years old. Last one was in 2005.

Screw contacts and glasses....

·
Banned
8,492 Posts
I has implants put in. Very simple surgery. Takes abot 15 min. Per eye. They do one eye then do the othern about 1 to 3 wks. later. I had it done when they removed cataracts. I was told I would never have cataracts again. I'm 66 and wore starting the 8 th grade. Got the surgery done at 65. Couldn't be happier. You can do anything you can do when you were a kid before glasses. Can't quite run as fast or swim as far but could still do it. (If I wanted ) Bill

·
Banned
7,659 Posts
Lasik when it works is great, my eyes were 15/20 after surgery, The main reason I felt good about the procedure, was--the USN , mandates Lsik for all carrier based pilots.

Phil Berkowitz

·
Registered
173 Posts
Hello there, I wanted to tell you of my experience with this. 2 summers ago I was considering doing this also. I have the benefit of a great friend named Ray McKissick living closeby so I called him and asked his opinion. He told me that at my age, 54 then, if the doctor who examined me was honest, they would most likely find the beginnings of cataracts in my eyes, and why would you have Lasik done if youre going to have the cataracts repaired and implants done at later date? I went to see a very highly renowned doctor at a highly regarded medical center near me and she told me almost verbatim what McKissick said, that yes I do have them started in there. She said if I had her do the Lasik she would almost guarantee that I would go from being nearsighted to farsighted and would have to exchange the glasses as such. So if you have any ideas about your age and if you will need the implants done someday seek a reputable doctor who will tell you everything that's going on with your eyes. At one time I had visited a different eye clinic for a consultation and they told me that I could have Lasik done and there would be no effects as far as near or far-sightedness. They obviously were motivated by money and I walked out after realizing the game they were playing. It was more like buying a used car than a surgery place. As soon as they were done "examining" me, and it wasn't a doctor who did the exam, it was some "assistant" or something, anyway, they had all the financing options laid out waiting for a signature and the date would be booked! So Please look very carefully at everything, see a doctor that is reputable, and seek a second opinion before jumping into this. Its a lot of money, but not only that, there are charlatans out there in everything in life.

·
Registered
5,335 Posts
I'm 58 years old now. I had LASIK in March of 2012 on both eyes to be corrected for distance by the same place that did John Elway's eyes in Denver. Both eyes were 20/20 after the procedure. When 6 weeks passed my shooting eye (right) went to 20/50 but my dominant left eye stayed at 20/20 and still is. Since the first LASIK procedure I have had my right eye done 2 more times and it remains at 20/50 after healing. This sure sucks for a one-eyed shooter like me. I can only chase a blurred target for the past 2 years. It's hard to hit what you don't see well.

I'm scheduled in January to go in and have PRK done to my right eye. The doctor assures me that I will have 20/20 after it heals. They say it doesn't matter, but my right eye was the worst before surgery and had astigmatism as well. I have been a left-eye dominant right-handed shooter all my life. I tried shooting left-handed to take advantage of my great vision in the left eye but had poor results.

There are no guarantee's in any medical procedure but I'm hoping for a good outcome on mine. I'm not downing LASIK and would do it all again as it helps my overall vision greatly. I have to wear reading glasses up close but I have done that since I was 40 or so. If it wasn't for shooting I'd leave my eyes alone. I even asked about transplanting my eyes to switch them and my Doctor nearly feel off the stool. I might be placing to much value on trapshooting he said. Do you think I do?

Any Eye Doctors have more advice for myself and others? In the meantime I'll be chasing the orange streak across the trap field. Duane

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
years age I had the RK done, that was right before the lasik, was really popular...I have had good luck but am now needing a small prescription......

the main problem I had was with night vision, when my eyes dilate in the dark the scars cause a star pattern on most objects, I can't say if you would have the same problem with the lasik...

at my age 54, I think I will just stay with the glasses, and wait for the cataracts to be corrected at a later date.....

you have to wear glasses for safety anyway...

tony

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
I had worn glasses from the time I was 9. I had lasik surgery about 12 years ago at age 56 without a doubt the best thing I have ever done for myself. I am now 68 and my eye sight is still 20/18 never needed a tweek.

Get with a good eye doctor to be evaluated and go from there.

Buster
PS
I do need reading glasses to read real fine print.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts