Trapshooters Forum banner

Laorte Trap Motor Frozen

1366 Views 10 Replies 10 Participants Last post by  mg1polo
We have an older Laporte Sporting Clay's trap and the motor has seized. I have both end bells removed and cannot get the rotor out. I've had it squirted with penetrating oil and been hammering on it off and on for a few days with a dead blow and heavy nylon faced hammer and it won't budge. The bearings actually spin freely. There are signs that the motor overheated. I don't have a press to drive the rotor out, and not sure what good it will do at this point.

In any case, we will need a new or used replacement motor.
I sent a message to Laporte but have not received a response. Let me know if you are aware of any for sale or thing a trip to a repair center would be worthwhile.
I've attached a pic of the nameplate.
Wood Font Rectangle Gas Measuring instrument
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
609 Posts
We have an older Laporte Sporting Clay's trap and the motor has seized. I have both end bells removed and cannot get the rotor out. I've had it squirted with penetrating oil and been hammering on it off and on for a few days with a dead blow and heavy nylon faced hammer and it won't budge. The bearings actually spin freely. There are signs that the motor overheated. I don't have a press to drive the rotor out, and not sure what good it will do at this point.

I sent a message to Laporte but have not received a response. Let me know if you are aware of any for sale or thing a trip to a repair center would be worthwhile.
View attachment 1745222
Try WW Granger. They have a large variety of motors. See if something there will work.

· Premium Member
15,919 Posts
Pretty standard motor - 1/2 HP 1800 RPM (probably would be OK with a 1740 RPM - which is more common). You will need to match the motor shaft for diameter and length and double check the mounting bolt pattern and where the power feed goes into it.

I match motors up for restaurant equipment and HVAC units all the time - factory motor will be $650 - aftermarket with identical specs - more like $150 ~ $250

· Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Pretty standard motor - 1/2 HP 1800 RPM (probably would be OK with a 1740 RPM - which is more common). You will need to match the motor shaft for diameter and length and double check the mounting bolt pattern and where the power feed goes into it.

I match motors up for restaurant equipment and HVAC units all the time - factory motor will be $650 - aftermarket with identical specs - more like $150 ~ $250
Unfortunately, I was not the person that pulled the motor, but it had a bracket attached. It is an odd frame size LS71P and with a double ended shaft, with one side knurled and the other keyed. I'll visit the trap tomorrow and see how it was mounted.

· Registered
779 Posts
call tyler he will set you up

4839 Justin Drive
Dryden, MI 48428
Work: (810) 796 – 2625
Cell: (810) 338 – 3242
Email: [email protected]

· Registered
2,637 Posts
A word of advice to others.

To help avoid the over heating situations, it is imperative that you keep the debris from broken targets, dirt and grime from the cooling fins around the housing.

This is the part that provides the cooling of the motor. When I repaired the old trap and skeet machines, and saw all the crud built up around the motors, I would always tell the people in charge to keep those areas free from all the crud so there would be a good airflow through them.

This motor is 30 years old by the tag, and probably had many hours of use so I am not surprised with the problem. These motors go through all sorts of weather, and non cleaning.

Good luck, and let us know ow you make out. We are always open to seeing how others find parts, and where.

· Banned
9,591 Posts

View attachment 1745222
Why not call the manufacturer?
CONTACT LAPORTE AMERICA FOR SALES AND SERVICE

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.