Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,671 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Being a cattle farmer as a young boy, you never mentioned sheep! Therefore, never cooked in my life! It is time to try before the dirt nap! How do I cook?! Hot,fast, med rare like a good ribeye or what?! Thanks guys! Tom Rhoads

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Darn, I thought this was going to be a Montana Joke.:icon_razz: Let them get to room temp. Salt them for 20-30min sear each side on a hot grill, move to the top rack of the BBQ to Med Rare (5 more minutes) Put mint sauce on it.

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
Simple to cook. I like them rubbed with olive oil, coated with salt pepper, chopped thyme, and chopped rosemary. Cook them hot and fast, I like to use a cast iron skillet. Medium rare is where it is at. Traditionally served with a mint yogurt sauce but delicious with out the sauce.

·
Registered
2,671 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
David Comroe! If I use the cast iron skillet instead of gas grill, what cooking oil do I use? Thanks, Tom Rhoads

·
Registered
313 Posts
Tom, I work with a guy who rasises sheep. He is a pro at cooking them as chops, or burgers or anything you would like. I should be back to work Monday and I will check with him for some recipes.

Ross Randall

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
David Comroe! If I use the cast iron skillet instead of gas grill, what cooking oil do I use? Thanks, Tom Rhoads
Any vegetable cooking oil should be fine: Canola, peanut, etc. I would coat the chops in olive oil but I wouldn't use olive oil in the pan to cook them. Heat the pan to medium high, if the oil smokes by itself you're too hot. You want the oil to sizzle when you put the chops in, be careful for flying hot oil. You don't want the oil so hot that it burns or blackens the chops. Let us know how it turned out. If you can cook a decent steak you can do this with your eyes closed.

-dave

·
Registered
2,671 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Went with the hot gas grill method and only used salt, pepper, and garlic powder. Did not use mint sauce as I wanted to fully taste just the lamb! To be honest with you, it was outstanding and very simple! Will do again. By the way, cooked to med rare and used the loin chops! Thanks guys! Tom Rhoads

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Tom, you figured out the best way yourself, garlic powder, salt and pepper.
If they are really good chops try them more on the rare side instead of med rare.
One of the best tasting red meats there is.

·
Registered
6,208 Posts
My wife and I love lamb, and here is how I cook it. On my charcoal grill. over a red hot coals fire coo direct for 2 minutes on each side. Then move to an area of the grill that is cooler and cook indirect for another 7 minutes. The outside should be charred and the inside pink. Do not over cook med rare or less, might take a few tries but it's great. You can always cook it more, so error on the side of rare.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts