Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am upgrading to an o/u from my BT99 for trap. Narrowed choices to Syren Tempio sporting, Blaser F16 Intuition or Beretta Vittoria. 30". Any input would be appreciated!

·
Registered
14 Posts
It seems the Syren Tempio is the talk of the town. Just bought one for my girlfriend. The Vittoria is being Re-marketed and will come out the end of April.

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Spent 6 months demoing guns and finally my wife settled on Blaser F3.
The Intuition was just announced and we didn't get to shoot that gun.
I would nonetheless recommend the Blaser, it's a great gun.

·
Registered
'07 Kolar Max TA 3bbl set, Jeff Mainland fitted
2,741 Posts
I have it on good authority from a top lady shooter that the Syren Tempio is a nice bit of marketing from Caesar Gurini, and not much else. They added a rose and lady wood to the regular guy gun and charged some extra money for it. You can get the guy gun with lady wood from Bob Schultz and save enough to buy a bunch of extra shells, I'm told. BTW she likes hers very much, and is shooting it very well.

·
Registered
920 Posts
I have two friends who bought the F16 and thought that it was too light and "whippy". Both sold theirs and one bought an F3 and one bought a DT11. Both are much more satisfied with their newer guns. JPM

·
Registered
101 Posts
I know of several ladies shooting Syrens and they love them. Of course none of the stock dimensions are perfect, but much better than a "mens" gun to help combat the anatomical differences...but they are still not perfect for everyone. The best option is to always get a custom stock if you can swing it.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I shoot an old 682 greystone with a PFS stock. I find the guns marketed for women are too light for me as well as they still dont always fit well even with shortened length of pull. It will all depend on what fits you best. I know some one who has the Syren and is very happy with it.

·
Registered
486 Posts
The syren has a stock on it that works well for many ladies. Not only is it shorter with different pitch but the grip is a lot smaller. It has a narrower wrist, shorter length, smaller palm swell, and a shorter trigger reach. No stock will be perfect for everybody but of the 4-5 ladies I know shooting it they absolutely love it. So many men on the smaller side, me included, wanted to buy it but without the flower engraving guerini released the summit compact which is the same gun and stock dimensions without the flowered engraving. I was told that by the marketing director when I spoke with her about getting one without the engraving and just before they released the compact.

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
I know of several ladies shooting Syrens and they love them. Of course none of the stock dimensions are perfect, but much better than a "mens" gun to help combat the anatomical differences...but they are still not perfect for everyone. The best option is to always get a custom stock if you can swing it.
Since the main difference is the stock dimensions, and that being minimally different at that, my suggestion would be to buy whatever gun you think best, but set aside some dough to have it fitted.
Before buying the F3 my wife took our son's retired BT99 and had the stock cut down to 12 7/8" LOP.
As soon as we bought the Blaser we took off the stock that came with it and bought a Lady's Wenig stock(used).

If you follow this route you'll want to take your time as it is more of an investment, but you'll be much happier in the end.

There are generally two important factors for ladys smaller hands, smaller pistol grip; smaller stature, shorter length of pull.
Same advice as for a man, get it fitted.

·
Premium Member
348 Posts
As a woman I agree with BSD. Woman shooters may be petite but not usually frail. We want the gun to be heavy enough to absorb recoil and enhance a smooth swing. Glad to see the size of the pistol grip mentioned. I find that to be more of a factor than weight. Also pay attention to the size of the forearm. For me, I did not like the " estrogen guns" . I picked up the lady blaser and I put it right down and headed for the F3. It was too light after starting on a average size shotgun.Consider a PFS if you do not want a custom stock. It may not be pretty but she will be shooting it not dating it. Nothing is better looking then a good score.

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
...Consider a PFS if you do not want a custom stock...
I agree with Candy, and we tried the PFS route as well, but unfortunately their grips aren't sized for ladys.
You could start with a PFS to get your size in the ballpark and then have a stock made.
You could also look at the other "transformers" style stocks like the Ergosign/Evocomp, or the TSK which both sell different sized grips. First you find the grip that fits your hand, then add on an adjustable stock.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I have built up the grip on my PFS which moves my hand forward towards the trigger, all it took was a stick on palm swell from kick eez and tennis racquet grip to wrap it . Not the prettiest stock in the world but it works for me and allows me to shoot many other guns without having to cut the stock.

·
Registered
69 Posts
ktrusi,

I shoot a Blaser F3 comp sporting (the flat rib) for all shotgun disciplines, but especially trap and skeet. I’ve spent years getting beat up over thousands of rounds and gone through all the recoil reduction devices (and I do mean ALL of them!) The F3 is an incredible shotgun and I highly recommend you check it out. I had a soft comb made for mine and an extra squishy pad on an adjustable butt plate, so it sits perfectly in my shoulder. No doubt, girls shoulder pockets are different from the boys, so turning the pad is helpful. No other recoil devices necessary. My F3 is light weight, swings easily, and shoots exactly where I look. The F16 is also great.

Good luck finding the perfect shotgun for you!

Mallory Stanton

·
Registered
61 Posts
That's a tough choice. You should try them all and pick the one YOU like the best. They are all good. If you go to a big shoot where there are a lot of other women, they usually are happy to let you try their gun

·
Premium Member
106 Posts
I am upgrading to an o/u from my BT99 for trap. Narrowed choices to Syren Tempio sporting, Blaser F16 Intuition or Beretta Vittoria. 30". Any input would be appreciated!
I also upgraded from a BT99 to a Syren Tempio Trap a little over a year and a half ago. I do wish I had demo’d the gun, I bought it on shooting friends recommendations and dealer hype. I do like it but it has been a real learning experience for me. I had it professionally fitted first thing and fought with it wacking me in the face. Finally got that fixed by changing the pitch and replacing the pad. I also have a rad recoil system installed. I came really close to replacing it with a Kolar 750 that is heavier and so smooth handling. About the same time I finally got the Syren fit right and my scores improved so, I didn’t spend the money but I’m still dreaming of that Kolar. I like the smaller grip of the Syren and the lighter weight but I think the lighter weight may be why the recoil is so pronounced. I have shot about 20,000 rounds through the Syren now.

·
Registered
710 Posts
ktrusi,

I shoot a Blaser F3 comp sporting (the flat rib) for all shotgun disciplines, but especially trap and skeet. I’ve spent years getting beat up over thousands of rounds and gone through all the recoil reduction devices (and I do mean ALL of them!) The F3 is an incredible shotgun and I highly recommend you check it out. I had a soft comb made for mine and an extra squishy pad on an adjustable butt plate, so it sits perfectly in my shoulder. No doubt, girls shoulder pockets are different from the boys, so turning the pad is helpful. No other recoil devices necessary. My F3 is light weight, swings easily, and shoots exactly where I look. The F16 is also great.

Good luck finding the perfect shotgun for you!

Mallory Stanton

If you don’t know Mallory, she is a 9 time ATA All American, as well as All American and World Champion Skeet shooter

·
Registered
14 Posts
The Syren Tiempo is a great gun. The cheaper one, the Elos has "triwood" which is supposed to be treated wood but is actually a laminate, like Ikea. Because of the Ikea wood, they tell you it can't be cut. The website's description of triwood is highly deceiving.

·
Registered
101 Posts
The Syren Tiempo is a great gun. The cheaper one, the Elos has "triwood" which is supposed to be treated wood but is actually a laminate, like Ikea. Because of the Ikea wood, they tell you it can't be cut. The website's description of triwood is highly deceiving.
My gunsmith has successfully cut down several Syren Elos shotguns with zero issues. Just an FYI!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts