Trapshooters Forum banner

LA STATE SHOOT

999 Views 15 Replies 9 Participants Last post by  Pull & Mark
Hey everyone looking at attending the LA State shoot at the end of April. My daughter is chasing points and we are having a helluva time finding shells in LA or TX. We don't need much any chance someone going to the LA shoot has enough for us to buy some. We are flying in and this is the only hold up for confirming all my reservations. Any help is appreciated.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Just a FYI as it were. Is it possible for you to ship your own shells/reloads to this shoot? Maybe someone at the clubhouse can hold them for you in the backroom? Its worth checking out. Good Luck to Ya. break em all jeff
Once i start shipping my own from home it starts becoming cost prohibitive. I may just need to look at other shoots that have ammo availability like the grands. Buy what your signed up for.

· Registered
13,535 Posts
Once i start shipping my own from home it starts becoming cost prohibitive.
I guess that depends on how badly you want to go to this shoot? If your going to spend 2 grand on traveling, food, lodging, targets, shells, and betting!!! Spending a lousy $100 to ship your ammo is chicken feed if you really want to go!!! break em all jeff

· Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I guess that depends on how badly you want to go to this shoot? If your going to spend 2 grand on traveling, food, lodging, targets, shells, and betting!!! Spending a lousy $100 to ship your ammo is chicken feed if you really want to go!!! break em all jeff
Well if you know how to ship 10 flats for chicken feed money I'm all ears? 30# per case and need at least 10 cases its more than both mine and hers round trip ticket. plus its considered hazmat add some more $$ trust me I'm never on the cheap lol but shipping ideas have been exhausted.

· Premium Member
30,370 Posts
Well if you know how to ship 10 flats for chicken feed money I'm all ears? 30# per case and need at least 10 cases its more than both mine and hers round trip ticket. plus its considered hazmat add some more $$ trust me I'm never on the cheap lol but shipping ideas have been exhausted.
Ammo is not hazmat. It is ORM-D

· Just getting by.....
2,032 Posts
After December 31, 2020, the ORM-D classification will be obsolete per D.O.T. HM-215K

All ORM-D classifications (Consumer Commodity; Cartridges, small arms; and Cartridges power device) are being eliminated and may no longer be used after December 31, 2020.

It just needs this now and has to go ground service:

· Registered
13,535 Posts
Well if you know how to ship 10 flats f
First you head down to your UPS shipping hub. Their should only be one in your entire county. Not your local UPS shipping store, by all the rest of retail stores in a strip shopping center somewhere in your town. Then you pay them what they ask for. You should be able to ship a flat for about 15 bucks, snail ground mail. Since your doing 10 flats you may get a price break. Just so you know, there is no hazmat fee for shipping assembled shells. Its just heavy to ship, so its costly. There is no extra bulk shipping charge, like there is for shipping wads!!! Good Luck and don't forget to break em all jeff

PS both you and your wife are both allowed 11 pounds of ammo "Each" while flying for free as well. In each of your checked baggage. So keep that in mind. It does count on your max weight on each piece of your luggage as well. Good Luck at your next shoot. break em all jeff

· Premium Member
795 Posts
I've duct taped 2 flats together and shipped them from a UPS hub. The were within weight specs and went from Ne to Az. I don't remember the cost but wasn't horrible. This was several years ago though. Good luck with your daughter and her All American chase !! DEFINITLY don't go to a retail UPS store !

· Registered
407 Posts
Chasing points gets expensive. If I remember correctly points are only awarded with ATA trophy events. State shoots usually have 200 singles, 100 doubles, and 100 handicap as ATA championship events. You might ship ammo for those events and take your chances for the rest of the program when you get there.

· Just getting by.....
2,032 Posts
Check this shipping calculator it will show the discounts you can get online:

Two flats will fit in a 15x10x10 box and be around 50 pounds, price could be around $25 (I priced SW VA to GA with UPS, FedEx is $8 more)

10 flats shipped in five shipments should be under $200 easy.

· Registered
3,088 Posts
PS both you and your wife are both allowed 11 pounds of ammo "Each" while flying for free as well. In each of your checked baggage. So keep that in mind. It does count on your max weight on each piece of your luggage as well. Good Luck at your next shoot. break em all jeff
11lbs is just for some airlines. Alaska is ok with 50lbs. FAA/TSA don't care how much ammo you bring.
I typically throw two cases in my clothes bag when I'm flying with shotgun ammo. I have yet to have an airline care about how much ammo I have with me.

· Registered
249 Posts
If you are chasing points why not give some thought to California’s state shoot?

Competition factor 4 and we get very few out of state shooters. Resident and Non Resident trophies are offered in all events. Last year not a single out of state Lady 1 category shooter, she can get first place points in every event.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.