Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Would a L C Smith Field Grade plain sidelock 12 gauge side x side be a sought after shotgun in the US. Just thought that I would post the above question to find out more about the make serial number is 34637? condition is good with a tight lock-up and not a lot of use. Educate me and share your knowledge please.
Thank you all Phil

·
Registered
665 Posts
Phil - I have a field grade LC Smith side x side (12 gauge) that was my great-grandfather's hunting gun. Family heirloom so to speak. I've always thought it was a very nice looking gun.

It got beat up pretty bad at one point in it's life so my Dad restored the gun back in the 1970's. Replaced some pieces in the stock, refinished the wood and cut the checkering on both the stock and forearm. Turned out real nice. Would need new firing pins so at this point it is un-fireable. I would never fire it anyhow I guess, as it's an heirloom and will be passed down to my son.

Saw one in a Cabela's gun library a number of years back and the price tag I believe was right around $1200. I couldn't help but look at the price. Curiosity is all it was as I'd never sell the one I own. I'm not a gun collector so I could not say whether they are sought after or not, but they are a piece of American history that's for sure. - Jeff

·
Registered
4,787 Posts
Your gun was manufactured in 1920 Phil.
Have you found this site?
The L.C. Smith Collectors Association

The market for used but not abused 12g U.S. maker Field grade guns has been quite poor, and unlikely to improve. An "average" condition Field grade Smith, Ithaca NID, Parker Trojan, or Fox Sterlingworth is unlikely to actually sell for more than $750, despite the "irrationally exuberant" asking prices.
The interest for small bores, and high grade or very high condition guns remains however, esp. small bore Parker, Fox and Lefevers.

Reactions: jslytlemn
1 - 3 of 3 Posts