Trapshooters Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a browning o/u that was made in 1981 according to serial#.The gun .is a 12 gauge with a broadway rib/standard trap stock,but has no model name on it anywhere,just browning on side above trigger.It also has a indented button at the front of forearm to remove forearm.Does anyone know what the model of this gun is? It has imp.mod/full chokes (fixed).It also says made in Belgium.

thanks,
joe

·
Registered
160 Posts
May well be a Leige(sp) model. These were less expensive Belguim guns and were not marked as well as most Brownings. Cant find my Browning book at the moment but the L might be for Leige. Will locate book and be back with you...Fred

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks alot Fred.The wood to me is very plain,but the gun is tight and shoots nice.I would like to know what it is.total serial# isL13pz04503

thanks,
joe

·
Registered
3,476 Posts
JRB100,

It appears there is no letter "L" used in any of the Browning serial numbers. Could the L actually be the number 2? If your sn is 213 pz xxxxx then it's a 12 ga made in 1981.

Eric

·
Registered
61 Posts
Most likey the model of your shotgun is a Browning model B-27. They were imported for about 2 years in the mid 80's.

I agree. It's kind of a screwed up mess when they don't put the model # on the gun especially when the manufacturer may have 100's of models to sort through.

Darryl Howard

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
eric,
No doubt is an L before the numbers.I saw the same thing.I have looked on every website with no luck.The forearm release in the front seems to be uncommon also.

joe

·
Registered
61 Posts
It's funny how things happen. A guy can go a year or two or several and never hear a word about a B-27. This morning in the "quiet room" I cracked my November T & F and they had a write-up about the B-27 and the models leading up to it. Check it out. It's worth the trouble!

Darryl

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
darryl,
I bought the gun off a guy at my club who was selling it for a friend of his that died family,so he did'nt know what model it was either.I paid 500.00 for it and put a 9/16 inch high Keen rib and pad adjuster,added weight to the stock and got weight to 8 1/2 pounds.The gun handles nice now and shoots good for me.
I will check article out.

thanks,
joe

·
Registered
166 Posts
jrb1000, I believe that one of the previous posters had it right. The "L" should have been a 2. Brownings serial #'s from 1976 through 1986 began with a code. 213 designated a 12 gauge (233 a 20 ga, 733 a 28 gauge and 183 a .410), it was followed by a year code with PZ standing for 81 (P=8 and Z=1)then it was followed by the actual serial # of 04503. If they did indeed used an L, I would say it was a mistake on a workers part.

You can find the codes at this URL. http://www.browning.com/customerservice/dategun/detail.asp?id=42

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
custom stox,
Google browning B 27 and you can see for yourself.I found a site that has the original manual and it clearly shows the gun.The serial # begins with an L on these guns.

thanks,
joe

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.