Trapshooters Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am calling on my KY trapshooting colleagues to help form teams in their counties. Lexington Catholic High School has been coming to BGSL every Tuesday night practicing, a night that we were previously closed. The kids are doing great and having a blast, almost as much as their assistant coach, yours truly.
Call your local Athletic Director or principal, set up a meeting. It may take some time and effort, but I can guarantee you that the benefits outweigh any of the obstacles. If we, experienced trapshooters , don't put forth the leadership and help it will be difficult to get this going.
LCHS has a teacher, Brenden O'Sullivan, who is the head coach and fellow teacher, Katherine, is his assistant. Members at BGSL have helped me with instruction , for which I am grateful. Walter Miller , BGSL President, has been very supportive. As you can see, it's a group effort
I can't wait until BGSL hosts the First Kentucky State High School Trapshooting Championship in May of 2016.
You need to be there!

Charlie Becknell

·
Premium Member
3,220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Come on guys (and ladies), get your teams ready.

·
Registered
4,909 Posts
Charlie,
Check out the wildly successful High School trap program in Minnesota. Maybe their are some aspects of their program that will help for KY.
'15 was incredible.

"Welcome to the WORLD’S LARGEST shooting sport event!
More than 200 high school teams featuring more than 10,000 student athletes are anticipated for the 2016 Trap Shooting Championship, June 14-21 at the Alexandria Shooting Park in Alexandria, Minnesota."

·
Premium Member
3,220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have spoken with Minnesota people and have used their information. I have contacted some schools but it would be helpful if a few of my shooting colleagues would contact their local schools.

·
Premium Member
3,220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
I envision not only High School State Championships but , eventually a National Championship. If you dream, might as well dream BIG.

·
Premium Member
3,220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have been in touch with an interested parties from Scott County and Wayne County. I spoke with Athletic director from Clay County. The time is now, Kentucky needs this for the kids. . Kenny Knott and I talked a couple of days ago and he was very encouraging, thanks Kenny.

Karla Ann Harrisonalso got in touch with me and is going to do an article on high school trapshooting. Appreciated her encouragement and insights.

Charlie

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am calling on my KY trapshooting colleagues to help form teams in their counties. Lexington Catholic High School has been coming to BGSL every Tuesday night practicing, a night that we were previously closed. The kids are doing great and having a blast, almost as much as their assistant coach, yours truly.
Call your local Athletic Director or principal, set up a meeting. It may take some time and effort, but I can guarantee you that the benefits outweigh any of the obstacles. If we, experienced trapshooters , don't put forth the leadership and help it will be difficult to get this going.
LCHS has a teacher, Brenden O'Sullivan, who is the head coach and fellow teacher, Katherine, is his assistant. Members at BGSL have helped me with instruction , for which I am grateful. Walter Miller , BGSL President, has been very supportive. As you can see, it's a group effort
I can't wait until BGSL hosts the First Kentucky State High School Trapshooting Championship in May of 2016.
You need to be there!

Charlie Becknell
Bourbon County now has a high school team!!!

·
Premium Member
3,220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Bourbon County now has a high school team!!!
Great. Best news I've had today. I spoke with Game Warden today, I believe either Fleming County or Mason County, and he said he would get the ball rolling there.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Charlie, No Go in Bracken Co. Two individuals have talked to the Athletic director and he said "NO" and it would not be considered until the Trap shooting events are KHSAA sanctioned. The County does have a decent 4-H shooting sports program. News paper article will help. Maybe ask her to send the article to a few big news papers.

·
Premium Member
3,220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Unfortunately, KHSAA sent out a survey to check for interest and only 35 schools responded affirmatively. We needed 50. I personally spoke with Mr. Julian Tackett and he told me that we could proceed but that it would not be a sanctioned KHSAA sport at this time. He was encouraging and felt it would be a KHSAA sport in the future. It will have to be a club sport for now but we are going to make it work.
It's hard to argue with a sport that is gender neutral, fun, and the kids don't get hurt. It allows kids of all sizes and shapes to compete and build confidence in their abilities.

Charlie

·
Premium Member
3,220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Roger , a welcomed colleague from my past, it is good to hear from you. Wish you were in Lexington, I'd take you to BGSL

·
Registered
722 Posts
Only 35 schools responded affirmatively that’s crazy – have you tried approaching it with the academic benefit of increased concentration and focus concepts taught in trap shooting? Every parent I have talked to about the MN HS program says they have seen an increase in their kids GPA and overall academic performance.

·
Premium Member
3,220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Baron, moving slow but moving. I spoke with a KY shooter tonight who will help in his area, Montgomery County.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts