Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been shooting a 6s for about 4 months, prior a bt99. I seem to be having real problems with the roll over comb. Just can’t be consistent with it, has any others had this issue? If so, your fix would be appreciated.

·
Premium Member
6,801 Posts
What is it your doing different. I shoot a Ljutic that has a roll over comb and Its very comfortable to shoot . Does your gun have adjustments for the comb? Is your eye in alignment with the rib? Check and see.

·
Registered
3,618 Posts
You can have a conventional comb made for a reasonable price.
It is a cheaper then a new stock and will allow you to determine if the rollover comb is the issue.

Its All Good

West

·
Registered
574 Posts
Have you checked your POI? KX6S come from the factory 80/20 (9"high) .Over the many years of existence,BT's have been made with POI's from 3" to 12" high.

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
I think the comb, while very comfortable, will lure you into reducing good cheek pressure. The roll gives you less feedback and you may be getting inconsistent on stock position. I attribute this to toe-out/drop that is not correct for you. So, makes sure that toe-out and drop are correct for getting the comb into the proper position on your face without having to put a lot of mental energy into the process.

By the way, I have no credentials or accolades to support this theory. Good luck.

K

·
Registered
2,976 Posts
You can have a conventional comb made for a reasonable price.
It is a cheaper then a new stock and will allow you to determine if the rollover comb is the issue.

Its All Good

West
Keith Heeg made me one just before he passed. Best money I ever spent..

Jon Reitz

·
Registered
775 Posts
People either love or hate the rollover stock. I bought my K-80 with one and love it. I’ve also shot two friends KX-6 Specials and loved the stock on them too. A few others at my club that love their rollovers on their newer K-80’s.
But there are also a few that can’t stand them. One guy sold his rollover and installed a PFS on his KX-6 S and really likes it. Another guy sold his brand new K-80 with rollover two months after he bought it because he couldn’t get used to it. He went with a new Kolar and likes it better. The guy who bought his gun loves it!
Go figure.

·
Premium Member
502 Posts
Wykoni, I shoot a K-80 TS. It has a very similar comb/stock as the KX6 special. I agree with what Mr Fleming has to say in an earlier post. I have very inconsistent scores with this gun, and came from a very traditional type of comb, (Beretta). I have found that if I mount the gun by raising the stock to My face, making sure that I center the rib in line with My eye, that I have better scores. Unfortunately for Me, if I do this, I do not have the recoil pad perfectly in the pocket. I am planning on having a different stock made for this gun in the fall. Who knows, maybe I’m just a shitty shot? Good luck in Your venture.

·
Registered
4,760 Posts
What is it your doing different. I shoot a Ljutic that has a roll over comb and Its very comfortable to shoot . Does your gun have adjustments for the comb? Is your eye in alignment with the rib? Check and see.
I've shot Ljutics with roll-over combs,and without, and a KX6S, no problem with any of them.
A soft comb, is just that; a solid core over rubber or such, with a leather (or such) cover.
Here's a pic I grabbed from Don Rackley's ad for a TM-1 he recently sold to illustrate a soft comb:

Perazzi soft comb.jpeg

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Not really sure what I am going to do. I am looking at a PFS, also have talked to Tron about a soft comb. I have a 725 pro trap but don’t want to give up on 6s.

·
Registered
3,618 Posts
Not really sure what I am going to do. I am looking at a PFS, also have talked to Tron about a soft comb. I have a 725 pro trap but don’t want to give up on 6s.
Soft combs are an option but I would go with a wooden comb unless I was dealing with cheek pain.

Its All Good

West

·
Registered
3,618 Posts
So your saying u would move to a soft comb
I have edited my post.

I don't see a reason to go with the soft comb based on your original post.

The folks I know who use a soft comb, typically it is due to cheek pain.

Jon Reitz any chance you could post a picture of your stock?

Its All Good

West

·
Registered
2,976 Posts
I have edited my post.

I don't see a reason to go with the soft comb based on your original post.

The folks I know who use a soft comb, typically it is due to cheek pain.

Its All Good

West
Yes, I will try to do that tomorrow, along with the original rollover as it came from Krieghoff for comparison.

Jon Reitz

·
Registered
325 Posts
I had my KX-6 Special for less than a month before I bought a Stock Lock from Pat McCarthy. I could not get used to the roll-over comb. The less, more, and different pressure I needed to apply to my stock just messed with my head (and eye alignment). FYI, my shoulder really appreciates the recoil reduction of the Stock Lock.

·
What squad am I on?
Lots of different guns...
8,023 Posts
Rather than re-write a PM I’ll sum it up by saying...
I had just over 2700 rounds through mine when I switched to a Stock Lock.
I am now at 3300 and feel much more connected to the gun.
I liked the rollover but as others have stated, I felt it led to inconsistency in my mount, I was missing that connection with the comb that I’ve grown accustomed to, especially when wearing a jacket.

Here’s some pictures for comparison, including Zimmie’s KX6S with a PFS.

Original factory stock:

E7FD2732-B3B4-4604-A349-2FC3099F1778.png

Stock Lock:

BDC72B14-4FA6-4B5A-A9C1-1799FFDE1548.jpeg

BBB3DD43-C2C5-45F4-ABC3-F3D076F6DF46.jpeg

Factory vs Stock Lock

FACTORYVSSTOCKLOCK.jpg

Zimmie’s PFS

036694E5-F5A2-45E2-A2C4-598055348F5F.jpeg

In all honesty, I didn’t choose to get a different stock due to the rollover, my decision was based solely on recoil reduction. Not that the KX6S has a lot of recoil, to the contrary, it’s the only gun I’ve felt comfortable shooting with just a T shirt but it’s the cumulative effect of recoil that I wanted to eliminate from my shooting. Feeling more connected with the gun was an afterthought and a good sign that a rollover might not have been for me.

·
Registered
2,976 Posts
931B24B1-38C7-4FFB-9B5E-38CF5531B258.jpeg 833F3257-7D6E-46A0-8901-159D933341AA.jpeg

Its All Good

West
Attached are a couple pictures of the rollover comb on the left (in the first picture) as compared to the traditional style comb Keith Heeg built on the right. You can see how much the one on the left (first picture) “rolls over” versus the profile of the one Keith made on the right. I believe the first picture illustrates it best. Note that the one I had built (again on the right in the first picture) is padded. Keith suggested that to avoid drying time if he would have had to finish it, match the walnut wood grain structure, etc. I dropped the gun off in the morning and was able to pick it up later the same day. That’s the kind of guy he was. A bit of pattern board work and it was ready to go.

Like West said, if you don’t need the padded comb, a wooden one is preferable. All that said, the gun mounting process became easier and much more consistent. (I was advised of that several years ago too but chose to ignore it). I was wrong. The rollovers feel fine but are probably not the way for MOST trapshooters to go.

Shoot well.
Jon Reitz

1 - 20 of 31 Posts