Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So not having any big shoots or places to try out several different guns I have a question.

What models compare to the KX6 from :
Perazzi
CG
Kolar
Browning
Or others I did not mention.

Looking for a dedicated top single but stifled by all the configurations. Looking for some good insight from those in the know.
Thx.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
A "dedicated top single" narrows the field somewhat.

Perazzi - TM9, TM9X
CG - none
Kolar - the closest thing is a TS. It is a dedicated single but is a mid-single
Browning - BT99

Others -
Ljutic
Seitz
Alfermann

Most makers, including CG, offer top singles to fit their O/U receivers. But, those are not dedicated top singles.

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
I have a BT-99 and I just got a KX-6 special . I am trying to get used to the KX-6 but the roll over comb is it's only drawback for me. I shot a 99 in singles with it . It is light and feels good but I need to keep working on the feel of my cheek and the roll over comb! Lot's of people like the new KX-6 .

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Go to the Kolar site and look at the TS. I had one for a long time. Instead of being at the top or the bottom of the receiver the barrel is in the middle. Basically it looks like Kolar took an exisitng O/U frame and modified it to be a dedicated single shot with the single firing pin in the middle of the frame.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Pettifogger go to Kolar site see low profile oversingle
Yes, I almost bought one of those but that is not what the OP asked about. It is an O/U with a top single barrel. It is not a dedicated top single. I made note in my original response that most makers offer a top single for their O/U's. If the OP is really just interested in an over single/top single then there are lots of options.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I have a BT-99 and I just got a KX-6 special . I am trying to get used to the KX-6 but the roll over comb is it's only drawback for me. I shot a 99 in singles with it . It is light and feels good but I need to keep working on the feel of my cheek and the roll over comb! Lot's of people like the new KX-6 .
Do you have the factory butt pad for n the gun, if so how do you like it ?

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
Do you have the factory butt pad for n the gun, if so how do you like it ?
Yes I have the factory pad and I like it. I did try a Gooey pad on it but it didn't feel right so I put the original back on. I don't live to far from you, I am near Modesto. If the range is still open on Wednesdays in Oakdale I can meet you there and you can try it out.

·
Ya can't miss with a shotgun
2,670 Posts
The terms, “top single” and “bottom single” ONLY apply if you’re talking about a single barrel on an O/U receiver; the barrel is either in the top position, OR in the bottom position.
If a gun is built as a single purpose single barrel gun with one firing pin and one hammer, like the guns mentioned in the first two posts, it’s simply called a “single”. That’s it, regardless of what marketing wants to call it.

As for which models more closely match with the look and feel of the KX6-Special, I’d say the Perazzi TM models and the BT-99. The others mentioned are going to feel very different. I’m partial to the Ljutic.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yes I have the factory pad and I like it. I did try a Gooey pad on it but it didn't feel right so I put the original back on. I don't live to far from you, I am near Modesto. If the range is still open on Wednesdays in Oakdale I can meet you there and you can try it out.
Thank You so much PJ, that’s very nice of you. What is the range name ?

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The terms, “top single” and “bottom single” ONLY apply if you’re talking about a single barrel on an O/U receiver; the barrel is either in the top position, OR in the bottom position.
If a gun is built as a single purpose single barrel gun with one firing pin and one hammer, like the guns mentioned in the first two posts, it’s simply called a “single”. That’s it, regardless of what marketing wants to call it.

As for which models more closely match with the look and feel of the KX6-Special, I’d say the Perazzi TM models and the BT-99. The others mentioned are going to feel very different. I’m partial to the Ljutic.

Thanks Jaburg I used the wrong terminology for what I was trying to describe what I wanted. Thank you everyone for the lesson.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts