Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a friend who has shot trap for quite some time and is looking into purchasing a single barrel after beng a Model 12 shooter for years. His local gun club has a large inventory of KS5's and his question is WHAT IS WRONG WITH THEM?. So I am asking you if you have an opinion, what is wrong with them?

·
Vendor
19,403 Posts
Just one thing. The hammer is cocked by the top lever. difficult for many, impossible for some. As the top lever spring weakens, the task becomes more normally acceptable. Other than that, the balance is good and the $ values are pretty well known. Most of the KS5s had hangers at the front of the rib that can be changed to alter POI.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
There is absolutely nothing wrong with a KS5, had one wish I would have never sold it. It handles much different from a Perazzi or a BT or most other single barrels for that matter. For me it moved super smooth and deliverate. On the other hand if I shoot a Perazzi single barrel I'm a little jumpy, because of the lighter barrel/gun. I don't think you could wear one out in a lifetime of shooting. The recoil for me was soft. Hope this helps.

Bryce

·
Registered
535 Posts
I shoot a KX5. I have no problem with the top lever at all. It has a really crisp trigger and a comfortable stock. I use the #3 choke (mod) for 16 yards and I'm amazed at the hard breaks it delivers.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I bought a 5 year old used KS5 and then I shot it for another 15 years before the bolt needed replacing. These guns are built like a tank and in my opinion dollar for dollar are the best guns on the market. Still have the KS5 as backup to the K80.

Mike

·
Administrator
8,524 Posts
Hey there, The KS-5 is a very nice single BL. trap gun.I had one come in to me on a trade and it needed service including a annual,bolt and some other things and ran me about $440.00 and should be getting it back today.I shot it befor sending it out and really liked the way it handled.I checked on getting hangars for the POI adjustment,mine is a fixed choke was told at Krieghoff that they are $105.00 per hanger.Im looking forward to shooting mine now that everything has been serviced and brought back to spec. George

·
Registered
156 Posts
The best way to open and cock the ks-5 or kx-5 is with the opposite hand,

You have so much more leverage that way it's no problem.

Using the thumb of your shooting hand is a little more trouble.

As a matter of fact I find it's easier that way with all my guns

and having the opposite hand there can catch the shell.

Bob

·
Registered
108 Posts
I've shot several guns over the years. At one point my friends kidded me about what I would be shooting week to week. I used a Browning BT-99 and Citori, an IAB, M -12, Ithaca Century and a Beretta 680 unsingle. I tried a friend's Perazzi for a few weeks, also a Ljutic, but they weren't what I was looking for.

In 1989 I bought a new KS-5 and have not looked back. It fits me well, great trigger (Kolar installed a release)and it breaks every target. (I might miss a few, though.) I've thought about upgrades to a KS-5 Special or KX, but concluded that if it ain't broke, it don't need fixin'.

The goal is to break targets; it's less important what you use to do it. If I shot better with an M-12 field with a plain barrel, that's what I'd use.

For the money, I don't know if you can do better than a KS-5, but you can certainly do worse.

shoot well.

·
Banned
9,042 Posts
Had guy try my KS-5 Special once. He kept saying why is it so hard to open. I would walk up and open it, felt like usual. Gave it back, and a few shots later, again. I walked up opened it up. I could not figure out what he was talking about. Then it hit me, the trigger does cock with the top lever movement. I just am so used to it, that I never realize it requires slightly more pressure to open then his worn Beretta 682. I use the palm of my hand to move the lever, and catch the ejecting shell in my fingers.

As for the KS-5 itself, I think I have made myself pretty clear on where I stand on them in other posts. The simplest, yet most effective, integrated, design in a SBT gun, including the release trigger. For the price you can get a nice used one for, you can't go wrong. The Annual Service, (now $195) from Krieghoff, in my opinion, is not necessary every year. Shot mine for almost ten years, before it started locking up when closed. A little to long of wait I know. The gun was still tight, but the locking bolt was worn. Springs and everything else seemed fine.

With the annual service, $150 at the time (New Springs), a new locking block, surface milled the face of the receiver, if I can remember was $350. That was four, or five years ago, I think.

·
Registered
6,210 Posts
If you want a gun that blows birds out of the sky get yourself a CG Summit Trap. That is a bird bustin machine. Never in a million years did I expect that kind of performance from a trap gun. AWESOME is an understatement.

·
Registered
6,230 Posts
Tom:

Why post that on this thread?

By the way, you forgot the part about how AWESOME CG's service is every time it breaks. I mean, if you're gonna spread unsolicited propaganda randomly, at least memorize the standard CG talking points. Jeez.

-Gary

·
Registered
213 Posts
I have a KS-5 Special. There is nothing bad to be said about it. It's a quality firearm that I plan on having for the rest of my life.

·
Registered
520 Posts
I have been shooting a KS-5 Special for almost two years. Prior to that, I probably tried a dozen different guns, including several P-guns. The Krieghoff has taken me from B class to AA in 18 months. It closes like a vault and has the best trigger I have ever shot. (Do NOT underestimate the value of a great trigger). Also, it is so nice to be able to meet with Krieghoff techs at the larger shoots to have any questions answered and an annual done. At the Ohio State shoot, I dropped my gun off at Krieghoff in the afternoon to have the release trigger timing adjusted, and they took care of that as well as a full annual, returning the gun the next morning at 8:00 a.m. Hard to place a value on no shipping, no down time, face-to-face with the 'smith, etc.

Now, as for this whole "cocking lever" thing, I gotta say I just don't understand. I'll never be confused with Charles Atlas, but I have no problem opening the gun with my thumb. In fact, I never even think about it. No issues even on 300-400 bird days. Yet, I STILL hear about these "cocking lever" issues. Now, I will say that I converted the gun from eject to extract, so I don't have to catch shells. But again, simply no issue.

I think, hands down, these guns are the best deal on the market. Hopefully, no one will agree with me until I have a chance to pick up a couple more for my boys.

Paul

·
Registered
6,210 Posts
Gary,I shot a KS-5 for 12 years. And yes they are a very good shooting gun. The part I did not like was when halfway through a 100 bird event the gun would not open up. No way,no how. We ended up having to take the stock off to get it open. I didn`t take it apart. A friend did. I can`t remember what broke but he fixed it. He made a part for it. They all break at one point sometime. Thank god for backup guns.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I shot mdl. twelves most of my life. Had a beretta, BT-99, ljutic. I always went back to the MDL. 12. I bought a KX-5 and absolutely love it. Beautiful trigger. Great dealing with kreighoff. I have carpal tunnel bad but cocking the hammer with the lever is a non issue with me. I don't even realize that I'm doing it. My model 12's aren't for sale but the KX-5 is the gun that I like the best. RICK

·
Administrator
8,524 Posts
Hey there Rick, Im glad you are liking the KX-5,I just got my KS-5 back today and everything is right back where it should be.The trigger is excellent and at this point I will probably order the extra BL. hangars that I need which would be the 0 and the 1 unless there is someone here watching this thread that is interested in selling used ones they might have.Im looking forward to getting out an shooting it now that it is up to spec. George

·
Registered
157 Posts
BeerKing: I am in the market for a KS-5 or KX-5. I am a lefty, so that eliminates the right handed palm swells. Does this club, that you mentioned, have these shotguns for sale? Thank You, Tom

·
Banned
9,042 Posts
The standard Krieghoff KS-5 stock is ambidextrous. It has a palm swell on both sides. Although, not as much a some would prefer.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
George MT., Just wanted to let you know you can send the barrel to Kreighoff and they will convert the rib to the adjustable for right around $300. The barrel hangers are easy to change, but converting to the adjustable make's it super easy, not very expensive and I think adds a lot of value. Just want you to be aware that option is out there.

Bryce

1 - 20 of 30 Posts