Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just purchased a KS-5 and would like to know what I need to turn it into a release trigger? I was told there is a part that needs to be purchased to allow this alteration. Can anyone tell me what that part would be and where I can purchase one? and also is it something I can install myself or will a gunsmith need to do the work to get the proper set and release weight's? and could someone knowledgeable of these guns tell me what the choke numbers designate? I believe I have a three, four, and five choke tube. Thanks and any and all info will be as always greatly appreciated.

·
Banned
9,042 Posts
These guns are very simple, but very effective design for a pull trigger. The release trigger is not a real accurate arrangement as far as poundage measurement goes. You can adjust the speed, or travel somewhat, but the pound measurements may not be consistent, because you are in affect relying on the main spring for pressure.

I don't recommend you do this yourself, but if you are mechanically inclined, and feel the need to try, I recommend you take the stock off and you will see how it all works. Some fitting of the part is required, at times. If you try to do this yourself, leave the stock off, and operate the action and trigger while looking at how each adjustment affects the sequence.

First picture is the hook. There are two different hooks depending on the set screws in the trigger. The trigger with two set screws requires the hook with no adjusting set screws. That is what the extra set screw is for (Front). Trigger with one set screw, requires the hook with the set screws (Pictured). This piece fits down inside the middle of the trigger, and is secured with the trigger pin. The set screw is for adjusting the travel of the hook.

The set screw that adjusts the hook movement forward and back, needs to be balanced with the set screw that adjusts creep in the trigger (Rear). The trigger sear engagement needs allot of creep, in order for the hook to move forward enough to catch the hammer. The next three pictures show the sequence. First of them shows the sear engaged to the hammer, with plenty of creep. Second shows the hook engaged on the hammer, but released from the sear. The last is the release, and the hammer striking the firing pin.

It is a fine line. If the hook is to far forward, you will not be able to open the receiver, because the hammer will hit the hook, and not allow it to pass far enough to engage the sear. The hammer is cocked by moving the top lever. If the sear engagement is set to crisp, the hook will not travel far enough forward to engage the hammer before the sear releases the hammer.

KS-5 hook release 021.jpg
KS-5 hook release 014.jpg
KS-5 hook release 015.jpg
KS-5 hook release 016.jpg

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Stl Flyn, I think I'll take it to a gunsmith once I get the parts. Thanks for the link as well.

·
Banned
908 Posts
I can't understand why a novice would even contemplate doing something so critical
And potentially dangerous.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I ordered a new one from Bob Schultz just to make sure I'm getting an unaltered hook. He claims it's a easy install, we'll see, might take it to a gunsmith anyway.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts