Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Banned
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My local gun store has a neat gun on the rack. It is a Krieghoff Model 32 serial number is 5279. The gun has 26" barrels and fixed chokes (marked "S" which I assume is skeet). He says that it has a set of Briley sub gage tubes as well. He is asking $2k for the gun and tubes. The wood shows it age but no cracks that I can see. Is this a good value or too much. I would be interested in just as an occasional shooter at the range. Thoughts?

·
Premium Member
433 Posts
I think it would depend on what type of shooting. I have a 32 and it is a great dependable gun. The price seems fair it depends on condition, This is just my opinion.

·
Registered
456 Posts
The price sounds fair. The receiver and fore end iron are worth about $1000.00-$1500.00 (condition pending). So if you didn't want the 26'' barrels and tubes you can sell them off and find a set of model 32 o/u or top single (harder to find) and make it a trap gun.
Of course you would have to change the stock to a trap stock but remember K80 barrels and stocks can be fitted to the model 32 frame so it is a good building foundation....Hope this helps.

·
Registered
10,877 Posts
You have a very old skeet gun there. Its impossible to sell the old 26 inch fixed choked barrels today. So you should be able to get this gun below normal value.
1) I would check to see if the sub-gauge tubes have all the ejectors for each tube. And that they all working and are not damaged.
2) check to see if its a old M-32 or the newer M-32? I believe skeet_man said to check the barrel selector in the trigger. If it has the lever that move from side to side its OK. If the barrel selector has a button in the trigger its the old model 32 that parts are no longer available for. So you may not want to buy the old style M-32 for any price???

The sub-gauge tubes for this shotgun will have fixed chokes for skeet as well. If you really want this shotgun. Try to get him to come down a bit more in price. His asking price of 2 grand is what my blue says the gun should be worth with the tubes. IMO you can get it for less, since the barrel has a almost worthless resale value. Then I would send the shotgun off to a repair center for a annual. Any Krieghoff dealer should work. If I were you though, I would talk to Kelsey the gunsmith at Jacksonville Clay Target Sports in Florida. She is Tim Wards daughter (Tim is one of Krieghoffs top gunsmiths) and she works on M-32's quite often in her shop. Tim Ward was working out of this shop until he left full time to go to Dupont a handful of years ago. You can call Kelsey directly if you like. Her # is on Jacksonville's website. Under membership prices at the bottom of the page. I don't want to place her number on this tread for obvious reasons. I hope this helps you out.

PS For the rest of you out there. Kelsey works on many other make and model shotguns as well. She has worked on my Browning's as well. Her prices are fair, she is honest, and she does top notch work. Good Luck to Ya. break em all jeff

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
Sounds like a really good deal to me. Resale on 26” barrels isn’t great, but I wouldn’t say it’s nothing. Someone might want them for hunting or a youth gun. Or you might decide you’re fine shooting shorter barrels. Check and see what kind of Briley tubes. Matched weight set with fixed chokes or Ultralites with removable chokes? (Latter are more desirable.)

·
Registered
10,877 Posts
Resale on 26” barrels isn’t great, but I wouldn’t say it’s nothing. Someone might want them for hunting or a youth gun.
The 26 inch barrels are basically worthless. Except the the shooter that wants them. Try to sell just the barrels and tube set together!!! These old sub-gauge tubes are near worthless as well. If something breaks your ship out of luck. Every company who made them is gone, except Briley. Who may not have made them to start with? They can't be repaired in most cases. You can't hunt or shoot trap or Sporting clays with the barrels as well. They have fixed skeet chokes remember. If you mess with the chokes you can't use the sub-gauge tube set anymore. They have been fitted to the end of the barrel. So what you have is little more than a receiver that you don't have any idea what work needs to be done to it. So paying more is a gamble IMO. Now if our OP wants and likes the 26 inch barrels thats fine. But IMO he can use this to get the price down at the gun shop. It does not hurt to try. It will not be selling anytime soon.

I see lots of the old M-32's at Jacksonvilles big shoots. These shotguns are very popular there and Kelsey takes care of many of them, I'm sure. Jacksonville has a junior shooting team. There are many other juniors shooting teams & universities that come to this shoot as well. There is a huge number of kids at the Krieghoff Masters shoot as well. So much so now that they have moved the 12 ga. to Saturdays (instead of the first day on Thursday) to let the kids shoot. Which IMO is a very big deal. Since this shoot used to be the 3rd largest skeet shoot in the world. It lost some of its rankings because of the poor clay target machines they bought. But I expect this shoot to be back to the 3rd spot quickly now that they bought all new machines there. Anyway, Lots of these kids are shooting the older M-32's with 28 inch barrels. I don't even see the smaller young lady's using the 26 inch barrels. So IMO they are a extremely hard sell. If you don't believe me. PM Skeet_man and ask him. He is a gun dealer who buys and sells guns all day long. break em all Jeff

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
As others have said you are basically buying the iron. The serial number is high enough the trigger should not be a problem. I recently was looking for a set of 32 iron, finally found some had been recently serviced. Gave over $1800.00 for it. I am having double releases installed as a backup if needed. You should be able to build you a really nice gun and have about $3500.00 when completed. It will last you a lifetime if taken care of. The current barrel and tube will be lucky to bring 800.00 however you may go back and check this site just last month someone was looking for a set of 26" barrels, you could get lucky. At that price Unless it is really rough I don't think you could loose anything.

Buster

·
Registered
31,751 Posts
As others have said you are basically buying the iron. The serial number is high enough the trigger should not be a problem. I recently was looking for a set of 32 iron, finally found some had been recently serviced. Gave over $1800.00 for it. I am having double releases installed as a backup if needed. You should be able to build you a really nice gun and have about $3500.00 when completed. It will last you a lifetime if taken care of. The current barrel and tube will be lucky to bring 800.00 however you may go back and check this site just last month someone was looking for a set of 26" barrels, you could get lucky. At that price Unless it is really rough I don't think you could loose anything.

Buster
Where is the serial number line for most desirable 32’s ???

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
They claim over 3000, I don't agree, but that late of serial number will have a Krieghoff trigger. Early models have Remington triggers. However I have seen some very early 32's with K triggers, also I never had any problems with Remington triggers. Sometimes I think these early serial number rumors started as a sales pitch. I have never seen a model 32 blow up and now a lot of these guns are over 60 years old and were made when shooters shot a lot hotter loads than we do today. I have seen and heard of many K80's which have blown. So which is best?

Buster

·
Registered
31,751 Posts
Thank you for your reply. I think the only way I will have a K gun is to buy R&I and build one. Wife does not want me buying a new one. I could, but want to keep the peace. Being a lefty, most complete guns I ask about are for right handed people. Being ignorant about 32’s and K80’s and which to buy, I want to tread carefully.

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Rick I am also left handed. I also built my. Krieghoff from a model 32 receiver. You can see it on this site, Omega is finished. It really turned out nice, and I had a lot of fun finding barrels, grip caps etc. If you take your time you can build one at a reasonable price. I probably have to much in this gun, but it is my last competition gun so I wanted to get it finished quickly so I could enjoy it. Sometime if you would like to contact me and visit about k guns, pm me and I will give you my phone number.

Buster

·
Registered
31,751 Posts
Rick I am also left handed. I also built my. Krieghoff from a model 32 receiver. You can see it on this site, Omega is finished. It really turned out nice, and I had a lot of fun finding barrels, grip caps etc. If you take your time you can build one at a reasonable price. I probably have to much in this gun, but it is my last competition gun so I wanted to get it finished quickly so I could enjoy it. Sometime if you would like to contact me and visit about k guns, pm me and I will give you my phone number.

Buster
Thanks will keep your offer of help in mind.

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
I'm a lefty too! I'm mostly in to Perazzis, but I just picked up a Model 32 too, mostly out of curiosity, and partly to maybe get something for one of my kids to shoot when they're older. I've got a PFS stock I've been planning on using on it in the meantime.

·
Banned
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for all the input. I think that I am going to pass on the deal, I like a longer barrel and I am concerned that I will need to spend money to get it into something more desirable. If anyone wants it, it is at S&R guns in Cookeville, TN. They are great guys and I am sure that they would be happy to sell it.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts