Trapshooters Forum banner

Krieghoff Logo k-80

4670 Views 24 Replies 19 Participants Last post by  MCTS
Hello

I’m brand new to the forum but been reading and researching on the forum as much as I can. For full disclosure, I do shoot trap and skeet but mostly enjoy sporting clays.

So I have found what appears to be a decent deal on a krieghoff k80 logo action. It has skeet wood and 28” barrels. I’m considering buying it and keeping the action and replacing the stock and barrels as time and money allow.

So I’ve been reading and researching and found that most people like the actions. I’m curious if I need to upgrade it to new parts of anyone has done this and appr what it cost. No one will give me a quote or even a ballpark until they’ve seen it. The seller says nothing has been updated but the trigger, don’t really understand from my research what needs updated with the trigger?

The k80 logo action was recommended to me by a local competitor and I’ve read mostly good reports online but did talk to one dealer that said it was basically a k32? I’m looking for something to compete with for the next umpteen years. I currently shoot a CG Summit sporting with 34” barrels. I have fired a grand total of 2 shots through a k80! By the guy who was competing with one and recommended the logo action.

Sorry for the long first post but even buying used it is a lot of money and I’m trying to justify it to myself.

Thanks
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

· Registered
1,906 Posts
You bought a great gun that will last several lifetimes.

As far as updates, maybe the coil sear spring update, and the large axel update.

Any K-80 service guy can check it out and let you know.

Might also consider a annual service to have a starting point with your new gun

Best of luck with your K-80.

· Registered
36,825 Posts
Post #2 is from a well known person in the gunsmith craft. You can take his word as excellant advice.

· Registered
1,784 Posts
Just to be perfectly clear, the K80 logo gun is a full-fledged Krieghoff K80. It's an engraving style availabile during the early years of the K80, and is often priced somewhat lower than other styles. It is not a Krieghoff Model 32.
I have one made in 1988, and two later K80's. Any early K80 may or may not have later updates, but they can always be added. My logo gun is marked "Shotguns of Ulm":

Krieghoff offers a current version:

· Registered
36,825 Posts
You should make use of the search feature here. Little tricky to learn, but you can find years of posts about K32’s, K80’s, triggers, barrels, hangers, wood and upgrades. A Kreighoff K receivers the heart and soul of the brand. There are many variations of engraving which blow ones mind in pricing. DuPont has one priced at $175,000.00.

You can find all you want to know about barrels, wood, and other things at Kreighoff or DuPont Kreighoff.

To find past posts here, go to the search feature at the top of the forum.

Click on Advanced Search

Type in subject matter, be brief. example K80 trigger, K80 barrel, K80 receive, etc.

Enter dates. You can touch date boxes and hot arrows to backup start date. Enter end date in second box same way. Easy way is to type in dates. Type in year followed by month and day with hyphens in between, such as: From 2010-02-01. To 2020 08-27

You can search all forums but should probably limit to shooting and gun smithing forums.

Enter

· Registered
40 Posts
Love my 1990 K80 logo bought as a backup to my Kolar now I shoot it better then the Kolar . Have to admit it was fun to build , bought the receiver from one guy , the barrel and tube set from another and finished it off with nice set of wood that I stripped and did an oil finish …. Was a fun winter project !

· Registered
13,510 Posts
If you like the shotgun and it fits you well, right from the git-go??? Buy the shotgun!!! You will never regret it. Re-read post #2. He is right on about everything!!!! I would just shoot the gun for a few weeks or so. If you want to keep it? Then pay the $350 and have what Krieghoff calls their Annual Service. They will replace all springs and firing pins. They totally remove all parts and clean them. Then inspect each part and re-assemble all the parts. They will re-grease all parts that need greasing as well. If any part is worn out, or needs to be replaced for any reason, they will let you know. Many of the internal parts are covered with a lifetime warranty. If you want to up-date your older logo receiver, to the current receiver design? Its best to do this when you have your Annual done!!! You don't have to pay for labor this way. Only have to pay for the up-graded parts. Since the gun will be completely broken down and taken apart for the Annual.
I think your skeet wood would work just fine with a newer sporting clay standard rib barrel of current design. Then you would have removeable chokes for any sporting clay range you shoot. Just keep your eyes open for a good deal on a good used set of 32 inch O/U standard tapered rib barrels. The new barrels have the 10-6mm tapered ribs. The older barrels have a 12-8mm tapered ribs. The older ones are worth less money and should come with steel chokes. Again worth less money. So you can pick up the older barrels for less. Good Luck on your Journey into the clay target sports. break em all Jeff

· Registered
2,222 Posts
Early K80 receivers were internally almost identical to Model 32 receivers. Later K80s received some updates, most notably a conversion from clothespin-style sear springs to coil sear springs. The coil springs are supposed to be more durable, but the earlier clothespin-style look a lot easier to replace if you ever have to. It might be a nice to have, but personally, I wouldn't pay big money to update the sear springs.

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
So, first off thank you all very much for the quick replies and the first hand experience. I don’t have the K-80 yet wanted to do some research and ask around before I dropped the money.

I definitely intend to have someone do the annual service. Does Krieghoff have to do that or can an authorized service center do that? If I have the service done I’d like to make the upgrades mentioned at that point.

I know the K-80 won’t instantly make me a better shooter. I’ve always drooled over them and figure I will end up with one eventually so I’d like to start working with it now and just not have to keep upgrading/changing over time. If I only had the guns I needed I wouldn’t have many at all! Thank god I can own the ones I want too.

I really appreciate the help I’m very new to higher grade guns and don’t want to make a costly mistake. I’ve been shooting sporting for a long time and have worked through a lot of different semi autos and a few over/under trying to find what I like.

· Registered
36,825 Posts
Seems like Harlen's K-80 and Richard Marshall"s K- 80s out shoot a lot of CGs----LOl
Friend of mine has 3 Kreighoffs, one TriStar combo, one CG Combo, one Ljutic. Sold his Afermann. Getting ready to sell the CG. Loves his Bavaria grade, TriStar a Dynokic in that order.

· Registered
775 Posts
Call Krieghoff in PA with the serial number and they will be able to tell you year it was manufactured and any work they have performed on the gun. Also if you want piece of mind send it to them and have them look it over and see if there's any service that they recommend. Great gun and congratulations.

· Registered
13,510 Posts
Does Krieghoff have to do that or can an authorized service center do that?
You can google Krieghoff International and get on their website. They have a list of all their K-gun dealers. You can pick the dealer closest to your location. Call them and talk to their gunsmith if you like. If you have to ship your shotgun to a dealer because of distance? You may want to just ship it to Tim Ward @ Dupont Krieghoff in Vero Beach, Fl. They are the largest K-gun dealer, and you will have to search long and hard to find a better gunsmith for your Krieghoff!!! You can give Dupont a call as well if you like. Talk to Leslie and/or Tim. Now you can get your info strait from the horses mouth as it were. As too should I get the up-grade for my logo gun, or should you keep your logo gun the older design? Not hear say from this guy or that guy. Good Luck and don't forget to break em all jeff

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.