Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This old geezers shooting shoulder aches all the time. Has anyone heard of putting a 20ga tube in a trapgun to relieve some recoil? If so who did the work? Any photos?

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's a great idea except I quit reloading a few years back. I do have a shooting buddy who does just that. I have shot his loads and the recoil is very light.

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
I never had one in a KX 5 but in a K80 and used it on the first shot in doubles . The ATA says NO to that now . Give KOLAR a call and I'm sure they can make it for you

·
Registered
421 Posts
If my memory is correct the first full length subgauge tubes were made by Claude Purbaugh to reduce recoil when he was shooting trap back in the 60's or 70's. Purbaugh was the first commercial producer of sub gauge tubes, eventually transitioned to Skeetmaster . Kolar and Briley followed with tubes with chambers with integral extractors, I bought my first set of Briley 20, 28 ga. and 410 bore sub gauge tubes in 1985 for $696.00 delivered. A company in WI named ESP made subgauge tubes for a short time, I don't know how the timing of the Savage short tubes fit in the timeline.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the feedback you guys. I gave Briley a call. They were so easy to talk to that I ordered an improved modified tube for my KX5. It's on its way.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Thanks for the feedback you guys. I gave Briley a call. They were so easy to talk to that I ordered an improved modified tube for my KX5. It's on its way.
Was it a drop in tube? What did they charge you for the one tube.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I guess it is your standard 32" 20ga tube @ $369. Just like the "old days" ...... minus the other 5 tubes that is.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Got the tube and installed it. Then went to buy some bullets. Maybe I made the right move this time cause there wasn't a 12ga of any sort in sight but there were 2oga on the shelf. Next stop...pattern board to see where this rascal shoots. That is once things loosen up again.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Got the tube and installed it. Then went to buy some bullets. Maybe I made the right move this time cause there wasn't a 12ga of any sort in sight but there were 2oga on the shelf. Next stop...pattern board to see where this rascal shoots. That is once things loosen up again.
I'll be very curious how the pattern board results show up with the new 20g tube, as I have a KS5-Special!

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well they opened the range at DMAFB today. I took this Krieghoff with the 20ga Briley tube to see where it shot. Good news, shoots 90/10 just as it does sans the tube. I'm pleased with the low recoil. Shot a 23 first time around. I'll see she gets some more exercise this weekend. Feels good to shoot again.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts