Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m interested to know when the KX-5 came out. Why exactly did they create it? (E.g. is it a response to competition?)

Does the KX name mean anything or the ‘5’?

are any parts interchangeable with K80?

·
Administrator
8,397 Posts
No parts interchangeable with a K-80.

The KX-5 was the next logical generation after the KS-5 and KS-5 specials. Rather than a pin set adjustable rib like on the early KS guns the rib on the KX-5 was dial adjustable on the front. I have owned all three and they were all enjoyable to shoot.

Im sure other owners will post as there is a lot more info out there..

·
Registered
3,557 Posts
The gun never caught on as shooters were moving to higher rib guns.
It was essentially jut a revamped KS-5.
A simple proven platform.

I think they stopped making them about 2008.

Its All good

West

·
Registered
35 Posts
If I remember correctly there was a LOT of complaints about the 5 series and cocking being done by the top lever was hurting many older gents arthritic thumbs. So now the KX6 is cocked by the opening of the barrel again. Adding a few moving parts. Tim Smith at Dupont told me he just loved the old design for simplicity less moving parts and just an all round workhorse. But I guess I am a little off subject as none of this has anything to do with the origins. Enjoy

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This is really fantastic information, I had no idea of all the changes in the series! Thanks for the contribution. I suppose there was never a KS-1, 2, 3, or 4?

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think I figured out the original name (KS-5) Krieghoff Single 1985. Not sure what the X means though in KX, maybe they just thought X was a cool letter.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Story I read years ago was that they claimed there was five moving parts in the receiver.If someone has one,please count!

·
Registered
962 Posts
I disassembled mine the other day and there certainly isn't to many moving parts in it. I was blown away with how simple it was.

·
Registered
661 Posts
For those that have owned one, how big a deal is the lever-cocking thing? (I have two bad thumbs).
Can you just open it with the base of your thumb?

·
Registered
443 Posts
I shoot one and it does have some resistance but I do not notice it especially when I'm shooting and focused.Since you have thumb issues I would definately shoot a hundred rounds with one and come to your own conclusion before purchasing one. Love the gun bought it off of George MT on this sight.

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
U might want to surch for an older post about this . I think and I said that before : The KX 5 has way better faster triggers the any K 80 and way less moving parts then the KX6

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
I had one for 3yrs. loved it but wanted a combo and sold it,one big mistake,in my second yr. I did shoot around 350 rnds. in a day but my thumb ws not to uncomfortable.At a 100 or 200 a day was nothing.

·
Registered
2,673 Posts
If I remember correctly, only offered with tubes! If fixed had been available, I would have owned one! Tom Rhoads

·
Registered
6,045 Posts
I owned one of the first KS-5s, in fact one of the 35 or 36 that had scroll engraved receivers called Scroll Arabesque grade. It had a fixed choke but tubes were available. If I have my numbers right, they listed for $5,800 and since a K-80 with one barrel wasn't "that much" more at around $7,000, they didn't sell well so Krieghoff was closing them out at the 1986 Grand for $3,600, only about $800 more than a standard grade KS-5. When I passed to to my son, I bought a KS-5 Special and later one of the first KX-5s to enter the country. All three were great shooters and the cocking via the top lever was never an issue for either of us. It did help to place your fingers on the wood alongside the lever and "squeeze" with your fingers and thumb.

Yes, the "KS-5" name did originate in "Krieghoff Single" and either the year (1985) or the number of moving parts, which was five or six with a release trigger. Interestingly, there were two screws in the trigger, one that adjusted the pull trigger sear and one for the release sear if the gun was so equipped. Krieghoff International later drilled the Allen screw heads out of the screws for liability reasons when the guns were returned to Ottsville for servicing but I could change my first KS-5 from pull to release and back again in seconds - about one full turn one way on one screw and a full turn in the opposite direction on the other screw (or something like that - it's been 30+ years).

My only complaint with either gun was the plain wood they came with. My KX-5 especially looked like oak furniture and I was fitted and picked out AAAA Exhibition-grade English Walnut blanks for a Wenig stock at the last Grand at Vandalia (it was almost as much as the gun cost!). It was a gorgeous gun and I believe someone in the western part of the country now owns it.

Ed

·
Registered
97 Posts
I have recently purchased a ks5 and really like it. Only problem is every 50 rounds or so it it hard to break open. It seem lever gets slightly Jamed

1 - 20 of 30 Posts