Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,750 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does Krieghoff make different bore size barrels like Kolar and Perazzi?

The reason I ask, today at the club, a buddy was having trouble getting his Briley tube to go in the gun. I could tell the end was just about to the choke tube, so I asked if he had changed chokes. Sure enough, he had.

But he told me he had installed some Cylinder chokes. So I figured that's not it, the cylinder should be larger than the skeet tubes that the Briley's were matched to.

In fact, it was the problem.......his Skeet chokes are larger than the Cylinder (K 00 ) marked chokes.

With choke tubes removed, the Brileys would slide easily through the Skeet choke, but not the Cylinder choke.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
There have been different bore sizes in the 70 or so years Krieghoff have been making barrels. The last 15 years or so have been pretty standard. I’ve even seen two different sized bores on each barrel of an O/U.

The bore diameter in millimeters should be stamped on the barrel.

Also keep in mind folks like Briley, Wilkinson, Eyster, etc might change the bores when they do their work.

·
Registered
3,750 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info. I don't think it was changed by Briley. His tube would easily fit through one of the chokes marked K00, but not the other. There's a difference in the chokes.

He's going to call Krieghoff tomorrow and ask them about it, maybe they will swap it out with another K00.

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
The standard bore recently, 15+ years, has been .732. Now did your friend send his barrel to Briley with two differnet chokes, one Koo and the other K0? I've never had a problem with the two sets of Briley's that I own and have always sent barrel with the K0(skeet) chokes for both barrels.

·
Registered
3,750 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
No, he sent the gun to Briley with two skeet chokes, K0.

a couple years later, Kimble sold him the two K00 chokes.
There’s no problem with the Briley’s, nor the K0 chokes.....we were just surprised to find the K00 was tighter than the K0....and only one of the K00’s.

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
Krieghoff did make two different size bores, .732 and .735. I don't recall the years and the circumstances of the models and barrels.

Reactions: bigbore613

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
There are actually 3 'commonly' seen bore sizes in the 12g, stamped in millimeters on the barrel. 18.6, 18.7, and 18.8mm. These roughly translate to .732, .736, and .740". Like all things Krieghoff, there are probably some other oddball sizes floating around out there. I believe pretty much all recently manufactured barrels have been standardized on the 18.6 unless they have been modified.

·
Registered
3,750 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
To close this......He called Dupont, whom he bought the chokes from. They acknowledged there must have been an error when the CYL choke was manufactured. He bought them used, and as they didn't have any other USED CYL chokes, they are sending him a new one. No Charge.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Holla - John Henry is talking about me and he accurately summarized everything. Big shout out to DuPont and their customer service. I bought the chokes used at a great price 2 years ago at the World at the end of the 2018 season. The chokes looked brand new and Kemble took care of me. I came home and put the gun away without using waiting for the coming year to try them out. Unfortunately I had to have a pretty extensive neck surgery/fusion early in the year and took the rest of the year off to recover. I only recently started trying to get back to business and was amazed when this happened. I put a choke gauge on the one and found that while it’s marked K00 and CYL the gauge stopped at IC. The other choke was fine.

The good part of the story is the day I called they put a brand new one in the mail. They’re awesome folks At DuPont who stand behind the Krieghoff brand.

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
FWIW, when I bought my K80 TS used of course, the o/u barrels were stamped 18.6! What concerned me is that the unsingle was stamped 18.75 mm! I could not figure out how tubes set up for 18.6 would fit properly with 18.75 bore!? When I measured all tubes, they were all the same and set up for the 18.75 bore. During the exam, I found a very important "Wilkinson" stamped on the bottom of both sets of barrels! To be sure, I took it to Krieghoff at one of the Cardinal shoots and thank God, all barrels measured ..737 which is the 18.75 mm! Tom Rhoads

1 - 11 of 11 Posts