Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have seen recievers and fore arm irons for sale for k80's. The question I wanted to ask is it hard to buy a stock and add it to the parts..do they have to be special.? Also can you buy any kreighoff barrel and just use it on the gun or does it have to be fitted to the gun. The question also if you use other gauges do you have to have them fitted.

It just seems like a fun way to build a gun with parts, has anyone ever done this or does it end up costing a lot more than just buying one all together.

·
Registered
12,479 Posts

·
Thorn in your side
8,112 Posts
Cheaper to buy a complete gun.

I just built a k80 for doubles, buying iron, a stock set and barrels. Had to have it all fitted, and the cost of parts was higher than buying a complete gun.

Had I known before I started, I would have shopped for a complete gun instead.

·
Registered
2,809 Posts
It is all what you want to make of it. If you want a standard gun most likely cheaper to buy one. If you don't care how long it takes to find all the parts at a "good deal" price. You'll save money. If you want a custom gun with a special stock or unusual barrel configurations you may do well with making one up.

·
Registered
Ktieghoff K-80 super sport one plantation, one gold super scrol
291 Posts
have changed barrels on a number of R & I only had problem with forearm needed minor filing on back of barrel tang filling on back of it so it clears when closing. barrel to receiver I use clay to see head space!!

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
A majority of the time the barrels need to be fitted to the receiver.
The Swanny is correct. Or, at least the barrels should be fitted. When you see things such as a gap between the fore-end iron and the receiver, the barrel is not fitted correctly. The result will be excess wear, whether the gun functions properly or not.
When I add a barrel I always have it checked for fit by a smith well versed in Kriggy's. Many times no real work is needed. Other times......... yeah, it is. I like the assurance of knowing everything is rubbing together like it should. I've paid as little as $45 to have a barrel checked/fitted. Never much more than that. "Pay me now, or pay me later".

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
An entire gun is usually cheaper *IF* it is set up exactly as you want it. The reason the individual components sell for more -- and why sellers break a gun up to sell individually -- is that one can then assemble the exact receiver/stock/barrel combo's they want for usually less money and most certainly significantly less wait time than trying to buy that gun combo new. Add to that none of the the factory stock profiles work well for many shooters, so they need to get custom wood made anyway, and so buying a barrel and receiver and then adding their own fitted wood is a net savings.

Note there are at least 25 different factory engraving patterns/color-combos for the receivers, 6 or 8 different factory butt-stocks, 4 or so different fore-ends, 6 or 8 grades of factory wood, and at least 20 different barrel options from 26" to 34", singles, O/U's or Parcours, Choke-Tube v fixed v thinwalled, step v flat v adj trap, v adj pro, and then thin or wide straight and thin or wide tapered fixed-rib styles. IDK know how that multiplies out, but it's got to be several thousand different combo options. And outside the standard grade K80, probably why almost anything above standard engraved you see is pretty much a one-of-a-kind K80...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts