Trapshooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

· Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Saw this in a recent post by a well-known member here:

“We take chances every day standing next to the guy shooting a shotgun with factory shells. Some one experimenting with reloading increases the odds of that Kreighoff or Perazzi blowing up.”

Would be interested in any anecdotes regarding Krieghoffs or Perazzis (or any other trap guns) actually blowing up on the line as the result of experimental or bad reloads.

Thanks.

· Registered
36,855 Posts
I thought it was Kreighoffs. How did Perazzis get dragged into it?
I had a shooting acquaintance, member of our club, now passed, who blew up his MX8. Unknown if it was his reloads or metal fatigue, After a reloading session, he was missing one primer. He ended up with 99 loaded shells. He said he believed he dropped a primer in his powder charge and that caused the blowup. Remember that @flashmax?

· Premium Member
30,370 Posts
I had a shooting acquaintance, member of our club, now passed, who blew up his MX8. Unknown if it was his reloads or metal fatigue, After a reloading session, he was missing one primer. He ended up with 99 loaded shells. He said he believed he dropped a primer in his powder charge and that caused the blowup. Remember that @flashmax?
Yep.

· Premium Member
30,370 Posts
Gale was one hell of a trapshooter, miss him dearly.
I was running a rollcall of passed shooters I know of a while back and they pretty much all are missed for one reason or another. They all had something notable about them.

Reactions: WadHopper

· Registered
5,326 Posts
You have more chance of being struck by a meteorite than of being injured by someone's gun self-destructing.

I've seen and heard PLENTY of blowups, bulged pistol barrels,autos disassembling themselves, etc etc. The worst injury is suffered as the author of the misfortune is mercilessly teased about it for the next few decades.

· Registered
192 Posts
A guy at our club blew side out of a beretta no fault of ammo cristlized metal. beretta still has his barrel for a year not no like the will see one any time soon. Beretta admitted they had a problem with quite a number of guns but no one has got a new barrel. Once they have your barrel you not going to have much luck with law suit.

· Registered
K80
220 Posts
I have personally been next to 2 REM 1100’s that self destructed. Unknown as to why. Also had my own 1911/45 split the barrel, which was repaired. Then a couple of years latter it fired out of battery. This was a combat match gun, highly modified, and shot a lot. The frame was cracked which led to out of battery. Gun was stripped of parts and cut up. No fault of Colt.

· Registered
2,067 Posts
You have more chance of being struck by a meteorite than of being injured by someone's gun self-destructing.
I know of one shooter who will argue that statement is false. He was struck in the head by a chunk of metal from a Citori that blew up, with poor reloads being the cause of the explosion.
But, now that I think about it, he's still above ground, so I guess there's still a chance he may be hit by a meteorite or two.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.