Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Going to call Kolar tomorrow, but maybe someone can help me now.
I shoot a combo, the O/U barrels eject both hulls 6' over my shoulder.
My top single will only extract my hulls but not eject.
From looking at both barrels and ejectors I see no difference.
Did I push a button, or turn a screw someplace that I'm not aware off ?

·
Registered
607 Posts
There is no screw or button to turn off/on the ejection function. You can remove the ejector "tell tail" rods out of the receiver to make it just extract. I suspect there is some wear on the rod end where the 90* bend is. You can remove it and bend it at the receiver end to lengthen it slightly. Call Keith in the am, he has been very helpful whenever I've had questions. Good luck.

·
Registered
951 Posts
Have you checked the ejector spring? How about the tube it runs in. Any rust on the spring. Is the spring weak? There are a lot of things that can cause that.

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
If the o/u barrels eject it's got to be the ejector on the singles barrel. Remove, clean and inspect it to make sure it's not binding or has a weak/broken spring, or that the ejector rod isn't broken. (this is not uncommon). You can remove the ejector from the top barrel of your doubles set, swap them & see if that works in your top singles barrel. Actually, in my opinion, it's a blessing, 'cause I'm one who keeps my empties.

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well it's definitely the extractor its self. I changed out the extractor with the one on the O/U, worked perfect, then I switched springs to see if they made a difference, no change, placed the non working extractor in the O/U and it did not work there either.
Then replaced it with an extractor from my new Kolar, this worked also
I placed them side by side and could not see anything different, so it must be some small tolerance difference caused by wear.
Need to call Kolar to see if I can order one or if it has to be fitted.
I see each extractor is numbered to match the SN of the gun, but the extractor from my new Kolar (2015) fit and worked perfectly in my old Kolar (2003)

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
For the most part they are interchangeable, but Kolar will insist that you send it in for repair. You'll have it back in a week.

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
Mine started to do that and the extractor broke Sunday. I'm on my way to Kolar this morning
Well it's definitely the extractor its self. I changed out the extractor with the one on the O/U, worked perfect, then I switched springs to see if they made a difference, no change, placed the non working extractor in the O/U and it did not work there either.
Then replaced it with an extractor from my new Kolar, this worked also.
Well, this is certainly not the sort of thing I like to hear.

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Rebel, This Kolar is going on 14 years old. In the time I've had it I've received two ATA Certificates for shooting 25,000 rounds in both singles and cap's. with this barrel.
That's 50,000 alone, triple that with practice and it's at or over 150K
If the extractor has worn a few thousands of an inch off some point of contact that makes it not work I have no problem with that, gun still functions except I have to pull the hull out, vs having it eject. Seeing as I save all my STS, it's not a big deal, vs. having to catch them, it's a machine, small parts wear out.
As for as sending it back to the factory that's a non problem, should have it back in a week. Great gun, great service.

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
Exactly, jmbi! Mine went at ~100k and after making the repair (they sent the part, gratis), I removed the acquuater rods, extract those valuable STS hulls & drop 'em in my shell bag, reloading 20K a year.

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
Had a similar problem with my first Kolar (low rib way back when) and a phone call to Kolar solved the problem. Keith, over the phone, talked me through disassembly and a easy fix (Alzheimers - forgot what it was...). In any event, you should have an "annual" done once in a while and they will go through everything including timing the ejectors. It will look and feel new when its returned.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts