Trapshooters Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First off I'm a noob on things Kolar. A friend purchased a Kolar trap combo, he doesn't shoot Trap doubles, the fixed rib O/U barrels pattern about 90/10 at 23 yards. He is wanting to use the O/U barrels for sporting clays/skeet and would like 50/50 or 60/40 poi out of both barrels, The barrels are equipped with a #2 barrel hanger. Question: what would be a more appropriate hanger and would this also require changing the spacer between he barrels also.

· Registered
63 Posts
First off I'm a noob on things Kolar. A friend purchased a Kolar trap combo, he doesn't shoot Trap doubles, the fixed rib O/U barrels pattern about 90/10 at 23 yards. He is wanting to use the O/U barrels for sporting clays/skeet and would like 50/50 or 60/40 poi out of both barrels, The barrels are equipped with a #2 barrel hanger. Question: what would be a more appropriate hanger and would this also require changing the spacer between he barrels also.
The front barrel hanger primarily influences the POI of the bottom barrel. The smaller the number on the hanger the higher the lower barrel will shoot. With a number 2, you have a fairly high shooter. Kolar makes numerous hangers to lower you POI. Perhaps a number 4 or 5 will do the trick. The problem is the top barrel. Although the center spacer can influence the top barrel POI, the adjustments are severely limited.
My guess is that you will not get the top barrel to get to a flat pattern (50/50) without replacing the top rib. Of course Kolar will have the answer. I have owned 5 Kolars, fixed ribs, adjustable ribs in both 740 and 750 bores. I flirted with the exact opposite situation. That is, trying to get both barrels to shoot higher. Which by the way, is much easier than your situation. Good luck.

· Registered
63 Posts
My friend recently bought a Kolar combo and was having similar issues. The O/U had one barrel shooting @ 100% while the other was 60/40. Unsingle rib was adjusted all the way “down” and still was at about 90/10. He sent it back to Kolar and they sorted it for him. Changed the hangers on the O/U. Not sure what they did with the unsingle.

· Registered
1,071 Posts
My friend recently bought a Kolar combo and was having similar issues. The O/U had one barrel shooting @ 100% while the other was 60/40. Unsingle rib was adjusted all the way “down” and still was at about 90/10. He sent it back to Kolar and they sorted it for him. Changed the hangers on the O/U. Not sure what they did with the unsingle.
It depends your meaning of "down."
Moving the rib so it is closer to the barrel (down?) for a given consistent sight picture will raise the point of impact.
Conversely, increasing the distance between the rib and the barrel, again for the same sight picture over the rib will lower the point of impact.

· Registered
3,105 Posts
I had a Kolar combo, the O/U set had a #1 hanger, I swapped it out for a #3 and used it on Clays. Shot it lights out, won several shoots so I decided to trade it in on a high grade ($19K) Sporter. Couldn't hit a bull in the ass with the new gun, so I sold it, less than 1K shells through it. Only lost 25%. Back to my 303's.

Pat

· Registered
1,491 Posts
Kolars also have a mid barrel shim that can be changed to affect POI of the top barrel of a O/U. Then because the top barrel has been moved, the POI of the under barrel also changes so a hanger. change might be needed. Best to tell Kolar what you want and sent it back to them.

· Registered
3,085 Posts
Like Dave mentioned there are two hangers on kolar barrels, the mid hanger and the front hanger.
Call Cody/gunsmith at Kolar and explain what you are trying to do and they'll suggest which hangers you should change to.

· Registered
4,491 Posts
Not once in this thread is it asked, "How much rib is he seeing?" or "How much space is between the two beads?" ....those would have been my first questions.

Might be a simple lowering of the comb is needed, but everyone went straight to changing the hangers and adjusting the rib.........

· Registered
397 Posts
The top barrel is pretty ridged with the fixed rib soldered on and is not going to change much. You might get a little by lowering your comb if possible. However, using a number 4,5, or 6 front hanger should substantially lower the poi of the bottom barrel. You received good information on above post number 5.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.