Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Banned
16,308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Considering getting a 28 gauge tube set done on my over under. Pro and cons on both companies?

·
Registered
4,278 Posts
Good question Remdog. I was thinking of 28ga into an old 16ga Fox. Never thought about Kolar, I guess Briley's the more familiar name, at least to me. I guess there's two of us curious now. :)

·
Banned
890 Posts
Both are excellent products. Some claim Briley has the best customer service. I wouldn't know. I used Kolar tubes for over thirty years and never had the need for Kolar customer service. It seems to me that if any company can stay in business that long they have something going for them. JMHO

·
Registered
526 Posts
Hello, I have owned both , cracked chambers (20a.) in both. I would go who has the better price. One thing to remember is if you want extra chokes, price them out also as Kolar is more costly. Mike

·
Registered
258 Posts
A good friend of mine just had his new DT-11 tubed in all three gauges by Briley. Not a good experience at all. He had to send the gun back a second time because the second barrel was not going off. Before he sent it back, the guy at Briley told him he needed to slam the gun harder when shutting it. Then they told him they don't convert the DT triggers to mechanical, only lighten up the inertial part of the trigger to reset for the .410. They obviously didn't test fire the gun before sending it to him the first time, because the problem was quite obvious from the get-go. When my friend talked to one of the technicians, the guy told him what a "pain the the a$$ it is working on those guinea guns." I could not believe his experience. I have had two guns with Briley tubes, and personally, I think they can be a bit too finicky if the brass isn't resized perfectly when shooting reloads. I'm currently shooting a Kolar gun with Kolar tubes, and I really like the way they go in and the way they pattern. They also don't curl/peel back the brass on my reloads the way the Briley tubes did. I had to send my gun back to Kolar for some firing pin issues, and they turned it around and back out of their door to me in 6 hours! Now that is what I call customer service.

461 Posts
28 gauge only? Think about the Briley companions tubes. You save $100, the gun stays home (and you save the shipping cost to Texas), and you can easily sell the tubes when you tire of them. O/U triggers USUALLY don't have to be modified to work with 28 gauge.

·
Registered
10,446 Posts
If you shoot the 28 occasionally, try the Briley Companion tubes. If you are going to shoot it regularly, by all means get the Briley Ultimate Ultralite tubeset.

Some guns are not converted to mechanical, but do have larger trigger blocks (inertia block) installed, depending on the design of the trigger group.

I have had better customer service and warranty resolution with Briley. If warranty issues are not properly addressed, a lower cost is a moot point.

(HINT!) You will likely shoot the 28 a lot, so go for the Briley fitted Ultimate set. You only buy them once, no charge for warranty repair, if needed, better choke system, free swap outs on chokes.

Depending on the gun, you may need the trigger work.

·
Registered
454 Posts
I've had both. Still have Kolars. Briley will sell you chokes cheaper, swap, etc. May take 1-2 weeks to get the choke in hand. Kolar you pay for the choke it shows up in a day or two. I've had Jeff at Kolar return my calls after hours.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
If your only doing the one gauge buy Briley Companion tubes for all the above mentioned reasons, I have had service work done by both Kolar and Briley and both do good work. I will say from experience if you need extra chokes or have to replace an extractor Briley is much less expensive. I have had one Kolar 20 ga chamber crack and was replaced at no charge and I understand Briley also does this.

·
Registered
4,278 Posts
Thanks guys, I have companion tubes. Can someone loan me heavier hammer? I need to beat them in another inch. :( Those old guns have some strange dimensions I guess. I have had good service from Briley in the past, why change now. Thank you for the input.

·
Registered
736 Posts
If you go with Kolar be sure to ask about the forcing cone work . They told me they had to grind out the forcing cone when they fit tubes. I asked twice just to be sure and they said yes, it was required. Aside from that I have found no significant difference.

·
Registered
11,122 Posts
Yes, Kolar "has too" grind down the forcing cones to install there tube sets on your existing guns barrel!!! (1st reason I did not use them, denying "some" claims was the other)

No, From what I've "Heard" Kolar does not have extended chokes. Briley does

Just about everyone I asked told me they paid more for this or that from Kolar, and that Briley's warrenty was better as well. This is based on past experiences with long time Skeet shooters at Markham Park and Miami's Trail Glades as well. Not sure if that's changed much in recent years.

Yes, I did use Briley to tube my O/U. Yes, I did have a small problem with the bottom barrel of my 28 ga. tubes fitting properly. I sent it back on my dime and they fixed it with no problems (they shipped back). Yes, I would recommend them and use them again. break em all. Jeff

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
I have both, one set in a K80 and another in a Kolar guy. In the past I had a 682 greystone with Briley tubes.

I have found both to be excellent products and I have never experienced any of the customer service issues with either company as others have disclaimed.

Extened chokes are Briley only. Design of Kolar tubes precludes this.

I did have a 20 ga upper tube extractor bend and the barrel/tube needed to go back to Briley 4 times before adquatel fixed. Before that 4th time, the extractor kept bending. Now its fine.

But this is one anecdotal story and this kind of experience has not put me off either company whose products and services I continue to use.

I have cracked a 20 ga chamber with both company's products. Both companies fixed them for free and turned them around very quickly.

Just pick one.

·
Registered
855 Posts
Companion tubes are built to fit the gauge they are made for, fairly well but they allow for some sins. A specificly made for barrel tube, will absolve those sins......they will still be there but the tube was made to accommodate them or they WILL NOT make the tube. Or perhaps they cannot make the tube unless the barrel is fixed. It's the manufacturer's call on custom made tubes as they then have the barrel in their shop. You capish?

I hope this is of some help.

Ernie

1 - 17 of 17 Posts