Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently shoot a Kolar TA Low Profile Lightweight and I'm considering the high rib standard weight.

I originally bought it for the ability to shoot sporting clays and trap. However, I never shoot sporting clays and have others guns to do so. I have a long neck and do have to reach down to the comb. I think the max rib would help me, but I don't know.

I'm looking for advice from those that have shot it and/or made the switch from the low to high rib.

I shoot 100% POI.

Thanks!

·
Registered
300 Posts
Lucky! I want that same gun. A buddy at our club shoots one (shoots it so well it's sick, mind you) and he offered for me to give it a try. I currently shoot a Citori 725 sporting. The first two things I noticed immediately were 1) How much more upright my whole posture was. It was very natural feeling. The gun came right up to my face and I didn't feel like I was crinking my neck to fit myself to the gun. 2) How balanced it was. You're probably already familiar with that part of the Kolar though. :)

Alex

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
I have owned two high ribs and two mid ribs. I purchased a mid rib on a Wednesday and ran a 100 straight on Thursday so I liked that gun a lot. My last one was a high rib and I could never get that gun dialed in the way I wanted it so down the road it went. They are both nice guns but if you have no previous experience with a high rib it most likely will frustrate the hell out of you. I was raised on the higher ribs so I am parcel to them.
The one thing i grew to not like about Kolars is when you shoot a few days in a row they start feeling like a led pipe in your hands. No problem when I was a tad younger but now, not for me.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the feedback. I do love my Kolar lightweight. It's a great shooting gun, but there's always that thought of, "maybe there's something better".

Curious if the high rib will give me an edge or just frustrate me

·
Registered
3,573 Posts
.....but if you have no previous experience with a high rib it most likely will frustrate the hell out of you.
Complete bull crap! People make up way too big of a deal out of high rib guns. Guess what? When you raise the rib, you raise the comb. Simple as that. So nothing changes, except the entire rest of the gun is moved down out of the way! No more seeing your sides of the barrel. No more seeing forend wood. No more seeing your fingers on the forend. Nothing but rib and bird! Awesome!

If you shoot a 1 3/4 inch drop at comb with a low rib, you'll still shoot a 1 3/4 inch drop at comb with a high rib! The relationship between your eye and cheekbone doesn't suddenly change because you bought a high rib gun!

Yes, Kolar guns are heavy, thank God!

I moved from a Browning to a high rib Kolar and was shooting 25s the first time out. Again, people try to make high rib guns out to be some mysterious boogie man, they aren't!

·
Registered
3,573 Posts
I have a long neck and do have to reach down to the comb. I think the max rib would help me, but I don't know.

I'm looking for advice from those that have shot it and/or made the switch from the low to high rib.
The high rib won't help straighten out your neck as much as getting a gun with a lot of drop at the heel, butt pad. Do you have an adjustable butt pad on your current low rib? Is it dropped quite a bit? If not, you should look in to it.

·
Registered
3,573 Posts
This is how you straighten out a long neck. Clay's gun has a custom 3 inch rib, and then he has the comb raised up about the same 3 inches. I believe DeVault made the rib for the K80, and Clay might have made the custom comb posts himself.

Clay is probably 6'7" or better, very long neck!

·
Registered
300 Posts
if you have no previous experience with a high rib it most likely will frustrate the hell out of you.
The only frustrating thing I experienced was having to give the gun back to my buddy ;-) I loved the high rib! I broke every clay I shot at with that gun. I'm not saying it was just the high rib. It was all of it together. But, the high rib wasn't frustrating in anyway... For me that is.

Alex

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks guys. I agree that having the high rib isn't that much different than the actual sight picture.

What's all this talk about not twisting the hi rib guns on angles?

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
Complete bull crap! People make up way too big of a deal out of high rib guns. Guess what? When you raise the rib, you raise the comb. Simple as that. So nothing changes, except the entire rest of the gun is moved down out of the way! No more seeing your sides of the barrel. No more seeing forend wood. No more seeing your fingers on the forend. Nothing but rib and bird! Awesome!

If you shoot a 1 3/4 inch drop at comb with a low rib, you'll still shoot a 1 3/4 inch drop at comb with a high rib! The relationship between your eye and cheekbone doesn't suddenly change because you bought a high rib gun!

Yes, Kolar guns are heavy, thank God!

I moved from a Browning to a high rib Kolar and was shooting 25s the first time out. Again, people try to make high rib guns out to be some mysterious boogie man, they aren't!
OK mister know it all. If what you sure saying is true why do people struggle to shoot a high rib sometimes. If it was as simple as you seam to have it figured then know body would ever shoot a bad score with one. Either you like them or don't. Plain and simple

·
Registered
3,573 Posts
OK mister know it all. If what you sure saying is true why do people struggle to shoot a high rib sometimes. If it was as simple as you seam to have it figured then know body would ever shoot a bad score with one. Either you like them or don't. Plain and simple
Why do some people struggle to shoot a low rib sometimes? I'm just telling it how it is. Way to big of a deal is made out of high rib guns. They aren't that difficult to shot.

Even you said:

I purchased a mid rib on a Wednesday and ran a 100 straight on Thursday so I liked that gun a lot.
So if you would have shot a 95, would you have liked it? How about a 90? You can't judge a gun on one shoot! and that's what a lot of guys do.

Experienced shooter, good average with a low rib gun, takes a couple shots with a high rib, doesn't even properly fit him maybe, and he misses some targets. Suddenly the high rib is the problem. Most likely not.

Now, for a shooter who shoots a 60/40 low rib, if they were to try out a gun with a super high slanted rib shooting a 100/0, that might explain some time needed to get used to. But most high ribs are still in the 60/40 range.

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
Bud they are not that difficult to shoot. Some people struggle with them. I don't. I am a AA/27 ATA shooter. I don't know where you are in all this but I have a 98.3 singles average so I think I know what going on about what is good or bad for me and thats all that matters and what is good or bad for me doesn't mean shit for other people. At the end of the day
point of impact is point of impact know matter what gun you shoot but like I said before there is some folks that can't shoot a higher rib. All depends what you get use to or how long you want to spend getting it right.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Goose2 - thanks. I'm AA and 27 yrd too. I've worked hard for a long time to get to where I am and don't want to take a step back. Think I need to find a demo and put a flat through it. Then I'll know.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Kolar315,

I hope this isn't thread jacking, but how does one go about demoing a high end gun like you speak of? I think it's a good idea you have. I'm saving my pennies for a "for real" trap gun and would love to try before I buy if possible.

So, I'm new to trap but not new to low ribs. I already mentioned how I loved the high rib Kolar I tried. The logic that "people sometimes struggle with a high rib" means that you "will most likely be frustrated as hell" is weak logic at best. Even if you did, which I doubt you would, is that a reason not to get one? No. I'm jealous you get to be in a situation to be buying one. The trap life is good life! :)

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Kolar has demo guns available and some of their vendors do as week. You can demo any gun from any big name mfg at the three big shoots at the cardinal center, grand and other large shots where the vendors are present. I would look up their closest vendor to you and see if they have a demo available. Otherwise ask someone at your local club. Most guys are happy to let someone shoot their gun

·
Registered
402 Posts
Kolar has demo guns available and some of their vendors do as week. You can demo any gun from any big name mfg at the three big shoots at the cardinal center, grand and other large shots where the vendors are present. I would look up their closest vendor to you and see if they have a demo available. Otherwise ask someone at your local club. Most guys are happy to let someone shoot their gun
That's probably true. Not sure why but the majority of the "better" shooters at my club seem to shoot a K-80. I'd really like to shoot one and see what the difference is between it and my Perazzi. Unfortunately for me the guys I know well enough at my club to ask if I can shoot their gun all shoot a release trigger. There's also only one guy I know of that shoots a Kolar and he shoots a release.

Hopefully a vender will be available at the upcoming Texas state shoot where I can demo a K gun and maybe even a Kolar.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Kolar315,

I hope this isn't thread jacking, but how does one go about demoing a high end gun like you speak of? I think it's a good idea you have. I'm saving my pennies for a "for real" trap gun and would love to try before I buy if possible.
Calendar

The link has all the locations Kolar will be and their dealers also travel to large events with demo guns. My daughter and I shot one last week at the WTA Homegrounds

·
Registered
68 Posts
You may want to look into getting an Olympic style rib. A guy that shoots out of omaha was nicknamed the giraffe because he is so tall and skinny. he shoots a perazzi with an olympic rib

1 - 20 of 32 Posts