Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased a K80/Kolar carrier barrel and tubes on this site. It appears the tube ejectors rely on just a small metal tip on the end to absorb all of the force required to eject a fired hull. Today one sheared off completely while I was competing in a registered skeet shoot.

Can these be welded/rebuilt or am I in for a major expense? Some of the other tube ejectors show similar wear setting in. Ron

·
Registered
14,130 Posts
I can't envision what you're talking about, can you post a pic or two?

Carrier barrel extractors and ejectors function identically to non-carrier barrel ones. Only difference is either the chamber or ejector (not extractor) has been pinned to prevent the loading of a 12ga shell. Thats the ONLY purpose of the pin, and has nothing to do with ejection.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
The tubes are notched and only fit into the carrier barrel when the notch lines up with the pin in the barrel by the shell rim.Both ejectors line up together in the barrel.The pin you are talking about is just for alignment and so you don't put a 12 gauge shell in the carrier barrel.Look at the tubes and you will see the ejector.Or call Kolar.

·
Registered
14,130 Posts
Palos- That's how they are done now (pinned chamber).

The previous method was to pin the 12ga ejector.

This was problematic because it meant additional fitting to replacement extractors and replacement ejectors. The new pin location means there is only a small amount of additional labor when fitting new subgauge chambers.

It also means some dummy can't take the 12ga ejectors out and proceed to fire 12ga shells through the carrier barrels.

·
Registered
923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I talked to Kolar today. For $695 plus some shipping money, they can update all the tubes to the new system. It will take a couple of weeks. They did not offer to replace the old extractor. It is probably a fair price. I really like this set. Ron

1 - 5 of 5 Posts