Trapshooters Forum banner

Kolar Adjustable Rib Problems

2898 17
I have a Kolar Combo that I purchased about five years ago. The last few months my doubles shooting has gone to hell on me. Not that I am a very good shooter anyway, but I sure do not need the help shooting bad scores. We just finished the Washington State PITA state shoot. The first Doubles event my score was bad enough o make me think about not shooting doubles ever again. I am a "B" Class Doubles shooter and do not think I will ever get to be an "A" Class Doubles shooter. The fist Doubles I walked off the line with an embarrassing score of 70, going 31/39. In the middle of the second Doubles event, I remembered that a few years ago. I had problems with the adjustable rib moving and changing the point of Impact. I could not wait to finish the first 50 so that I could check the rib again to see if it had moved. I shoot Doubles with my rib all the way up so that it shoots as flat as possible. I walked off the line and got my allen wrench out. The lock screw was tight. First thing I did was check it to make sure it was tight. I then loosed up the set screw so I could check to see if the rib was still as far up as possible. I took a FULL three turns on the adjustment screw to get the rib back up to the top. I then went out for the second fifty and had an 8 on the first post and finished with a 47 only missing one more target after the first post.

Like I said above, I am a "B" Class Doubles shooter, but I expect a score of 44-46 every time I go out. The rib changes slowly over time and I do not realize it until after I have been struggling for a while. I called Kolar this morning and talked to one of the gunsmiths back there. He recommended putting Blue Loktite on the set screw and putting the set screw back in. There is a Doctor at our gun club who also has a Kolar and is having the same problem with the rib on his double barrel moving. We cannot be the only ones having this problem. We do not have this trouble with our single barrels only our double barrels. For those out there that are having or have had this problem. What have you done to fix this. I had another shooter tell me that Kolar is aware of this problem but when I talked to the Gunsmith this morning he did not tell me that "We have a fix for this" just to try Blue Loktite.

Thank you,

Jim Bradbury
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Registered
223 Posts
I had the same problem with the same gun at the same shoot. I keep my rib all the way down in the front but it kept creeping up. Also called Kolar this morning and got the same response--loosen the set screw, blue Loctite, retighten. I'll try it. Not a good solution for someone who adjusts their rib for different events.

· Registered
138 Posts
I had the same problem with my kolar combo on both barrels had it back to kolar 3 times ,they replaced rib on top single , hardware on both barrels and still had problems with ribs moveing.finaly traded gun off to end my nightmare.nice guns but dont like rib adjustmens system.

· Premium Member
609 Posts
That would be frustrating. I used to think adjustable ribs were the greatest thing since sliced bread but having a Browning combo for a couple years now, unsingle adjustable over-under not, I'm rethinking my preference. Just upgraded my sporting gun to a Kolar with fixed taper rib. Fantastic firearm.
Unless something changes, I'll be shooting a Kolar combo in January. Fixed or adjustable? Not so clear anymore.

· Registered
474 Posts
I would think it would be fairly simple to put a dimple for the end of the set screw to rest in so it couldn't move, but I haven't paid much attention to how a Kolar rib adjustment is built. That it pretty much how a Krieghoff rib is. Once mine is set I never move a rib, I adjust the stock to shoot a bit higher for handicaps.

· Registered
194 Posts
I had this issue with my Kolar as well. I had bought my Kolar second hand and it is actually missing a post on the front end that the screw tightens into. I’m going to send it to Kolar this winter to get fixed. But for the time being they replaced the screw that the rib goes up and down on with a larger one so it doesn’t travel as easy. Works great. Still look at it in between rounds and maybe have to give it a quarter turn up. Anyway something for you to look at. Make sure you have the front post for the screw to lock onto! Good luck.

· Registered
54 Posts
I had this issue with my Kolar as well. I had bought my Kolar second hand and it is actually missing a post on the front end that the screw tightens into. I’m going to send it to Kolar this winter to get fixed. But for the time being they replaced the screw that the rib goes up and down on with a larger one so it doesn’t travel as easy. Works great. Still look at it in between rounds and maybe have to give it a quarter turn up. Anyway something for you to look at. Make sure you have the front post for the screw to lock onto! Good luck.
The barrel was received by Kola today. They said it is a well known problem and would take care of it.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.