Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are the pros and cons of one over the other? What factors should drive the decision to get either a .740 or .750? Thanks for any advice
Frank

·
Registered
13,620 Posts
Since they lightened the 740 bore barrels, I doubt there's a noticeable difference between the two. The 750 bore used to be advantageous because it was 4-5oz lighter than the 740 bore.

If I were to buy a new kolar, assuming the new 740 bore barrels are as light or lighter than the old 750s, I'd go w/ the 740.

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
I have not handled myself, but I believe Jeff told me a while back that the new .740 bore (I think they are calling them Max Lite) barrels were 3.5 oz less than the Semi-light .750 bores in a 30" barrel.

SW

·
Registered
348 Posts
Kolar has or had .735, .740 and .750 bore barrels. I hear rumors that you can opt for either of those three.

The larger the bore, the lighter in weight is the barrel (assuming the OD of the barrel and material are the same) and also that translates to thinner barrel wall thickness. However, with the Max Lite barrel, I am not sure if the .740 bore has thicker barrel walls. I like a heavier gun myself for trap use. My Kolar has .740 bores and it is about 6 years young and still going strong.

The .750 bore has about 1.5 cubic inches more of interior barrel volume vs the .740. That is probably a rather useless factoid.

I am not sure if .740 chokes can be used in the .750 bored barrels…. there would be a .01" ridge or step… that is a concern I would imagine.

Art

·
Banned
9,042 Posts
Though I have not shot the .750 bore, I noticed the .740 bore in cold weather (12 - 15 degrees), had some ttthhhhoopers. The O/U barrels of the combo seemed very front heavy to me. This was a 2006 model year.

I have to say that they are very nice guns, and a very solid feel at lockup. I have been shooting the same loads since 2001, and have not had an off sounding load in my .732 barrels in all weather. Maybe just luck, or maybe not.

I would choose the .740 barrels. for the un-single. The O/U barrels I would have to feel if they are different or not, now.

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
JMO--I have owned (5) Kolar combo's--(2) .750 bore and (3) .740 bore. The .740 bore guns JUST pattern better for me. I will NEVER own a .750 bore again. REMEMBER the KOLAR is made in AMERICA !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Joe joe90t

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
It strikes me as strange that people talk about the lighter barrele being an advantage and then they add weight to the barrels or the stock.

I really don't think that 3.5 ounces means ANYTHING on a 9 pound + gun.

·
Registered
13,620 Posts
birdogs- It is a LOT easier and a LOT cheaper to add weight to barrels/a gun when its too light than it is to remove weight from barrels/a gun when its too heavy.

I've been on both ends of the spectrum, and can tell you from experience, I'd MUCH rather have to add weight than take it away.

·
Registered
68 Posts
skeet_man: "If I were to buy a new kolar, assuming the new 740 bore barrels are as light or lighter than the old 750s, I'd go w/ the 740."

Why would you prefer a 740 over a 750 bore if the weight was the same?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for all the comments and thoughts! For those who have sent PMs I have responded. I have shot a 750 a fair amount and seem comfortable with it but have not been able to shoot a 740 so I was looking any feedback tht would help me get an understanding of one over the other.
Thanks,
Frank

·
Registered
13,620 Posts
mwmham- Those who have shot and compared both say that the .740 will throw a better pattern w/ 1oz shells. I never really did extensive patterning with mine, but I was never able to get breaks w/ 1oz 12ga that were as hard as my 20ga, using the same constriction chokes.

·
Registered
433 Posts
I have owned combos in both and currently own 750 and prefer it over 740. Weight is only difference that I could perceive. just my 2 cents jim w.

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
My first Kolar was an early .740 bore, which was stolen. My current gun is a .750 bore, which is about five years old. I much prefer the .750 bore gun. I have not shot any of the newer barrels or configurations. Many people seem to have a problem with the weight of the gun and as a result go for the lighter barrels. I shoot mostly factory shells and have almost no blooper loads, even in the dead of an Ontario, Canada winter.

I suggest you try and see if you can shoot the different available ones. Depending on where you live and travel, a dealer or Kolar should not be too far away. See what they suggest, which may be affected by what game you shoot. Bill Malcolm

·
Registered
3,966 Posts
Bought and shot a Kolar .740 combo for a couple years. Decided I wanted a little fancier gun so I ordered a Kolar Elite combo with .750 barrels. Scores dropped immediately. I was so used to the heavier barrels that after a very miserable month of scores I traded the .750's for a set of 34/32 .740's. They locked right up to my receiver without any fitting. Never looked back.

·
Premium Member
275 Posts
So what is the actual weight of the O/U .740 and .750 barrels? The weight of my 32 inch 0.740 bore barrel with two Kolar choke tubes is 1771 grams (62.4 oz.) as weighed on a digital kitchen scale. My 30 inch Remington 3200 barrels weighed 1890 grams (66.7 oz). The 3200 feels lighter, but I can't tell much difference in the swing when shooting. Can someone weigh the .750 bore barrel and the lite .740 barrel?
Bob K.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts